Creation vs. Evolution II

6days

Lazy afternoon said:
Does it really say that,(God created earth before the universe) or does it appear that way at first reading?
Read it often... it always says that God created the heavens and the earth on day 1... formed it on day 2...then He made the stars on day 4.*
Lazy afternoon said:
...but that the rock known as earth has existed for millions of years.
That is the secular opinion. God's 'opinion' is that He made the heavens and the earth and everything else...includung humans in six days.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Read it often... it always says that God created the heavens and the earth on day 1... formed it on day 2...then He made the stars on day 4.*
That is the secular opinion. God's 'opinion' is that He made the heavens and the earth and everything else...includung humans in six days.

:thumb: Exactly!

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Does the verse say God made the stars on day 4?

Gen 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Gen 1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
Gen 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

LA

redfern

If you want to argue something like vertebrate eye design is poor and evidence against a creator, then you should also be honest and admit that good design is evidence for a creator.

God would be expected to do a good job of design, but nature can also be expected to often come up with very functional designs. So the existence of good design by itself is not an automatic atta-boy for God.

if you argue that non functionality is evidence against a Creator...then be honest and admit that functionality may be evidence for a creator.

I appreciate you including the qualifier “may be” before evidence for a creator. There is not a “may be” as to whether nature exists, we do not agree that God exists. If you insist God exists, then would you view some design flubs as incompetence on His part?

I see you didn't accept the challenge.

I presume this is in reference to your prior statement that:

Atheists like to make lists of things they call discrepancies, yet are unable to pick and defend even one single point that would make a difference to the Gospel.

I don’t know what part of the Bible is non-negotiable to your belief, and what is optional. If you want me to challenge some theological nicety – how many angels on the head of a pin – then indeed I will pass and simply observe religious factions battle each other from the sidelines.

But if you include items like demanding that passages in Genesis with scientific implications be taken exactly as written (age of the earth, validity of scientific laws, etc), then even there you are not just in opposition to 99% of the scientific world, but also to a huge portion of the religious world as well.

The creationist stance is basically just attack and denial – “science is wrong, science makes mistakes, science came from a Christian mindset, journals won’t accept our papers, etc.” Creationists are impotent at presenting and defending their ideas and supporting data within the world of secular science.

So in response to your “challenge”, if disputed areas of science qualify, I already invited you to revisit things like your silly “lost squadron” claim, and C-14 dating and calibration. Just in the last couple of posts when discussing Snelling’s meteorite isochron dating article, you have falsely claimed that he concluded scientifically that the earth is young.

And I see you didn’t accept the challenge of supplying “2 important specific advances in scientific knowledge that are clearly traceable to Christianity” to back your statement about “the contributions that Christianity has made to science”. Just hyperbole?

I didn't say ToE...I said evolutionism. … Evolutionism was largely responsible for increased racism in the world, and played a significant role in the holocaust.

I can accept that. You are attacking Social Darwinism, which is governed by the moral (or immoral choices) people make, but you are not thusly impugning Darwin’s biological theory that deals with the diversity of biological life. Since the word “evolutionism” pretty commonly refers to the ToE, honesty would recommend you make it clear when you are attacking Social Darwinism and not the ToE.

Returning to my statement about the age of the earth from a few posts back

Science many decades ago concluded that the earth is billions of years old…

And your first response to that:

Science concluded no such thing. Evolutionists believe that...

To which I presented Lord Kelvin as a highly qualified Christian, scientist, and non-evolutionist who indeed concluded the earth was old.

Your latest counter is

not all scientists believe in an old earth. All evolutionists do

It seems you are reduced to referring to those few scientists who are on the fringes of science, and turning a blind eye to the millions of evolutionists who are concurrently good Christians (and you are still being dismissive of Lord Kelvin’s opposition to your claim).

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Does it really say that, or does it appear that way at first reading?

Back tomorrow.

LA

Dear LA,

Yes, it does say that. Not just appearing, but very plainly. Read the first chapter of Genesis. Especially Gen. 1:16KJV, "He made the stars also." It says that God created the host {stars, planets, galaxies, black holes, quasars, etc.} of Heaven on the fourth day. Will chat with you soon, I hope!! So how have you been doing lately? This is a good thread for you. A lot of truth comes through this thread! It's a worthwhile read and respond. I wish my website was too, but I don't know how to make it so that people can respond or post at my website. I know you've been hassled exceedingly on some other threads.

Much Love, In Christ,

Michael

Last edited:

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear LA,

Yes, it does say that. Not just appearing, but very plainly. Read the first chapter of Genesis. It says that God created the planets and host {stars, etc.} of Heaven on the fourth day. Will chat with you soon, I hope!!

Much Love, In Christ,

Michael

Well, no it does not say that exactly.

Look it up.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Does the verse say God made the stars on day 4?

Gen 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Gen 1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
Gen 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

LA

Michael,

Can you explain the above verses first.

