Favorite Theologian?

Jerry Shugart

He wouldn't count as a theologian, and I doubt he'd mind if he were still alive, but Miles Stanford was Acts 2 and collated many people's writings from the past couple hundred years about the believer's identity and position in Christ. Has helped me immensely in my walk.

Yes, Miles was a Pauline dispensationalist but for some reason he thought that the present dispensation began before Paul was converted. However, his "Green Letters" is maybe the best thing I have ever read in regard to spiritual growth. It is great and everyone should read it.

glorydaz

Yes, I do. But there are many in the Mid-Acts community who say that those who received the epistles of John will not be caught up to meet the Lord Jesus in the air because they are not members of the Body of Christ.

Ah....well, this does remind me of our disagreements about 1 John 1.

I'm unable to read John's letters without seeing two distinct groups. I can't help myself.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just curious about some people who post here but what theologian has had the most influence in regard to shaping your beliefs?

Thanks!
Augustine
Jonathan Edwards
John Owen
John Murray
John Calvin
Francis Turretin
Martin Luther
Heinrich Bullinger
Peter Martyr Vermigli
Bernardinus De Moor
James Durham
William Perkins
Herman Witsius
Herman Bavinck
Louis Berkhof
Wilhemus A'Brakel
William Ames
B.B. Warfield

Of those, Turretin probably is my first choice. Berkhof second. Calvin third. ;)

AMR

musterion

I'm unable to read John's letters without seeing two distinct groups. I can't help myself.

Same here. Confessional forgiveness is not ours, we have already been forgiven all sins in Him through faith. Israel had to confess in repentance and be baptized (Matt 3:6, Mark 1:5, 16:16; Acts 2:38...Numbers 5:6-7).

Jerry Shugart

Confessional forgiveness is not ours, we have already been forgiven all sins in Him through faith. Israel had to confess in repentance and be baptized (Matt 3:6, Mark 1:5, 16:16; Acts 2:38...Numbers 5:6-7).

What happens if a Christian does not judge himself in regard to his behavior?:

"For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world"
(1 Cor.11:29-32).​

In regard to the believing Jews who lived under the law why do you not think that they were eternally secure the moment when they believed with the following words of the Lord Jesus spoken to them in view?:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life"
(Jn. 5:24).​

Jerry Shugart

What does Dick York say about 1 John 1:9?

And do you think that he is right when he says this?"

Baptism We believe in the necessity of water baptism by immersion as an act of obedience to our Lord's command. (Matt. 28:19; Mark 16:15-16; Acts 8:36-38)

When Paul speaks of the unity of the Spirit he mentions "one baptism." Which baptism do you think he has in mind?

glorydaz

What does Dick York say about 1 John 1:9?

And do you think that he is right when he says this?"

Baptism We believe in the necessity of water baptism by immersion as an act of obedience to our Lord's command. (Matt. 28:19; Mark 16:15-16; Acts 8:36-38)

When Paul speaks of the unity of the Spirit he mentions "one baptism." Which baptism do you think he has in mind?

I remember, when I was there, that baptism was considered an act of "obedience", but it was left totally up to each individual (whoever wanted to be baptised went down to the river). It was not associated with salvation at all. The ONE baptism, of course, is of the Spirit. I don't believe they ever taught otherwise. I'm sure they are Acts 2, however. It wasn't until I came here that I'd even heard of Mid Acts, but that understanding has certainly solved many of the questions I had....concerning the difference between the two Gospels.

Shield of Faith's gift is Missions and the establishment of New Testament churches, and their basis is sound, in my opinion. One thing they do NOT do, is insist anyone abide by any of their particular teachings. They don't even have pastors, but different brothers get up and minister what the Lord has been revealing to them from the Scripture. Some may have even addressed Mid Acts, but I missed it if they did. I had little kids to deal with at the time.

Right Divider

Body part
I remember, when I was there, that baptism was considered an act of "obedience", but it was left totally up to each individual (whoever wanted to be baptised went down to the river). It was not associated with salvation at all.
What is your take on the use of the word "necessity" in their statement about water baptism?

glorydaz

What is your take on the use of the word "necessity" in their statement about water baptism?

Hmmmm. I can only say in the years I was affiliated with them that it was never proclaimed to be necessary for salvation. Which is why I never made the trip to the river.

Baptism
We believe in the necessity of water baptism by immersion as an act of obedience to our Lord's command. (Matt. 28:19; Mark 16:15-16; Acts 8:36-38)​

It's clear to me now that they missed the change in Mid Acts.

I don't remember this verse ever being talked about, for instance.

Acts 15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.​

Right Divider

Body part
Hmmmm. I can only say in the years I was affiliated with them that it was never proclaimed to be necessary for salvation. Which is why I never made the trip to the river.
Baptism
We believe in the necessity of water baptism by immersion as an act of obedience to our Lord's command. (Matt. 28:19; Mark 16:15-16; Acts 8:36-38)​

It's clear to me now that they missed the change in Mid Acts.

I don't remember this verse ever being talked about, for instance.
Acts 15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.​
If seems like a lot of decent non-Mid-Acts folks like to make water baptism the unnecessary necessity :juggle: :dizzy:

glorydaz

If seems like a lot of decent non-Mid-Acts folks like to make water baptism the unnecessary necessity :juggle: :dizzy:

It's that "outward sign" of an inward event. It did seem to be important for the folks in Nigeria, and other foreign fields. They loved being able to show they were Christians by being baptised.