Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Pretty clearly if the best you have is a 10+ year old vague recollection that ID has something to do with something, then that is hardly a subject you should engage. Now YOU pick a YEC subject you feel qualified to defend
I don't have a degree in science. I have a Bachelor's of Science (Computer Engineering and Systems; Computer Science and Systems). I am not qualified to defend a YEC subject.

What is wrong with discussing the merits of ID rather than YEC?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

ID is just creationism with clean clothes and a shave.

The Dover trial showed very well that ID was just a way to get creationism into public schools. Would you like to see the evidence for that?

DavisBJ

I don't have a degree in science. I have a Bachelor's of Science (Computer Engineering and Systems; Computer Science and Systems). I am not qualified to defend a YEC subject.

Analogy (I know that is a word that you don’t understand yet, but anyway…) if I told you that more than 10 years ago I opened a bible, and I vaguely remember it said something about a red ocean, and some fish and bread feeding a lot of people, but I want to debate the bible – what would you say? If I made it clear I had no real idea of what the Bible says, would you be so silly as to think that would make a worthy debate topic? (And to forestall what I fully expect, I am not NOT NOT NOT not … not not saying I want to debate the Bible.) I AM saying you are not qualified to debate ID.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Analogy (I know that is a word that you don’t understand yet, but anyway…) if I told you that more than 10 years ago I opened a bible, and I vaguely remember it said something about a red ocean, and some fish and bread feeding a lot of people, but I want to debate the bible – what would you say? If I made it clear I had no real idea of what the Bible says, would you be so silly as to think that would make a worthy debate topic? (And to forestall what I fully expect, I am not NOT NOT NOT not … not not saying I want to debate the Bible.) I AM saying you are not qualified to debate ID.
Intelligent Design is a position held by people of many different faiths. It is different from relating the facts about creation as contained in the Bible. But this does not make creationism or views about God's creation that come from the Bible, false.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian asks:
If you're not qualified to comment on the subject, why do you think Hovind isn't lying to you the way he lied to the court?

I'm sorry?! What are you asking?

You claim you're not qualified to defend YE, and then you post a video by one of the most crooked of YEers.

How do you know he's not lying to you?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian asks:
If you're not qualified to comment on the subject, why do you think Hovind isn't lying to you the way he lied to the court?

You claim you're not qualified to defend YE, and then you post a video by one of the most crooked of YEers.

How do you know he's not lying to you?
Have you watched the video? I just did.

I don't know if you expect me to answer on something related to Hovind and court. I obviously do not know how to answer.

As for defending YEC I have expressed that I used to be YEC but I lean toward YEC now in my interpretation of the Bible. But being qualified to do something... wouldn't that require a level of expertise? Do you expect I would have that level of expertise with only a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering and Computer Science?

6days

Intelligent Design is a position held by people of many different faiths. It is different from relating the facts about creation as contained in the Bible. But this does not make creationism or views about God's creation that come from the Bible, false.
Yes... agree. Biblical Creationists believe in the inerrancy of God's Word, whereas people of all faiths as well as agnostics can believe our universe was designed by an intelligence.

noguru

Do you know what ID teaches? Do you know what ID is?

I remember from over ten+ years ago it has something to do with irreducible complexity.

Behe champions irreducible complexity as evidence for ID. Craig champions the "fine tuning" or cosmological argument as evidence for ID. Either argument boils down to a god of gaps argument from incredulity which is not a scientific argument.

But let's be honest here, you will not understand this either.

6days

Ok... so you want to debate the Bible? :)
People who don't believe the Bible still debate it...and some do welll...some not.
People who don't understand God created us still debate it...some well...some not.

alwight

Ok... so you want to debate the Bible? :)
People who don't believe the Bible still debate it...and some do welll...some not.
People who don't understand God created us still debate it...some well...some not.
I don't understand what would make someone profess to have no doubts that a particular ancient scripture was inerrant literal truth even if empirical evidence suggested otherwise?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Have you watched the video? I just did.

Tell us what you think his most convincing assertion is. And if he provided any, the evidence for it.

As for defending YEC I have expressed that I used to be YEC but I lean toward YEC now in my interpretation of the Bible. But being qualified to do something... wouldn't that require a level of expertise? Do you expect I would have that level of expertise with only a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering and Computer Science?

My university education was mostly in biology, although I do have one degree in systems theory, mostly involving biological systems and the way they interact.

Yet I can program in a few languages, and I know some fundamentals about computers, having built a couple of them.

So, if someone says things about computers that are as completely off the wall as things Hovind has said about biology, I can usually tell what he's got wrong.

Not always, though. Knowing a lot about what you're talking about, that's a real advantage.

noguru

I don't understand what would make someone profess to have no doubts that a particular ancient scripture was inerrant literal truth even if empirical evidence suggested otherwise?

An over bloated ego regarding their control over the world?

:idunno:

6days

ID is just creationism with clean clothes and a shave.

The Dover trial showed very well that ID was just a way to get creationism into public schools. Would you like to see the evidence for that?

I think Biblical creationism gives you an adrenaline rush. .
Biblical creationism is quite different from ID for many reasons. For one... we don't't want anyone to have to teach it. We do however want teachers to have the intellectual freedom to discuss strengths and weaknesses of Darwinian beliefs. Teachers should have the freedom to discuss, but not promote opposing views.
Students learn better when they are told how to think ( comparing models) ...as opposed to be told what to think.

6days

Empirical evidence clearly supports that we live in a fine tuned universe. ..created...designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.