LA

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
God would be expected to do a good job of design, but nature can also be expected to often come up with very functional designs. So the existence of good design by itself is not an automatic atta-boy for God.

I appreciate you including the qualifier “may be” before evidence for a creator. There is not a “may be” as to whether nature exists, we do not agree that God exists. If you insist God exists, then would you view some design flubs as incompetence on His part?

I presume this is in reference to your prior statement that:

I don’t know what part of the Bible is non-negotiable to your belief, and what is optional. If you want me to challenge some theological nicety – how many angels on the head of a pin – then indeed I will pass and simply observe religious factions battle each other from the sidelines.

Not even one angel could fit on the head of a pin. So now you know. Also, there is no nature or Mother Nature. It is the Lord God doing everything instead. Like thunderstorms and earthquakes, and also rain, and tornadoes. It is by His Hand that this is done everywhere that He Will. You don't have to believe me. You'll get your chance to discover it all too.

But if you include items like demanding that passages in Genesis with scientific implications be taken exactly as written (age of the earth, validity of scientific laws, etc), then even there you are not just in opposition to 99% of the scientific world, but also to a huge portion of the religious world as well.

The creationist stance is basically just attack and denial – “science is wrong, science makes mistakes, science came from a Christian mindset, journals won’t accept our papers, etc.” Creationists are impotent at presenting and defending their ideas and supporting data within the world of secular science.

So in response to your “challenge”, if disputed areas of science qualify, I already invited you to revisit things like your silly “lost squadron” claim, and C-14 dating and calibration. Just in the last couple of posts when discussing Snelling’s meteorite isochron dating article, you have falsely claimed that he concluded scientifically that the earth is young.

And I see you didn’t accept the challenge of supplying “2 important specific advances in scientific knowledge that are clearly traceable to Christianity” to back your statement about “the contributions that Christianity has made to science”. Just hyperbole?

I can accept that. You are attacking Social Darwinism, which is governed by the moral (or immoral choices) people make, but you are not thusly impugning Darwin’s biological theory that deals with the diversity of biological life. Since the word “evolutionism” pretty commonly refers to the ToE, honesty would recommend you make it clear when you are attacking Social Darwinism and not the ToE.

Returning to my statement about the age of the earth from a few posts back

And your first response to that:

To which I presented Lord Kelvin as a highly qualified Christian, scientist, and non-evolutionist who indeed concluded the earth was old.

Your latest counter is

It seems you are reduced to referring to those few scientists who are on the fringes of science, and turning a blind eye to the millions of evolutionists who are concurrently good Christians (and you are still being dismissive of Lord Kelvin’s opposition to your claim).

SEE ABOVE!

Last edited:

6days

redfern said:
...So the existence of good design by itself is not an automatic atta-boy for God.
You missed the goalposts.
Evolutionists argued that poor eye design was evidence against a creator. So if that arguement is true, then it logically follows that good eye design is evidence for a creator.
redfern said:
...If you insist God exists, then would you view some design flubs as incompetence on His part?
I consider it incompetence on the part of the person making that arguement. Science has often proven that the person making that argument lacked knowledge. (They didn't understand the design, purpose, function).

6days

redfern said:
...But if you include items like demanding that passages in Genesis with scientific implications be taken exactly as written (age of the earth, validity of scientific laws, etc), then even there you are not just in opposition to 99% of the scientific world, but also to a huge portion of the religious world as well.
Again, it seems you are aiming at the wrong target. You questioned 'inerrancy'. I know we disagree about age of earth etc but that isn't really proving any error. Your appeal to majority opinion is not compelling, since you and I both know of instances where the 99% has been wrong. Atheists web sites have long lists of things they consider contradictions...yet when pressed, few will pick a single point that they want to defend.
redfern said:
The creationist stance is basically just attack and denial – “science is wrong, science makes mistakes
No... science is never wrong.
redfern said:
Creationists are impotent at presenting and defending their ideas and supporting data within the world of secular science.
Stripe adressed this yesterday "This is a common Darwinist tactic.
First they demand a Darwinist source to back up an idea, then they demand that the Darwinist source be regarded as utterly true because it was used to support an idea.

redfern said:
...I already invited you to revisit things like your silly “lost squadron” claim
You better post what I really said. Don't be like every other evolutionist here in TOL who fabricates. Post what I really said.
redfern said:
and C-14 dating and calibration.
You better post what I really said. Don't be like every other evolutionist here in TOL who fabricates. Post what I really said
redfern said:
Just in the last couple of posts when discussing Snelling’s meteorite isochron dating article, you have falsely claimed that he concluded scientifically that the earth is young.
I did? Perhaps post what I really said along with page# and thread.
redfern said:
And I see you didn’t accept the challenge of supplying “2 important specific advances in scientific knowledge that are clearly traceable to Christianity”
Yes, you asked for 2 examples for Christianity and 2 against evolutionism..I gave the examples.
Quote=redfern]
To which I presented Lord Kelvin as a highly qualified Christian, scientist, and non-evolutionist who indeed concluded the earth was old.[/quote]
To which I presented Carl Sagans ex, Lynn Margulis, a highly qualified evolutionist, who concludes that mutations and slow processes are not what drives the change common ancestry needs.
We don't necessarily believe everything exactly the same as others who hold similar beliefs to our own. Lord Kelvin seemed to believe in Stellar evolution...he was wrong about that. And, likewise you likely hold similar beliefs to those Margulis held, but you wouldn't agree with all she said.

redfern

Evolutionists argued that poor eye design was evidence against a creator. So if that arguement is true, then it logically follows that good eye design is evidence for a creator.

