DAYSTAR movie of the week discussion thread

Interplanner

Today at 7pm EST. Please join in discussing any aspect from theology to photography about it.

I'm a candidate to start mentoring in script development at a Christian college and hope to use any method to increase the quality of Christian productions.

Last week was WELCOME TO INSPIRATION which had several mains and parallels, a good marital breakdown main, a little bit too much planted preachy outline, and a mysterious little girl urchin character.

Interplanner

It's predicated on the belief that every single thing that happens to us in life is going to be rosy, and our 'testimony' is how rosy life is.

Interplanner

Jan.21's edition is:

THE FRONTIER BOYS
After a drive by shooting, guilt plagues a small town's basketball player

Today on Daystar, 4pm PST

Rebecca St. James

Make some popcorn, have your device out and post some live comments on anything from theology to casting.

Last edited:

Interplanner

Bad luck for the past two weeks (I was on a trip, Daystar had a fund raiser).

This week we have:

AN ORDINARY HERO
Documentary, 2013. Joan T. Mulholland opposes segregation as Christian.

7pm EST

In the past year, I think this is the first doc they've shown; it may be a requirement as a broadcaster to have a documentary feature on for black history month.

See you here with comments during the show!

(My only drawback this week is that I'm on call for the medical supply co I work for)

Interplanner

Bad luck for the past two weeks (I was on a trip, Daystar had a fund raiser).

This week we have:

AN ORDINARY HERO
Documentary, 2013. Joan T. Mulholland opposes segregation as Christian.

7pm EST

In the past year, I think this is the first doc they've shown; it may be a requirement as a broadcaster to have a documentary feature on for black history month.

See you here with comments during the show!

(My only drawback this week is that I'm on call for the medical supply co I work for)

It is a quality production that anyone would watch.

I find the topic over-covered. When I made the 'ad' "All Lives Matter" I noticed that a gal had done a similar film by that name. When you listen to her, everything she says is as though we were living 50 years ago or 100 years ago. Not today. But if something was true 100 years ago, it had to be 'the battle' today.

Maybe, with that mentality, that's why the incident happened at the U of Houston: the very week 4 police are killed protecting a BLM walk, that girl at UH is suspended for saying All Lives Matter.

Interplanner

As for as movies go, I'm surprised that they didn't just put it in movie form. They certainly have enough detail!

While it was well written and produced, I expected there to be something more reconciliatory or redemptive to the story. It seems to end on the 'wasn't this horrible?' note, which we knew (hopefully).

Last edited:

Interplanner

Sat.Feb.18th.4pm.PST

Back to the usual...a drama...

ALMOST HOME. 2015. Drama.
Belief in God's mercy and protection provides answers to a family.

DSTR channel (Daystar). Direct TV 369. 7pm EST

Hope to see you here as the spool rolls.

Marcus

Interplanner

See you here in a couple hours. The thread is for any Christians interested in the writing or production of feature films. Yoou are welcome if you are not Christian too, just ask whatever comes to mind.

Interplanner

6th min: a few too many hymns, and an awkwardly set comment by a neighbor about the daughter coming home to an empty house after school

17th: the daughter provides some emotionally authenticity, but the adults don't. The mother and neighbor are rather detached.

Interplanner

24th: Not having much of a story, the mechanics fall to the level of a bus dropping off the grampa and daughter at the end of a bus line without radio or a conversation with the driver.

40th: are kids names announced on Amber Alerts?

48th: I don't know if any kids gone that long from home would be so casual about being missing...

50th: too many cliches between the pastor and Miss Edna the neighbor.

Now that they have announced the concluding act, stick around for short films, some of which have been very good lately.

Interplanner

61st: why would the daughter and grampa go to the church?

Overall: I like the theme of making sure you tell loved ones they are loved and getting things done for them. It's a movie that's really for grandkids rather than anything the adults needed. At least I think those were 'kid' adults.

Interplanner

BUT NOW I SEE is unfortunately more unbackgrounded people, even though homeless. It is short, but there is a difference between being short and incomplete. Was the homeless woman really stingy before this? We'll never know.
What sins did she need to confess when she learned that confession was really important? We'll never know. We would like to know if the guy who ended up with the Bible had anything to say about her. We need a story that really gets on to more and harder questions, and is not just introducing us.

I was worried about her reading her Bible as she crossed the street, too!