GUNS!

The Berean

I have a preliminary design for a phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range. If anyone might want or need one let's talk. :p

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a preliminary design for a phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range. If anyone might want or need one let's talk. :p

40 watts sounds too low to be useful. Plasma cutters require far more current, and still only go a couple of inches. A decent one for shop use but not manufacturing can be 80 amps @ 230V for 18k watts.

Of course the first thing I thought of was Ah-nold in Terminator.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/276-pedersen

Immediately after WWI the U.S. Army began actively investigating the design of a semiauto rifle. By 1930 this work produced a shoot-off between two designs, one by John Garand and one by J.D. Pedersen. Both rifles used a new cartridge called Caliber .276. Accounts suggest that the competition was quite close, but the Garand was finally selected.

When the weapons-development folks approached Gen. MacArthur (then the Army Chief of Staff) with a request to build a quantity of operational test weapons, they were told that the .30-06 would remain the service caliber. The reason for this decision may have had as much to do with existing inventory as with anything else, but the decision stuck. The Garand's caliber was converted, and the rest is history
.​

History repeats itself.

a firearms forum I visit said:
The 2011 Caliber Effectiveness Test and Evaluation done by ARDEC in support of the PMSW Individual Carbine Competition yet again clearly demonstrated the superiority of 0.277" diameter bullets when carefully assessing the terminal performance variables during testing of identically constructed bullets of different calibers ranging from 5.56mm to 7.62mm against both unobstructed targets and those behind intermediate barriers. This once again confirmed that 6.8-7 mm projectiles are superior to smaller calibers, including 6.5 mm, for any new military carbine/rifle/MG. This is nothing new, as the both the Joint Service Wound Ballistic Integrated Product Team in 2002-2006, as well as the Joint USMC-FBI testing of 2006 found exactly the same results. In order to have adequate velocity, a cartridge with approximately 40 gr of powder capacity would be ideal. A case head smaller than current 7.62x51mm 0.473" would be preferable--say something with a base around .440-0.450". Ideally the projectile would be blind to barriers with consistent performance from 0-300 meters, should consistently penetrate in the ideal 12-18" range, is not effected by impact yaw variations, does not veer from shot line after impact, and is accurate enough for combat engagements out to at least 600 meters.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/276-pedersen

Immediately after WWI the U.S. Army began actively investigating the design of a semiauto rifle. By 1930 this work produced a shoot-off between two designs, one by John Garand and one by J.D. Pedersen. Both rifles used a new cartridge called Caliber .276. Accounts suggest that the competition was quite close, but the Garand was finally selected.

When the weapons-development folks approached Gen. MacArthur (then the Army Chief of Staff) with a request to build a quantity of operational test weapons, they were told that the .30-06 would remain the service caliber. The reason for this decision may have had as much to do with existing inventory as with anything else, but the decision stuck. The Garand's caliber was converted, and the rest is history
.​

History repeats itself.
My brother-in-law has a K31. Swwwwwwwwwweet.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Another good read.

The 6.5 Grendel is probably not the best for all around usage. It is great with longer range because it needs the longer barrel. The powder needed for a proper burn with that case to bullet shape is slow burning. And as such, they lose a bunch of velocity with a short barrel. Not so with the 6.8 SPC. But the 6.8 is not good at 700 meters. Then again, most rounds are not.

And at that distance. the 6.5 is even better than the 7.62 x 51.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So I ended up selling the carbine to a local guy for $350. I am sure I could have made more on gun broker, but I decided not to be a pig about it, and still ended up with a tidy profit.

Well the Feinstien gun ban didn't pick up any traction and it looks like I made out like a bandit. The price of brand new Hi Point 995 is back down to a reasonable level. I saw a brand new one on gunbroker today with a buy it now price of $235 I think it might be time to pick up I new one. This time I will go with the TS stock.

pix865676451.jpg

JosephR

Lol@ the 40 wAtt plasma rifle , I did however make a 5 watt class three blue burning laser and have videos of me burning stuff on YouTube if anyone is interested in them. Ahh also I read that scientist have slowed down a laser beam for several min suspended ,, light sabers comes to mind :)

But with guns I'm a AK 47 guy vs 223 for reliability and knockdown power. I you shooting at something over 400 yards you need a different caliber altogether .. And I carried a colt M16 A/2 for 4 years and I like them but if I have a choice ima go AK

Posted from the TOL App!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The lightsaber is an invalid concept. However, the plasma saber is not an invalid concept. In fact, the energy already exists, just not in something the size of a flash light.

JosephR

The lightsaber is an invalid concept. However, the plasma saber is not an invalid concept. In fact, the energy already exists, just not in something the size of a flash light.

I came up with the same thought ,that a plasma,,like baseball bat is more likely then a light saber..... but the real problem was that a laser keeps going forever so the new science in slowing down the path is cool,,but yes I agree with you on that.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But with guns I'm a AK 47 guy vs 223 for reliability and knockdown power. I you shooting at something over 400 yards you need a different caliber altogether .. And I carried a colt M16 A/2 for 4 years and I like them but if I have a choice ima go AK

Posted from the TOL App!

I think if you check we have more on the AK vs AR earlier in the thread. I don't have current plans to own either but, I would go with the AK as well. For the takes a licking and keeps on ticking factor.

As far as working on my marksmanship out to 400 yards I don't even have a place to shoot that far, but if I did I would probably be thinking bolt action of some sort.

JosephR

I think if you check we have more on the AK vs AR earlier in the thread. I don't have current plans to own either but, I would go with the AK as well. For the takes a licking and keeps on ticking factor.

As far as working on my marksmanship out to 400 yards I don't even have a place to shoot that far, but if I did I would probably be thinking bolt action of some sort.

Right on I feel the same way, and yup after well 300 actually I would choose my 308 bolt action.

The Berean

Physicist Michio Kaku hosted a TV show called Sci Fi Science: Physics of the Impossible. In one episode he tackled designing and building some sort "lightsaber".

Lohmeyer

If this has been covered I'm sorry.

I was wondering what does everyone have gun wise. Me, I am currently have nothing in my guns right now but have had many hand guns in the past?