Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Also in 62 Jack Lemmon was nominated for Best Actor for his appearance in another great movie that was, "Days of Wine and Roses."

Not only that, but in the same year Kirk Douglas starred in what he consider his best film, "Lonely are the Brave." But no nomination for him or the movie.

What a great year for the movies.
Hadn't thought on that particularly, but yeah, it was one of the better ones. :think:

68 wasn't bad either: The Graduate. Bullit. The Odd Couple. The Lion in Winter. Planet of the Apes. The Thomas Crown Affair. Funny Girl. Rosemary's Baby, 2001, A Space Odyssey.

1993 had:
Schindler's List
Groundhog Day
The Fugitive
Jurassic Park
Tombstone
Philadelphia
Sleepless in Seattle
The Firm
The Pelican Brief
The Piano
Mrs. Doubtfire
Sommersby
Dave
Malice
Rudy
Searching for Bobby Fischer

James36

Cliff's best work, though he brought instant credibility to any film he was in...I should, in fairness, also say that while I'm with you on the choices offered by you for 89 I'll still take Field of Dreams over anything that year. It's Capra come back from the grave. :)

I thought the winner was the weakest of the four films considered.

I'd take them:

1. Field of Dreams
2. My Left Foot
3. Dead Poets Society
4. Born on the 4th of July
5. Driving Miss Daisy

I have to say that your list is absolutely brilliant! I really enjoyed Dead Poets Society!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sequels or remakes, and sometimes it's nearly impossible to tell the difference, are behind Hollywood's profit margins and its doom if trends continue. In that spirit, I present one list of the

Top 10 Worst Remakes of All Time

Get Carter, 2000: because remaking a Michael Cain classic is as pointless as most of the Rocky movies.

Arthur, 2011: because the charming wore off films about loveable alcoholics long before this one was made.

Around the World in 80 Days: a passable original likeable largely for its cast and light treatment of the adventure. The remake made the mistake of having a brighter star in the second position, as Chan's Passepartout steals the show easily from Coogan's wan Fogg without the film being written to accommodate the shift.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, 2005: one in a series of poor choices and worse movies that began to unravel Depp's career and reputation.

The Pink Panther, 2006: only served to underscore the brilliance of Peter Sellers in absence and how we'd come to settle and overestimate less.

The Longest Yard
, 2005: a very funny original is reproduced without finding the soul of that effort.

King Kong (any year that isn't 1933): because it was never about special effects.

Love Affair, 1994: a film made three times, first with Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne in a very good tale of love and redemption. Then remade with a more comedic flair with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr, a more popular but less critically successful version. Then Warren Beatty and his wife decided to take a hack at it and boy did they. :plain:

The Karate Kid, 2010: a charming original gives way to a travesty of, well, no, not Biblical proportions. That honor is reserved for my last pick:

Ben-Hur, 2016: now THAT'S a failure of Biblical proportions.

Arthur Brain

Just watched this last night and, it was an experience..."Come And See".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/?ref_=tttr_tr_tt

17a114cfc507643790142e815bb63e5c--photoshoot-ideas-movie-posters.jpg

Regarded as one of the finest war movies ever made and it isn't hard to see why. Ostensibly the story of an idealistic young boy, enthusiastic to join the Soviet resistance movement against the Nazis and his gradual exposure to the brutality and horrors of war it packs one heck of a punch. The unfolding scenes of barbarism are often shot from his perspective as if the viewer is amid the events on screen. Packed with inventive cinematography, the stark use of close ups on characters, metaphorical and sometimes surreal and hallucinogenic imagery and the abstract use of sound it's a powerful journey into just what the base effects of war and man's inhumanity has on those defenseless to fight against it. The drawn out Nazi invasion and subsequent butchering of nigh on an entire village is an unforgettable sequence, made all the more sobering because it was far from rare to occur and the director had seen unforgettable horrors himself. Never gratuitous, never overtly graphic, it makes it's anti war message using more effective means than mere gore or shock. It draws the viewer in in a way few films do and as a piece of film making it deserves to be seen just in itself. Despite the subject matter there's something almost lyrical about certain segments. Spielberg aired this to cast and crew while making 'Schindler's List' and it at least stands next to possibly Spielberg's finest ever film IMO.

The title of the film refers to Revelation "And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see! And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth."