Let’s make sure we are starting with a common set of assumptions. Start with the idea that there is a creator (God) who has the qualities often attributed to Him – omniscience, omnipotence, etc. Now if something God designs is found to be poorly designed, then that calls into question whether He in fact exists, or at least whether He is competent.

But seeing good design is not automatically evidence for God, unless God reserves the ability to “design” all to Himself, which is silly. In the case in point, good design should be credited to whomever / whatever came up with that design. If while God is off polishing the rings of Saturn, evolution manages to come up with a pretty spiffy design, then put credit where credit is due. Good design arising in nature does not diminish God, it is simply acknowledging that nature, in addition to God, can come up with designs.

6days

... Now if something God designs is found to be poorly designed, then that calls into question whether He in fact exists, or at least whether He is competent.
Evolutionists have OFTEN argued that poor design and non-functionality is evidence against a creator.
So, the logical extension of that argument is that good design is evidence for a creator.
Evolutionists have consistently been wrong saying 'God wouldn't do it like that." However science has shown the vertebrate eye, is very well designed...that "junk" DNA, is functional... that "useless" organs, are useful...Etc
If while God is off polishing the rings of Saturn, evolution manages to come up with a pretty spiffy design, then put credit where credit is due.
Oh dear.... it seems you are unwilling to follow evidence to the Biblical Creator. It isn't evolution that comes up with "spiffy designs". Spiffy design is evidence of a designer. Spiffy design such as a bacteria gaining a new function, via pre-existing mechanisms and genetic information, is evidence of our Creator.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Rom.1:20

redfern

Evolutionists have OFTEN argued that poor design and non-functionality is evidence against a creator.

So, the logical extension of that argument is that good design is evidence for a creator.

I take it you are not aware of the law of the excluded middle?

it seems you are unwilling to follow evidence to the Biblical Creator. It isn't evolution that comes up with "spiffy designs". Spiffy design is evidence of a designer.
Au contraire – but, unlike you, I do not preemptively declare that nature is not capable of design.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Michael,

Can you explain the above verses first.

LA

Dear LA,

This is in reply to your inquiry in Post #846. There is a light that God gives that is not sunlight or moonlight. Closer to starlight, to be honest. See Rev. 22:5KJV, {..."for the Lord God giveth them light; and they shall reign forever and ever."}. That is the answer to your post "And God said, 'Let there be light." He said that that light was different than the light of the Sun, which hadn't been created yet. Once God reveals these miracles, you will know about them then.

Praise God & Jesus!!

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hey Stripe,

Come back and help us!! We need a good Christian to add to our ranks!! Keep in touch!! We need you!!

Much Love, In Jesus Christ,

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear Hedshaker,

Have you forgiven us yet for causing you to be upset? Please accept my apology if I have said anything untoward to you. Life is too short to be actually what would seem to be fighting. It is just par for the course that disagreeing with each other catches up with us every time and causes unnecessary feuding and bad feelings. Certainly, we can agree to disagree.

Much Love & Cheerio!!

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear redfern,

You must realize that God's angels do the work of God too. That is how God does some of the things He does. And Jesus helps too! God is Everywhere in Spirit, and His Spirit is within all of His Angels, and His Son, and that is how He is Everywhere, and when He says something, it gets done or accomplished. It does not come back to Him unfulfilled. Hope that helps some!! God's Spirit is within every angel, every man, every plant, and even more! God Is Everywhere, Once Again!!!

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear Rosenritter,

We miss you and need you back here again. I know you're very busy, but if you could even post once a week, it would be helpful. God Bless You And Your Family!!

Michael

Hedshaker

Dear Hedshaker,

Have you forgiven us yet for causing you to be upset? Please accept my apology if I have said anything untoward to you. Life is too short to be actually what would seem to be fighting. It is just par for the course that disagreeing with each other catches up with us every time and causes unnecessary feuding and bad feelings. Certainly, we can agree to disagree.

Much Love & Cheerio!!

Michael

Your disgusting hell fire threats are enough for me to see right through your phony Mr Nice guy facade. You've been told about that a few times already so there is no excuse. There will be no more benefit of the doubt given here. I do not believe in hell or heaven but clearly there is a cloud cuckoo land.

I'm with Redfern and request that you not bother me further. Please save your nasty, spiteful threats for someone who cares what you believe.

Thanks.