Favorite Theologian?

glorydaz

Paul certainly thinks that if a person does not judge himself then that person will be judged:

"For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world" (1 Cor.11:29-32).​

Of course Paul is speaking about being judged for sinning. What else could he be speaking about?

Wood, hay and stubble? (Also, there were carnal people there in Corinth.)

1 Cor. 3:12-15 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.​

Last edited:

Danoh

If the present dispensation didn't begin at Acts 13 then when did it begin and present your evidence? I will give the evidence I think proves that it began at Acts 13.

Here are three quotes from the pen of Paul where he speaks of a "dispensation" that has been committed or given to him:

"If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me toward you" (Eph. 3:2).​

"Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God" (Col.1:25).​

"...a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me" (1 Cor.9:17).​

The "dispensation" which was committed to Paul is in regard to "God's grace", a "ministry", and a "gospel." Here Paul sums up his dispensational responsibility:

"But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God" (Acts 20: 24).

In Bibliotheca Sacra, a journal published by Dallas Theological Seminary, Roy L. Aldrich quotes these three verses (Eph.3:2; Col.1:25; 1 Cor.9:17) and then says, "These passages use the word 'dispensation' (or 'stewardship') to describe the sacred commission or trust to preach the gospel" (Aldrich, "A New Look at Dispensationalism," Bibliotheca Sacra, January-March, 1963, Vol.120, Number 477, p.43).

There can be no doubt whatsoever that the event which marks the beginning of the "dispensation of grace" is the preaching of the "gospel of grace." And that happened at Acts 13:49.

Nope. Its Acts 9. I'll address why, in a sec.

Like I said, your understanding is from that earlier Mid-Acts of O'Hair and even Early Bullinger.

Before Bullinger ended up at Acts 28, he used to hold the Acts 13 Position.

Which actually shows a flaw in his study approach and which in his case, ended him up at holding the Acts 28 Position.

Meaning, he never did rightly solve for where his study approach was off.

What else could it mean, but that.

In contrast, although O'Hair had flirted with the Acts 28 Position for a time, in the end he settled for the Acts 13 Position that Bullinger had already moved on from; thinking he (Bullinger) had found a much sounder approach.

In contrast, O'Hair was almost unique among all those men; his study approach was ever open to any further refinement anyone who might come along might point out to him.

As a result, for a time, O'Hair had flirted with the Acts 28 Position.

Because he was ever open to hearing a thing out, because he was aware that his study approach had failed to allow him to solve for seeming discrepancies between Paul's writings and his behaviours.

In the end, however, he shifted how he approached his studies.

In turn, that resulted in his ending up at, and settling on, the Acts 13 Position that Bullinger had once held.

It is fascinating how these great men influenced one another, often; unintentionally.

Though Ironside for example, had been a great enemy TO O'Hair, the great man (O'Hair) was nevertheless able to learn from the holes in his understandings that his run in with Ironside had resulted in his being able to see.

At which point, O'Hair would go back to the drawing board, and revise his thinking on one thing or another.

And he ever remained open to whomever might come along and help him understand a thing a bit better.

He was really almost unique in that quality.

Bullinger was also like that, but his study approach was a bit more flawed than O'Hair's.

Again, O'Hair remained ever open to revising his views.

Which brings me to why I hold the Acts 9 Position as the beginning of this present Dispensation: ever being willing to examine my own study approach.

The following being the result.

First of all, there is this...

1 Timothy 1:11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust. 1:12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; 1:13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. 1:14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

But there is also the Gentiles Paul had preached to BEFORE Acts 13.

I believe O'Hair simply did not see the following.

That he would have eventually, had he lived longer.

For we have their shoulders to stand on, and to build even finer distinctions on.

Baker was also not Acts 9.

Stam was Acts 9, but why was escapes me at the moment.

I'll have to check his huge commentary on Acts to see if he saw the following: Paul's activity in between Acts 9 and Acts 13...

Acts 9:28 And he was with them coming in and going out at Jerusalem. 9:29 And he spake boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus, and disputed against the Grecians: but they went about to slay him. 9:30 Which when the brethren knew, they brought him down to Caesarea, and sent him forth to Tarsus. 9:31 Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.