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Best Sports Movies

1. Chariots of Fire
2. Hoosiers
3. Bull Durham
4. Rocky
5. Field of Dreams
6. The Natural
7. Raging Bull
8. Draft Day
9. Brian's Song
10. Jerry Maguire

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Temp Banned
Best Sports Movies

1. Chariots of Fire
2. Hoosiers
3. Bull Durham
4. Rocky
5. Field of Dreams
6. The Natural
7. Raging Bull
8. Draft Day
9. Brian's Song
10. Jerry Maguire
For baseball, my favorites are:
Bull Durham
Field of Dreams
The Natural
The Sandlot (1993)
A League of Their Own
Major League
The Bad News Bears

For football, my taste leans towards .....
Heaven Can Wait
The Longest Yard

For basketball .....
Hoosiers (hands down the best one ever)

For ice hockey ....
Slap Shot (1977 with Paul Newman)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
For baseball, my favorites are:
Bull Durham
Field of Dreams
The Natural
The Sandlot (1993)
A League of Their Own
Major League
The Bad News Bears

For football, my taste leans towards .....
Heaven Can Wait
The Longest Yard

For basketball .....
Hoosiers (hands down the best one ever)

For ice hockey ....
Slap Shot (1977 with Paul Newman)
I actually agree with all of that...go figure. Though I think you have to add Rudy to the football line up.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What - no "Bang the Drum Slowly" - about a dying baseball player - De Niro's breakthrough role, and one of greatest, most nuanced of his performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa3EdS3l1zs&app=desktop
I prefer the uplifting when it comes to sports and the movie never really resonated with me. I like most of De Niro's early work, but that one didn't do it for me. Maybe I should watch it again...

:cheers:

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Best Westerns of all time:

The Hanging Tree--Gary Cooper
Shane--Alan Ladd
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance--John Wayne
The Shootest--John Wayne
Rio Bravo--John Wayne
High Noon--Gary Cooper
High Plains Drifter-Clint Eastwood
Pale Rider--Clint Eastwood
True Grit--John Wayne
The Searchers--John Wayne
Winchester '73--Jimmy Stewart
Tombstone--Kurt Russell
Hombre--Paul Newman

Not necessarily in this order. However, 'The Hanging Tree' with Gary Cooper is my all time Favorite western. I recommend it to everyone. It's now out on Blu-ray. It also stars, Karl Malden and George C. Scott (His first movie.)

nikolai_42

I'm hoping this is a really freeform thread and that I haven't posted in it before (didn't have the time to go through 550 posts). I know I've mentioned some films before (in some thread...somewhere) but it's been a while and this seems like a reasonable place to (re)list some.

Just a list of films that stick out to me - I don't even know how to decide what my favorite movies are. There are too many ways to judge...

The Spanish Prisoner (and, really, anything by David Mamet)
Witness For the Prosecution (Charles Laughton)
The Browning Version (Finney - haven't seen Redgrave)
The Heroes of Telemark
A Man For All Seasons (Paul Scofield...don't even bother with Heston in this one)
Chariots Of Fire
The Name of the Rose
The Natural
The Naked Gun (I only)
300 (in spite of all the excesses)
Braveheart
The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill And Came Down A Mountain
El Cid
The Ten Commandments
Conspiracy Theory
The Insider
The Devil and Daniel Webster
The Four Feathers (only seen the recent remake)
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

musterion

Shane--Alan Ladd
The Shootest--John Wayne
Rio Bravo--John Wayne
High Noon--Gary Cooper
True Grit--John Wayne
Tombstone--Kurt Russell
Hombre--Paul Newman

Don't forget Unforgiven.

musterion

I like a lot of movies but when compiling lists I always think of the ones that stand up to repeat viewings and (mostly) never get old. In random order,

Fail-Safe
Citizen Kane
The Mummy (1932)
The Wizard of Oz
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Colossus: The Forbin Project
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
Taking of Pelham 123
The Naked Jungle
Conspiracy (HBO, 2001)
The Invisible Ray
Casablanca
Goldfinger

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm hoping this is a really freeform thread and that I haven't posted in it before (didn't have the time to go through 550 posts).
Don't worry about it if you have. Sometimes it's fun to try again after a long break then go back and search your posts to see if anything has changed. You have a good list. A few of them are on my all-time favorites list.

A Man For All Seasons (Paul Scofield...don't even bother with Heston in this one)
This and The Lion in Winter are bookends for me. Love both of them.

Chariots Of Fire
Great choice. I was worried the score would undermine it when it came out, but I don't believe it does.

The Natural
A Norman Rockwell version of the mythology of baseball, but in that context and as an experience it's pretty darn good.

Another top choice. The Ten Commandments too, though I prefer Ben Hur, and The Agony and the Ecstasy.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Shane--Alan Ladd
The Shootest--John Wayne
Rio Bravo--John Wayne
High Noon--Gary Cooper
True Grit--John Wayne
Tombstone--Kurt Russell
Hombre--Paul Newman
I have more than a few of yours on my list...my top ten would be:

The Searchers
Shane
High Noon
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Unforgiven
Once Upon a Time in the West
Red River
Tombstone
Rio Bravo
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Honorable Mentions:
Stagecoach
The Magnificent Seven (1960)
The Ox-Bow Incident
Winchester 73
The Big Country
Open Range
3 Godfathers

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Temp Banned
I guess folks have different views of what 'favorite' is.

There are movies that I thought were excellent and thought provoking and would recommend them.
But I don't want to sit and watch them again.
Mainly because they are emotionally draining.
Example: The Passion

My 'favorites' would be the ones that were so enjoyable that I could sit and watch them again and again.