Dead tiger bigger victim than dead man?

The Berean

You don't tug on SuperMan's cape.
You dooooooon't (edit to replace piss with spit)Spit(/edit to replace piss with spit) into the wind.
You don't pull... the mask.... off the ole Lone Ranger..
And ya don't slingshot pinecones at the Tiger in the zoo...

Ya
Dooty
yo
Do
Do
Dooty
Ya
Captain Marvel and Doomsday say :wave2:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I think you have to see all of this in the context of humanity's greater awareness of the animal world. I don't think it really means Salmoni cares more about the life of a tiger than a human being, no matter what he said and no matter how you interpret what he said.

Because Salmoni did not overtly mention the people killed, you immediately fly off some judgemental handle and assume he doesn't care about human life. Just take a deep breath and learn to empathize a bit with your fellow man instead of going off half-cocked to label and condemn the guy.

He's a "large predator expert." That is his vocation. I would guess that it means he is both interested and familiar with tigers--which are undergoing a serious global decimation.

Why in the heck wouldn't he think about the tiger and mourn its loss here?

I think you have made an assumption that because he naturally first speaks to the loss of the tiger in the sound-bite somehow proves that he de-values human life or something.

Turbo, you really need not feel oppressed just because people like Salmoni didn't automatically preface his conversation and comments by saying "Now I am definitely upset that any human being in the world loses their life, and I am also very concerned about the tiger as well...."?

C

cattyfan

additionally, even if you think the animal was completely the villain, it's sad to have lost yet another of a species of whom there are very few left. :( (as for the guys involved...the world still has an abundance of morons...)

noguru

I think you have to see all of this in the context of humanity's greater awareness of the animal world. I don't think it really means Salmoni cares more about the life of a tiger than a human being, no matter what he said and no matter how you interpret what he said.

Because Salmoni did not overtly mention the people killed, you immediately fly off some judgemental handle and assume he doesn't care about human life. Just take a deep breath and learn to empathize a bit with your fellow man instead of going off half-cocked to label and condemn the guy.

He's a "large predator expert." That is his vocation. I would guess that it means he is both interested and familiar with tigers--which are undergoing a serious global decimation.

Why in the heck wouldn't he think about the tiger and mourn its loss here?

I think you have made an assumption that because he naturally first speaks to the loss of the tiger in the sound-bite somehow proves that he de-values human life or something.

Turbo, you really need not feel oppressed just because people like Salmoni didn't automatically preface his conversation and comments by saying "Now I am definitely upset that any human being in the world loses their life, and I am also very concerned about the tiger as well...."?

I think they don't like the fact that he is a behavioral biologist. Once I told Bob B that behavioral biology was one of my life long interests/passions. His response was "Oh, you are a quack!". I guess trying to understand animal behavior really offends some people.

noguru

additionally, even if you think the animal was completely the villain, it's sad to have lost yet another of a species of whom there are very few left. :( (as for the guys involved...the world still has an abundance of morons...)

Carefull Catty, you're getting awfully close to that line. :D

noguru

Has anyone notified PETA about this? I think they could make good use of this story. "Three human morons vs one defensive tiger" Who should we cry over?

On another note if the guy who was killed was gay, then no harm done. I think it is far better to be mauled by a tiger, than stoned to death by an angry mob of religious zealots.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Wow! Everyone seems so quick to believe the ultra-liberal left-wing media that these kids deserved what they got. :nono:

koban

If they provoked the attack, do you have sympathy for them? Certainly have it for their families, but those who got what they deserved?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If they provoked the attack, do you have sympathy for them? Certainly have it for their families, but those who got what they deserved?
First off that's a big "IF". Secondly, I have been to the zoo dozens of times and I always see kids having fun, making jokes, taunting the animals, that's what kids often do (not my kids, but other kids). Should kids act that way at the zoo? NO! But do they deserve to be killed??? Hardly.

But then again, you believe it's ok to kill people for praying in the street so I guess we know where your head is at.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
First off that's a big "IF". Secondly, I have been to the zoo dozens of times and I always see kids having fun, making jokes, taunting the animals, that's what kids often do (not my kids, but other kids). Should kids act that way at the zoo? NO! But do they deserve to be killed??? Hardly.

You mean taunting and harassing animals shouldn't be a capital crime? :shocked:

C

cattyfan

But then again, you believe it's ok to kill people for praying in the street so I guess we know where your head is at.

You've witnessed drunken kids using slingshots at the zoo?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You've witnessed drunken kids using slingshots at the zoo?
Two points....

1. Are you sure the liberal media isn't just trying to justify the animal over the teenagers? :think:

2. Even if true do you believe that is a justified reason to be killed?

If a tiger can escape from his cage because some teenagers with sling-shots fired at him "allegedly" he could also get out of his cage if a 3 year old threw his toy doll at him. Color me HIGHLY skeptical.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Wow! Everyone seems so quick to believe the ultra-liberal left-wing media that these kids deserved what they got. :nono:
If you jump up, afterwards you land on the ground. Gravity makes sure you get what you deserve. ;)
:chuckle:

It wont be too long before eating animals will be a capital crime.
If animals become scarce, that's what should happen. The upper class rich and famous and the well-connected will still get to eat what they want and probably won't get criminalized. The capital crime part will just apply to the rest of us.

BTW, ever think it's not necessarily what the media reports, Eric? It's how that media is interpretated and spun. Admit it, part of your personal crusade is claiming victimhood whenever you feel oppressed by rules such as "Don't feed the animals," "Cruelty to animals is evil" or "Tigers should be a protected species" or even "Children should be raised to act kind and sensible."

C

cattyfan

Two points....

1. Are you sure the liberal media isn't just trying to justify the animal over the teenagers? :think:

2. Even if true do you believe that is a justified reason to be killed?

If a tiger can escape from his cage because some teenagers with sling-shots fired at him "allegedly" he could also get out of his cage if a 3 year old threw his toy doll at him. Color me HIGHLY skeptical.

The information I'm referencing came from the interviews with the investigating officers. (I saw the video of the press conference.)

Tigers (and all wild animals) are unpredictable. This one, apparently, had had enough. Do I think it's a good thing the idiot is dead? No...but he was old enough to know the risk of his stupidity...just like someone who drives drunk.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
By the way.... lets not forget that the boy who was killed was not the only victim here. This tiger also mauled a couple of other people who were eating at the food-court. Furthermore this same tiger mauled a zoo employee last year.

I am having a hard time believing that this tiger was just self-policing the zoo.

Read more here.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
The zoo should be held responsible for not properly containing the tiger.

The boys should not have been taunting the animal, but if it had been properly contained, the tiger could not have retaliated.

Vodka tastes awful.

C

cattyfan

By the way.... lets not forget that the boy who was killed was not the only victim here. This tiger also mauled a couple of other people who were eating at the food-court. Furthermore this same tiger mauled a zoo employee last year.

I am having a hard time believing that this tiger was just self-policing the zoo.

Read more here.

Knight...your article is from the day of the attack, and contains information found later to be incorrect. the only people mauled were the young men suspected of taunting the tiger:

Hearing on tiger evidence is moved
Zoo worker gets a scare as snow leopard pokes a hole in temporary cage
By Lisa Fernandez and Mark Gomez
MEDIANEWS STAFF

01/12/2008

The Christmas Day tiger mauling at the San Francisco Zoo played out in three rings Friday, when a court commissioner transferred a key hearing to San Jose, hundreds of people turned out to discuss zoo safety, and new worries were ignited after a snow leopard poked a 4-inch hole in a temporary cage.

In a decision that dealt a blow to the San Francisco City Attorney's Office and the zoo, San Francisco Superior Court Commissioner Bruce Chan ruled the question of whether a car and cell phone should be returned to two San Jose brothers injured during the tiger attack should be decided in Santa Clara County.

San Francisco and zoo officials say they believe the cell phone and car contain evidence that Paul and Kulbir Dhaliwal were intoxicated and taunted the tiger, and they are seeking a court order to examine them.

A hearing on the matter is scheduled for Wednesday before Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Socrates Manoukian.

Chan said California law indicates hearings of this type should be heard in the county where the affected parties, in this case, the Dhaliwals, live.

Shepard Kopp, an attorney for the Dhaliwals, who were not present, declared a victory after the 10-minute hearing, saying that the brothers simply "want their stuff back."

When pressed why the brothers won't allow authorities to examine the property if they are innocent, Kopp replied: "Nothing will come out that is incriminating -- the truth will come out. Our clients are not afraid of the truth." Kopp charged the city and zoo are committing "character assassination" of his clients.
San Francisco police have held the cell phone and car since Christmas, when a 250-pound Siberian tiger, Tatiana, escaped and injured the brothers. Their 17-year-old friend Carlos Sousa Jr. of San Jose was killed. Carlos was buried Tuesday. The brothers have refused to publicly talk about what happened, though Carlos' mother, Marilza, said when she finally talked to Paul this week, he told her they didn't taunt the animal.

In court papers, city and zoo attorneys indicate they are convinced there is evidence on the cell phone or in the car that incriminate the brothers. The Dhaliwals have not been charged with any crime, and legally, police can search their property only if they suspect a felony has occurred. Taunting an animal is a misdemeanor.

The city and San Francisco Zoological Society want the information in case they are sued over the attack. Evidence showing the boys were intoxicated, high or using objects to "pelt" the tiger, court papers state, would be helpful in convincing a jury to award a lower amount.

"In our heart of hearts, we all know something happened that day to provoke the tiger," San Francisco Deputy City Attorney Sean Connolly said in court
, though he and his colleagues were unsuccessful in persuading the commissioner that because of today's technology, some cell phones delete information as soon as 14 days after it is gathered.

Across the street at San Francisco City Hall, at least 200 people turned out at an often emotional hearing held by the parks and recreation commission and the joint zoo committee to figure out how the tiger got out of her cage, whether zoo oversight procedures are sufficient, and to re-evaluate the partnership between the city and the zoological society in running the zoo.

Some called for the resignation of zoo Director Manuel Mollinedo, who has been criticized, including in a recent lawsuit, for poor management and substandard safety protocols. Many others, however, supported the zoo.

Zoo representatives also spent much of Friday deflecting fresh concerns over how a 100-pound snow leopard named Ghurka clawed a four-inch opening through a mesh enclosure, sticking a paw and part of its head outside the cage, about 3 p.m. Thursday, and scaring a zoo employee into locking herself in a room.

My point is still the same...the men were at fault...the zoo is at fault...the tiger is (was) a wild animal, and did not act out of the ordinary. They are predators...they attack things...they are not cuddly pets.