General Sports Thread

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Gwynn had a lifetime average of .338. I also read once he hit .325 with 2 strikes.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
On baseball-reference.com...Near the end of his career in 1998 he only played in 127 games, yet still had 148 hits.

The Berean

So after being in the spotlight for 11 years now Michelle Wie has finally lived up to her ridiculous hype. She won the Ladies US Open yesterday, her first majors win. To be honest I thought she'd never win a major. Good for her.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/michel...in-her-remarkable-golf-journey-025018137.html

Bqx5rCICQAI2GCN.jpg:large

womens-open-golf.jpg

14uswo_s2_2767.CACHE-924x924-20140623111814.jpg

13473301.jpg

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So after being in the spotlight for 11 years now Michelle Wie has finally lived up to her ridiculous hype. She won the Ladies US Open yesterday, her first majors win. To be honest I thought she's never win a major. Good for her.

She almost made the cut in a few of the mens PGA tournaments she entered.

I remember back in 2005 Wie came to Pittsburgh to play in a mens U.S. Amateur Public Links sectional qualifier. She was 15 years old, and the only female to enter the tournament.

At 15 years old, she had the low score (she was the medalist) in the 36 hole tournament.

I knew quite a few of the guys who were in that tournament. They were scratch golfers. Yet, this little 15 year old girl beat them all.

I could never understand how Wie could do so good against the men, but never win a women's major.

Like you, I never thought she was going to win a women's major, and good for her !!!!

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Whether you like the NBA or not, this is going to be a very exciting week.

Today, LeBron James opted out of his contract. Two days ago Carmelo Anthony opted out of his contract. Kevin Love is also a free agent.

Thursday is the NBA Draft.

So, a lot is going to happen this week.

The Berean

She almost made the cut in a few of the mens PGA tournaments she entered.

I remember back in 2005 Wie came to Pittsburgh to play in a mens U.S. Amateur Public Links sectional qualifier. She was 15 years old, and the only female to enter the tournament.

At 15 years old, she had the low score (she was the medalist) in the 36 hole tournament.

I knew quite a few of the guys who were in that tournament. They were scratch golfers. Yet, this little 15 year old girl beat them all.

I could never understand how Wie could do so good against the men, but never win a women's major.

Like you, I never thought she was going to win a women's major, and good for her !!!!

Actually she was close to making the cut in PGA event, the 2004 Sony Open in Hawaii. The course that hosts the Sony Open was Wie's home course where she practiced for years. So you have this incredibly talented teenage girl golfer playing on her home course in a lessor PGA event. It's not surprising she had one great round where everything fell into place for her. But she still missed the cut.

IMO I place most of the blame on Wie's parents for Wie's golfing issues. Korean parents can be very demanding and controlling (my wife is Korean so I have seen this first hand). Wie's father had some ridiculous idea about his daughter playing on the PGA Tour. Wie's father made silly statements about using Tiger Woods a standard for his daughter. :doh: IMO this derailed Wie's development as a golfer. If I had a child as talented as Wie I would tell her to develop her golf game and go dominate the LPGA Tour for about 10 years. Then at age 28 after she had won a bunch of majors on the LPGA I'd advise her to go earn her PGA tour card. By earning the tour card the male players will respect her and accept her more easily. At this point she should be at her peak of her golfing career.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Korean parents can be very demanding and controlling (my wife is Korean so I have seen this first hand).

Is your wife an immigrant, first generation American, or other?

Do you know who Amy Chua is?

Chua's not Koren, she's Chinese, but still has that very demanding and controlling parent style that Asian immigrants/first generation have.

The reason I ask, is that I just recently read two of Amy chua's books: " Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother", and " The Triple Package: How Three Unlikely Traits Explain the Rise and Fall of Cultural Groups in America".

It is quite amazing how different the parenting style is of immigrant/first generation Asian parents compared to third generation Americans or greater. I'm a fourth generation American, so Chua's parenting style (an apparently Wie's parents) is very different than what I grew up with, and how I am as a parent to my kids.

The Berean

Is your wife an immigrant, first generation American, or other?
She's an immigrant. Her family moved to the US when she was a teenager.

Do you know who Amy Chua is?

Chua's not Koren, she's Chinese, but still has that very demanding and controlling parent style that Asian immigrants/first generation have.

The reason I ask, is that I just recently read two of Amy chua's books: " Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother", and " The Triple Package: How Three Unlikely Traits Explain the Rise and Fall of Cultural Groups in America".
I've heard of her. I find it ironic and a bit hypocritical that she married a Jewish guy. :chuckle: Asian women marrying a white guy is seen as a status symbol. I haven't read either book. Does her husband play a big role in the book? Did he play a major role in the raising of their children?

It is quite amazing how different the parenting style is of immigrant/first generation Asian parents compared to third generation Americans or greater. I'm a fourth generation American, so Chua's parenting style (an apparently Wie's parents) is very different than what I grew up with, and how I am as a parent to my kids.
That overbearing parenting style is hit or miss. Chua loves to spout off about the success of her children. But many children do poorly with these kinds of parents. In the end Tigers Mom's are not about giving their children the best possible home environment so the kids can thrive but more about getting kids to look successful so the parents look good. "My kids are doctors!".

http://www.slate.com/articles/doubl..._shows_the_parenting_method_doesn_t_work.html

Also Chua was raised by highly educated parents. Her father was a professor of Electrical Engineer and he mother had a degree in chemical engineering. It's highly likely that Chua was raised in a "tiger mom home". What is ironic is that there is lots talk of Tiger moms but not Tiger dads.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Can't believe no one is talking about LeBron and the impact of his and Anthony's decision will have on the NBA. Carmelo goes to the Bulls it's a whole new ball game. James goes home and the same thing...Bosh goes to Houston?

Just like that, three moves alter the power structure in the league overnight. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That's exactly what all the talking-heads have been doing. It's sickening.
Talking about the shift of power in a major sports league is sickening? Do you feel the same way about NFL free agency? Did you find yourself sickened by discussions over where Peyton Manning would land?

I think that's half the fun of the off season, but to each his own. :idunno:

Damian

Talking about the shift of power in a major sports league is sickening? Do you feel the same way about NFL free agency? Did you find yourself sickened by discussions over where Peyton Manning would land?

Yes, I did. But it wasn't anywhere near as sickening as the LeBron James saga.

Damian

Okay. I'd suggest you're a peculiar sort of sports fan then. I enjoy thinking and talking about free agent moves and their impact. Such is life.

It would appear that I am. If only more sports fans were like me, I wouldn't have to be subject to this kind of stupidity.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It would appear that I am. If only more sports fans were like me, I wouldn't have to be subject to this kind of stupidity.
Lighten up, Damian. Once you admit to following children's games played by grown men you by and large loose the right to point the old "stupid" finger at anyone...especially if it's foam.