So he goes off to Tarsus. Where is that, and what did he do there?

Acts 21:39 But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city: and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people.

Tarsus was in Cilicia.

Next, note the following...

Galatians 1:20 Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not. 1:21 Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and Cilicia; 1:22 And was unknown by face unto the churches of Judaea which were in Christ: 1:23 But they had heard only, That he which persecuted us in times past now preacheth the faith which once he destroyed. 1:24 And they glorified God in me.

So in Acts 9, he left Jerusalem and headed for "the regions beyond" a huge 300 miles away to "the regions of Syria and Cilicia (which is where Tarsus was).

What did he do there?

We read in...

Acts 11:25 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

So we see that Barnabas headed out to those regions far beyond Jerusalem for to seek Saul.

So what did THEY do there, after Barnabas joined him, and BEFORE he returned with him to Antioch?

He joined Paul in preaching among the Gentiles there. We read about Paul and Barnabas' activities among said Gentiles, and their results, in the following...

Acts 15:22 Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren: 15:23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:

Acts 15:36 And some days after Paul said unto Barnabas, Let us go again and visit our brethren in every city where we have preached the word of the LORD, and see how they do.

15:40 And Paul chose Silas, and departed, being recommended by the brethren unto the grace of God. 15:41 And he went through Syria and Cilicia, confirming the churches.

The churches - plural.

There you have Paul's highly successful, Acts 9 ministry among "the heathen."

Galatians 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. 1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ. 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it: 1:14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers. 1:15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, 1:16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: 1:17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus. 1:18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days. 1:19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother. 1:20 Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not. 1:21 Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and Cilicia; 1:22 And was unknown by face unto the churches of Judaea which were in Christ: 1:23 But they had heard only, That he which persecuted us in times past now preacheth the faith which once he destroyed. 1:24 And they glorified God in me.

Galatians 2:1 Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also. 2:2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.

The Acts 9 Position.

Think on that. This gospel "among the heathen" that he had uniquely been separated unto was NOT a continuation of Israel's hope and promises - for as had been the case with their gospel (theirs had been handed down) Paul had not received his from any man, neither was he taught it, but by revelation of the Lord Himself to him, personally.

In contrast, their gospel and bits "world to come" being the same gospel that theirs had ever been; had been handed down unto them...

Hebrews 2:1 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip. 2:2 For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward; 2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; 2:4 God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will? 2:5 For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection the world to come, whereof we speak.

Not so with this Mystery gospel.

Mid-Acts to the max is fine.

But only so long as it is...

Acts 9.

:)

Nevertheless, Rom. 14:5, in memory of Rom. 5: 6-8 - in each our stead.

musterion

"For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world"
(1 Cor.11:29-32).​

So today we are not to judge ourselves in regard to our behavior?

If you are seeing believers struck dead because of sin, as that seems your point, let us know.

musterion

Here's a modern theologian who makes threats if you don't give her money.

Prosperity preacher Paula White, who also serves as the chair of President Trump’s Evangelical Advisory Board, is urging her followers to give a “first fruits” financial offering with the start of 2018, stating that there are “consequences” for those who don’t do so out of “ignorance or direct disobedience.”

http://christiannews.net/2018/01/08...ruits-offering-of-a-day-week-or-months-wages/

Jerry Shugart

If you are seeing believers struck dead because of sin, as that seems your point, let us know.

So you are not going to judge yourself in regard to your behavior because you think what Paul said in those verses is no longer in effect?

I got news for you. Even though you are saved any sins which you commit now separate you from having fellowship with the LORD. If you don't realize that then you don't understand that unholy things cannot fellowship with the LORD who is Holy.

"But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear" (Isa.59:2).​

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

Wood, hay and stubble? (Also, there were carnal people there in Corinth.)

Here is what Paul tells those who are already saved:

"Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry"
(Col.3:5).​

Those are just some of the things of which Christians are to judge themselves.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So you are not going to judge yourself in regard to your behavior because you think what Paul said in those verses is no longer in effect?

