Favorite Theologian?

glorydaz

I can understand how they might want that and yet I see the danger in that desire too.

Yeah, they might think that's what saves them. But, SofF also starts new testament churches with body ministry, and I've seen some wonderful believers come from that over the years. They have small in home assemblies all over, which is a good option to many of these regular churches. We had one in our own home when we were in Virgina....found like minded believers, and it was wonderful.

glorydaz

Yeah, me too.
One might get the impression that one that was not dunked in water is lacking grace.

I was also just thinking about the pride of showing your faith in that way. Not trying to minimize their enthusiasm.

I didn't see either of those. Most people had no idea of who had been baptised and who hadn't. I only witnessed a couple of new believers who were baptised, and they were riding the high of just being saved. I can remember how I felt....How I wanted to DO SOMETHING ....tell people how they could be saved, etc. I wasn't going to any assembly when I first got saved, and still I was eager to express my salvation in some concrete way.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't see either of those. Most people had no idea of who had been baptised and who hadn't. I only witnessed a couple of new believers who were baptised, and they were riding the high of just being saved. I can remember how I felt....How I wanted to DO SOMETHING ....tell people how they could be saved, etc. I wasn't going to any assembly when I first got saved, and still I was eager to express my salvation in some concrete way.
DO SOMETHING!
hehe!
I know what you mean.
:thumb:

Danoh

Yes, I do. But there are many in the Mid-Acts community who say that those who received the epistles of John will not be caught up to meet the Lord Jesus in the air because they are not members of the Body of Christ.

There are basically three MADs, Jerry.

Meaning one study approach, but that two veer off from on, here and there, more than the one.

Result?

There are bound to be these different understandings.

There is the MAD you hold to; which was a MAD still in transition, even as its proponents were sharing those understandings they were either only then coming to, or not yet CLEARER on.

O'Hair was like that, more than Stam.

O'Hair came to Mid-Acts largely on his own.

Which impacts study approach more than when one is taught it, unless one is a Stam.

Stam had his Mid-Acts handed down to him by his father; who learned it from someone else influenced by O'Hair.

Stam then went further with it as to his having been able to see those things that differ that his dad had not seen.

O'Hair then came to some further understandings through Stam.

And there is the MAD of those who came after them: the MAD of those who built on their shoulders; who eventually cleared up those seeming discrepancies in Matthew through Revelation.

And there is that other MAD: also around the time of Stam, Baker, and O'Hair - that then also emerging MAD that ended up at what Welch/Bullinger's Acts 28ers used to refer to as "Acts 28ers in Acts 9 clothing."

So, there are those three.

Together with some further differences here and there that sone groups and or individuals hold.

For example, there is now a growing group who hold to a kind of a Pre-Wrath Rapture.

The whole of it all remains a fascinating study in study approach and perception.

Acts 17: 11, 12.

musterion

What happens if a Christian does not judge himself in regard to his behavior?

Today? Apparently nothing in terms of what Paul wrote. Who among us could stand, otherwise?

In regard to the believing Jews who lived under the law

The Kingdom, and their eternal life, was in view when He said that, as Israel had not yet completely rejected Him.

Jerry Shugart

Today? Apparently nothing in terms of what Paul wrote. Who among us could stand, otherwise?

"For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world"
(1 Cor.11:29-32).​

So today we are not to judge ourselves in regard to our behavior?

glorydaz

"For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world"
(1 Cor.11:29-32).​

So today we are not to judge ourselves in regard to our behavior?

I think our own purified conscience does an adequate job of that.

Jerry Shugart

And Acts 13 is not it.

If the present dispensation didn't begin at Acts 13 then when did it begin and present your evidence? I will give the evidence I think proves that it began at Acts 13.

Here are three quotes from the pen of Paul where he speaks of a "dispensation" that has been committed or given to him:

"If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me toward you" (Eph. 3:2).​

"Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God" (Col.1:25).​

"...a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me" (1 Cor.9:17).​

The "dispensation" which was committed to Paul is in regard to "God's grace", a "ministry", and a "gospel." Here Paul sums up his dispensational responsibility:

"But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God" (Acts 20: 24).

In Bibliotheca Sacra, a journal published by Dallas Theological Seminary, Roy L. Aldrich quotes these three verses (Eph.3:2; Col.1:25; 1 Cor.9:17) and then says, "These passages use the word 'dispensation' (or 'stewardship') to describe the sacred commission or trust to preach the gospel" (Aldrich, "A New Look at Dispensationalism," Bibliotheca Sacra, January-March, 1963, Vol.120, Number 477, p.43).

There can be no doubt whatsoever that the event which marks the beginning of the "dispensation of grace" is the preaching of the "gospel of grace." And that happened at Acts 13:49.

Jerry Shugart

I think our own purified conscience does an adequate job of that.

Paul certainly thinks that if a person does not judge himself then that person will be judged:

"For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world" (1 Cor.11:29-32).​

Of course Paul is speaking about being judged for sinning. What else could he be speaking about?

Reactions: Lon