Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

Arthur Brain

Word on the street is you thought it was a musical. :plain: Or were car shopping and became disoriented.

I'm not accountable for drunken scrabble players or Toyota & Oklahoma enthusiasts...

:plain:

Is it true you once watched The Wiz with Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon playing? :eek: So close on that one, weren't you...

Whereas you hit 'The Wall'...

:devil:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A friend of mine, a former rugby player, was talking musicals the other day...

Gave me an idea for a fresh take on an old classic: Gone With the Wind: the Musical.

Tunes?

What Shall I do/Frankly my Dear

Don't Know Nuthin' (bout birthin' no babies)

You Need Kissin (badly)

Fiddle-dee-dee

Carpet Bagger Blues

The Ol South's Fallen (and it can't get up)

I'm Not A Marrying Man

No Gentleman/No Lady

It Ain't Fittin

Yankees All Over Everywhere

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
DC won't make a truly entertaining movie without a complete re-re-rethink of everything.

1. Too serious. Refuses to poke even a little fun at itself and make viewing fun. These are magical people in leotards, after all, not epic Germanic opera.

2. Often too visually subdued, muted, dim or dark. Hasn't fully shaken off Burton. It's an old look now.

3. Tone is too gritty, too "real," carried over from Nolan. Find something new.

4. Characters are generally ridiculously overpowered. The recent energy-projecting version of Doomsday is the most absurd example ever. Metropolis fight with Zod was way overdone.

5. Infatuated with its own mythos. Yes, we know why Batman is partly deranged. We've seen his folks murdered a dozen times already. Yes we know that Superman is always angst-ridden, insecure and afraid he can't fit in...oh wait, that's the current one, Superboy. Christopher Reeve's character outgrew daddy issues and teen angst as a teen and learned who and what he was. Confidence vs lack. Adult vs teen.

6. The characters generally do not resemble authentic, developed, complex people (thus interesting and sympathetic) the way Marvel's usually do.

7. Increasingly blah music (in fairness, Marvel's music has been pretty blah from the start...DC has the edge here, barely).

The JL trailers indicate they're already cloning elements that work with Avengers. So there's that.
Wonder Woman was a huge step in the right direction.

Not that WW, Batman and Superman are from Stan Lee.
They're not even from Marvel. What do you have against Marvel, though?

Is it true you once watched The Wiz with Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon playing? :eek: So close on that one, weren't you...

:crackup:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Google? Marvel cancels BLM inspired comic. It is too late. All Marvel is off the table for me. Public sincere repentance is the only thing I will consider for future movies.

I'd have to read it to see if it really was inspired by the BLM craziness, but I did see a video that included some of the dialogue and I do agree that it was leftist propaganda, trying to push some idea of racial inequity and therefore enmity, that doesn't actually exist. At least not on the level they say it does. Which is why it was canceled, really. And sadly Marvel thinks it was because the characters were mostly black that it didn't get sales. They're clueless to the fact that propaganda only sells to a very small minority of people. And depending on the propaganda the amount of people who buy it may be extremely small.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
watching the new "The Mummy" at the moment

watched Wonder Woman :thumb: , Alien: Covenant :thumbsdown: , John Wick 2 :thumb: , Logan :plain: and GOTG 2 :thumb:

Link killed--

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardofOz

rp5x1.jpg

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

watched Wonder Woman :thumb: , Alien: Covenant :thumbsdown: , John Wick 2 :thumb: , Logan :plain: and GOTG 2 :thumb:

Link Killed--
I tried it.
It opened up another widow that would not let me exit.
Had to turn computer off and restart.
How did you get it to play without all that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Can't tell what doser is saying but if any mod happens by you should negate the link. It's to a channel that allows stolen property to be viewed by others. I don't know of any protection that would extend to someone who willingly and knowingly watches a film that isn't in release outside of the theater and the link might expose this site to some measure of liability as a promoter.

Have a good summer.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Thinking about over rated movies...especially where the recipient also ended up with an Oscar. Now I'm not talking about years where one really good movie beat another really good movie. I'm mostly talking about years when a film like "How Green Was My Valley" beat out Citizen Kane. That sort of thing. The sort where ten years or better later we no one talks about the winner but everyone remembers the loser. That sort of thing.

Who Won/Who Got Shafted. My Top 11

2012: Argo, a good film, beats out Lincoln, a great one.

2011: The King's Speech---Inception

2009: The Hurt Locker--Inglorious Basterds, Up.

2004: Million Dollar Baby--Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

1998: Shakespeare in Love---Saving Private Ryan

1989: Driving Miss Daisy--Field of Dreams

1985: Out of Africa--Witness

1979: Kramer vs Kramer--Apocalypse Now

1968: Oliver--The Lion in Winter

1952: The Greatest Show on Earth--High Noon

1941: How Green Was My Valley--Citizen Kane, The Maltese Falcon