I got news for you. Even though you are saved any sins which you commit now separate you from having fellowship with the LORD. If you don't realize that then you don't understand that unholy things cannot fellowship with the LORD who is Holy.
"But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear" (Isa.59:2).​

I would like you to provide some examples of what sort of task to complete that you burden yourself with when you judge yourself of sin so that you can get back to having fellowship with the LORD.
:idunno:

Jerry Shugart

I would like you to provide some examples of what sort of task to complete that you burden yourself with when you judge yourself of sin so that you can get back to having fellowship with the LORD.

When a Christian judges himself in regard to sin he is confessing his sin to himself. And here are the verses which speak of confessing and fellowship:

"If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 Jn.1:6-9).​

Any sin which a Christian commits defiles him. And in the verses just quoted we read how the Christian is cleansed from defilement-"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Or perhaps you think that any sin which a Christian commits does not defile him?

We are to keep ourselves holy (Ro.12:1) and the only way that I know how to do that after I sin is to confess that sin.

Are you sure that the doctrine found in the Jewish epistles is not for those in the Body of Christ?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When a Christian judges himself in regard to sin he is confessing his sin to himself. And here are the verses which speak of confessing and fellowship:
"If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 Jn.1:6-9).​

Any sin which a Christian commits defiles him. And in the verses just quoted we read how the Christian is cleansed from defilement-"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Or perhaps you think that any sin which a Christian commits does not defile him?

We are to keep ourselves holy (Ro.12:1) and the only way that I know how to do that after I sin is to confess that sin.

Are you sure that the doctrine found in the Jewish epistles is not for those in the Body of Christ?
So your judgement of yourself is to confess your sins individually after each are committed and ask forgiveness of each of those individual sins?
Anything else you need to do, or is that it?

musterion

It is no longer I who sin. The flesh/old man is counted as crucified, and I - the new man - as dead and raised to newness of life in Christ. What, exactly, is left for me to judge? Put off, put away, that's one thing. In Eph 4:21, Paul says the old way of life has ALREADY been put off by the cross and the new man has ALREADY been put on.

Anyway, Paul in the passage you quoted is evidently citing an apostolic era fact that believers had become sick and died from sin. Do we see that happening today?

I got news for you. Even though you are saved any sins which you commit now separate you from having fellowship with the LORD.

Really? Then they're not all forgiven and Col 2:13 is false.

If you don't realize that then you don't understand that unholy things cannot fellowship with the LORD who is Holy.

If you say so.
"But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear"
(Isa.59:2).

Paul says I'm justified from all things and I have full and free access before the Throne.

Right Divider

Body part

You fail to take into account the context of 1 John. The WE and OUR is Israel, like in 2 Chronicles 7:14

Danoh

There is absolutely no evidence that Paul preached the gospel of grace to any Gentiles at Acts 9.

You have now proven yourself once more of that number on here whom I often do not bother laying out the basis of the Mid-Acts I hold to.

There is no point. Such only prove once more unable to grasp the obvious.

Such are that married to their errors.

But you have always been that way.

Here, some more, only for you to once more fail to see the obvious...

Acts 15:10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the LORD Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

15:12 Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.

15:23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia: 15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

15:36 And some days after Paul said unto Barnabas, Let us go again and visit our brethren in every city where we have preached the word of the LORD, and see how they do.

15:40 And Paul chose Silas, and departed, being recommended by the brethren unto the grace of God. 15:41 And he went through Syria and Cilicia, confirming the churches.

Assemblies that per a careful comparison of all that, with Acts 9 and Galatians 1, show Paul had preached grace to them in Acts 9.

But again, you are of the color by numbers type on here - if a passage does not assert a thing outright, then by default, it cannot imply through the multitude of passages the Scripture often implies one thing or another by.

As in Romans 8. Though it does come right out and teach a Trinity, it clearly implies it.

:think:

Acts 17: 11, 12.

Danoh

"Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry"

A better approach would be to study out what the Apostle of the Gentiles has to say on these issues.

That sin continues to be an issue in the life of a Believer, and as a result, that there is ever the need to address this issue, as well as how to, is very obvious in Romans thru Philemon.

