DAYSTAR movie of the week discussion thread

Interplanner

Sat.May.6.2017 4pm EST DirecTV

OLD RUGGED CROSS

A new pastor endangers the kingdom of Pastor Luke Wolfe and plans to own the biggest church.

A switch from the series of 'ordinary life' settings we've had lately; we'll see how it goes. Hopefully it is not too much of a hothouse.

Interplanner

Underway...

The intro music puts it in a 80s TV series genre... Lighthearted, casual trumpet score

5th min: this is a very static camera for 2016!

Interplanner

15th: besides being a bit stiff and painful to sit through the dialogue, it's really church-jargon all through. The appeal isn't to the outside and sounds stuffy. The problem is it makes the whole situation less than credible, even though it is church.

24th: the pastor is slightly natural enough but the woman is definitely just reading a script

Interplanner

28th: the question about the pastor's dreams and pastors talking shop is more sensitive than the writer realized. Pastors do need ordinary things to do and ordinary pursuits.

29th: the cafe scene is the first one that has gone painfully long. It lacked mood but had music that didn't really match.

Interplanner

39th: a few editing gaps and jams, and volume changes that put it in a lower qualithy category.

47th: it's bad enough to have the faith made trivial, but when alcoholism is also treated that way, it's painful.

Interplanner

63rd: well, it's getting really stuffy now trying to take up minute debates between texts. They might want to rate something like this "C" meaning, you need to be seriously into church to watch it. Plus we get really strange music to go with it!

70th: whoa, how did the good pastor and his pianist have a fallout one moment and her church membership reception , the next?

Interplanner

78th: the one character of the cast who comes across normal onscreen is the son of the 'bad shepherd.' The lead female just keeps coming off the beat.

98th: the gun scene...is...possible. Drama is sometimes a matter of exclamation point devices.

Interplanner

78th: the one character of the cast who comes across normal onscreen is the son of the 'bad shepherd.' The lead female just keeps coming off the beat.

98th: the gun scene...is...possible. Drama is sometimes a matter of exclamation point devices.

Interplanner

Sat.May.13.2017.4pmEST. Daystar (DirecTV 369)

THE LAST APPEAL

"The world of death row, where prisoners ultimately come face to face with their own mortality."

Discuss any production aspect of it here, live, from script to score.

Interplanner

78th:
I've seen about 5 mins, and so far the casting is great and they are believable.

some of the sets appear to be stage settings--several black backgrounds already.

Interplanner

93rd:
Very good explanation of forgiveness for a person with a death sentence, and feeling more free inside the bars than many people feel outside.

Final scene:
I liked the idea of the substitution of Christ; I would have liked a touch of special effect or chromatone to 'transport' us from the usual look of things to another 'place.'

A compelling story. The evangelistic closing material afterward was OK, although a system for ongoing contact should have been ready right there.

Interplanner

I don't think the 'Christ inside you' and the heaven vs hell location is as strong as an appeal to a person as justification from their sins.

In a story like this, how could we miss this--the significance of justification before God when we are stuck with the human verdict of a human court?

Heaven and hell are only significant because of the issue of justification. It is not just our choice of pleasant vs awful. God must have righteousness.

SaulToPaul 2

I don't think the 'Christ inside you' and the heaven vs hell location is as strong as an appeal to a person as justification from their sins.

In a story like this, how could we miss this--the significance of justification before God when we are stuck with the human verdict of a human court?

Heaven and hell are only significant because of the issue of justification. It is not just our choice of pleasant vs awful. God must have righteousness.

I thought it was a nailbiter.

Interplanner

Sat.May.20.7pm.EST Daystar (DirecTV 369)

BROKEN

As he clings to life, a troubled teenager recalls the events that led him to the bottom of a cliff.

From color pallette to grammar, please join in discussion of the movie live at 4pm PST.

Can't tell from the storyline if the cliff is a metaphor.

Interplanner

Intro:
nice to see the hand-made artwork. High production qualities in the first 10 minutes.

(I had to take a call from work and have missed some pieces).