Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The girls just loved Despicable Me, 2, and the Minion movie.

I also found it entertaining, in parts that they didn't get.

musterion

DC won't make a truly entertaining movie without a complete re-re-rethink of everything.

1. Too serious. Refuses to poke even a little fun at itself and make viewing fun. These are magical people in leotards, after all, not epic Germanic opera.

2. Often too visually subdued, muted, dim or dark. Hasn't fully shaken off Burton. It's an old look now.

3. Tone is too gritty, too "real," carried over from Nolan. Find something new.

4. Characters are generally ridiculously overpowered. The recent energy-projecting version of Doomsday is the most absurd example ever. Metropolis fight with Zod was way overdone.

5. Infatuated with its own mythos. Yes, we know why Batman is partly deranged. We've seen his folks murdered a dozen times already. Yes we know that Superman is always angst-ridden, insecure and afraid he can't fit in...oh wait, that's the current one, Superboy. Christopher Reeve's character outgrew daddy issues and teen angst as a teen and learned who and what he was. Confidence vs lack. Adult vs teen.

6. The characters generally do not resemble authentic, developed, complex people (thus interesting and sympathetic) the way Marvel's usually do.

7. Increasingly blah music (in fairness, Marvel's music has been pretty blah from the start...DC has the edge here, barely).

The JL trailers indicate they're already cloning elements that work with Avengers. So there's that.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Smokey and the Bandit always improves my mood.

First up is a wide angle of the defunct Lakewood speedway. A track that ran around that lake. It looks different now, as the movie studio is expanding their buildings on the property.

smokey%201.jpg

Next is the same spot from a reverse angle. There is not much left of the grandstands. That is the stone foundation. The infield is where Big and Little Enos Burdette were sitting when little Enos said "your about to have your evening ruined for you".

smokey%202.jpg

Third is the gate at the end when "The Snowman is coming through" and he turns into the fairgrounds and plows into the patrol cars. The blue arrow is the path of the truck, the red arrow is where the police blockade was located.

smokey%203.jpg

And for a little detail is the following with descriptions. The red arrow is where his car was flipped backwards at the end. He said "apprehend that horse *** for reckless driving". The blue arrow is where his hammock was at the start. This was 1976. It doesn't look like that any more. It was kind of a terrace in the movie, now it is just a hill. The white ovals represents the roller coaster seen in the film called the Greyhound. The midway was in front of it where he walks and makes the deal.

smokey%204.jpg

And the last one is the Mulberry bridge jump. All that is left is some wooden posts.

smokey%20bridge%20jump.jpg

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So a friends comment elsewhere had me thinking again about periods of time and the movies they produced.

For instance my favorite 10 by decade starting with the 80s...

1980s:
1. Field of Dreams
2. Raiders
3. Gandhi
4. Chariots of Fire
5. Blade Runner
6. Reds
7. The Verdict
8. A Fish Called Wanda
9. Die Hard.
10. Witness/The Empire Strikes Back

1990s:
1. Sense and Sensibility
2. Pulp Fiction
3. The Shawshank Redemption
4. Apollo 13
5. Silence of the Lambs
6. The Usual Suspects
7. Unforgiven
8. Sling Blade
9. LA Confidential
10. The Sixth Sense/Babe

2000:
1. Gladiator
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3. Lord of the Rings
4. Inglorious Basterds
5. Unbreakable
6. Amelie
7. Open Range
8. Castaway
9. Gran Torino
10. The Bourne Ultimatum

2010--: So far...
1. Lincoln
2. Inception
3. The Grand Budapest Hotel
4. Shutter Island
5. True Grit
6. The Descendants
7. Skyfall
8. Django Unchained
9. John Wick
10. The Martian

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
AB's top films

1. Konga
2. Gigli
3. Phantom Menace
4. Bio-Dome
5. Spice World
6. Speed Two: Cruise Control
7. Battlefield Earth
8. Batman and Robin
9. Leonard Part 6
10. Jupiter Ascending

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:shocked:

Wha...??

How dare you sir?!!!!

Never in all my born days...rant...harrumph...blather etc!

:madmad:

And anyway, you missed out 'Garfield'...

:plain:
I had it and Gymkata tied for honorable mention, along with a few other near misses on your video rental list, which included:

The Ice Age Director's Cut Collection

London Has Fallen Directors Cut (almost entirely comprised of the credit sequence)

Dirty Grandpa

And, of course Yoga Hosers, the Directors...well, no...

Arthur Brain

I had it and Gymkata tied for honorable mention, along with a few other near misses on your video rental list, which included:

The Ice Age Director's Cut Collection

London Has Fallen Directors Cut (almost entirely comprised of the credit sequence)

Dirty Grandpa

And, of course Yoga Hosers, the Directors...well, no...

I watched the original 'Solaris' the other night thank you so very much. Keep your despicable (you) films and heinous associated somewhere else!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I watched the original 'Solaris' the other night thank you so very much.
Word on the street is you thought it was a musical. :plain: Or were car shopping and became disoriented.

Keep your despicable (you) films and heinous associated somewhere else!
Is it true you once watched The Wiz with Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon playing? :eek: So close on that one, weren't you...