Case in point - why even the need for such as the following "instruction in righteousness...under grace..."?

Romans 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

Again, it is the "how to" address sin this side of "ye are under grace" that many on both sides of this debate on here, are clearly off in.

Including even their response, when the above is even pointed out to them.

Gary K

Banned
Just curious about some people who post here but what theologian has had the most influence in regard to shaping your beliefs?

Thanks!

I don't know that there are any theologians who have shaped my beliefs. I never read theologians. My reasoning for this goes along the following line of thought that is based upon the promises of God.

Jesus promised that He would send the Comforter and that He would lead us into all truth. Paul said the Bereans were more noble than those in Thessalonica because they "searched the scriptures daily" to see if what Paul said was true. In other words they took Jesus at His word. They trusted Him to lead them into all truth, and they did the noble thing of searching the scriptures for themselves. This course of action was highly commended by Paul. And, the Bible itself tells us that the scriptures are as sharp as any two-edged sword and profitable for doctrine, reproof, and instruction in righteousness. What more could I ask for?

So, with the promise of Jesus to provide supernatural help in understanding the scriptures why would I go to a human source to learn? To me that is like turning from the rivers of living waters that flow from God to rivers of finite sources that cannot of themselves give life. We humans are all fallible, but the scriptures themselves tell us they are direct revelation from God. They are God-breathed.

Jesus also told us that we will be blessed according to our faith in Him. Thus, to trust Him to keep His promise to us seems like it is the best course of action. Why should I trust a another human to do what God Himself has promised to do for us: enlighten our hearts and minds with His presence. Seems to me that our infinite God can teach us far more about Himself than any human can ever hope to equal.

glorydaz

This is what Paul tells all those in the church.

He says quite clearly IF ye then be risen with Christ.....

Col. 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.​

This is what Paul says in Romans 8:13KJV....mortify through the Spirit (according to the "new creation"). We can't take any credit for that. "In which ye also walked....when ye lived in them." We don't live in them anymore.

Paul is simply explaining to us what happens when we are created IN CHRIST JESUS.

Col. 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: 6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: 7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.

This, too, is the work of the Spirit in us, as we are being conformed into His image.

Col 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. 9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:​

glorydaz

A better approach would be to study out what the Apostle of the Gentiles has to say on these issues.

That sin continues to be an issue in the life of a Believer, and as a result, that there is ever the need to address this issue, as well as how to, is very obvious in Romans thru Philemon.

Case in point - why even the need for such as the following "instruction in righteousness...under grace..."?

Romans 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

Again, it is the "how to" address sin this side of "ye are under grace" that many on both sides of this debate on here, are clearly off in.

Including even their response, when the above is even pointed out to them.

I notice you act like Paul didn't go on ....

Romans 6:17-18 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. 18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.​

glorydaz

I don't know that there are any theologians who have shaped my beliefs. I never read theologians. My reasoning for this goes along the following line of thought that is based upon the promises of God.

Jesus promised that He would send the Comforter and that He would lead us into all truth. Paul said the Bereans were more noble than those in Thessalonica because they "searched the scriptures daily" to see if what Paul said was true. In other words they took Jesus at His word. They trusted Him to lead them into all truth, and they did the noble thing of searching the scriptures for themselves. This course of action was highly commended by Paul. And, the Bible itself tells us that the scriptures are as sharp as any two-edged sword and profitable for doctrine, reproof, and instruction in righteousness. What more could I ask for?

So, with the promise of Jesus to provide supernatural help in understanding the scriptures why would I go to a human source to learn? To me that is like turning from the rivers of living waters that flow from God to rivers of finite sources that cannot of themselves give life. We humans are all fallible, but the scriptures themselves tell us they are direct revelation from God. They are God-breathed.

Jesus also told us that we will be blessed according to our faith in Him. Thus, to trust Him to keep His promise to us seems like it is the best course of action. Why should I trust a another human to do what God Himself has promised to do for us: enlighten our hearts and minds with His presence. Seems to me that our infinite God can teach us far more about Himself than any human can ever hope to equal.

And yet we are MEMBERS of His body.

Eph. 4:11-12 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: