Common sense prevails, Trump bans transgenders from the military

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
Explain why you're ok with the T being (allegedly*) banned in the US military, but the LGB is ok.

If you had to choose, would you prefer an LGBT military or an LGB military?

As a Christian and hence a conservative, I can't make moral compromises. Have you ever thought about looking into Christianity?

glassjester

Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
Keep in mind that your Libertarian ally (WizardofOz/musterion/patrick jane/ok doser) didn't cross Party lines and vote for Donald Trump because he is a strong proponent of traditional family values.

I devoted a lot of time and effort during the primaries promoting Ted Cruz. The above Libertarian who crossed Party lines to vote for Trump hated Cruz with a passion because of his strong traditional family values.

I can tell that you're extremely ignorant when it comes to politics and without a doubt mindlessly voted Republican without even knowing what you were getting with Donald Trump. But then perhaps you knew all along.

You voted for Cruz in the general election?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
You voted for Cruz in the general election?

Let's talk about why you voted for Trump and continue to support him, knowing full well that he's a strong supporter of LGBTQ 'rights'.

If you need a review of the pro LGBTQ stance he's taken during the primaries and while in office, I'll gladly give you a very long list.

glassjester

Let's talk about why you voted for Trump and continue to support him, knowing full well that he's a strong supporter of LGBTQ 'rights'.

If you need a review of the pro LGBTQ stance he's taken during the primaries and while in office, I'll gladly give you a very long list.

Let's talk about whether you voted for Cruz in the general election.

Selaphiel

glassjester said:
Celibacy is a choice. It's not a psychological aversion.

To go with the analogy to eating - anorexia is not the same as fasting.

Yes, it is a choice. But following your own logic, you would have to claim that it is a disorderly choice if you are to be consistent. You are claiming that living your life in a way that avoids attempting to procreate with someone of the opposite sex is disorderly. Disorder is a question of what effect something has, whether it is a choice or biologically determined does not really factor into that.

Sure, certain disorderly behaviors in individuals could help the species. But that wouldn't make the individual less disordered. For example, I bet rape has played a big part in human survival during certain points in history (and pre-history). But I'd still call rape disorderly - wouldn't you?

You are catching on. Do you now see why your argument from nature is problematic? I think nature and teleology (teleology is mostly read into nature by humans, and it differs based on what conceptual and cultural assumptions we go into it with) is a terrible guide to what is moral. I simply demolished your argument on your own terms. I have no need for a teleological argument for homosexuality. Rape harms individuals, homosexuality does not. Yeah, you can bring up STDs and whatnot, STDs is due to organisms that are essentially parasites on sexual reproduction. It affects heterosexual as well as homosexuals. Homosexuality is not inherently harmful to anyone, rape is.

And how do you know the species survived because of those disordered behaviors, rather than in spite of them?

Where do I claim to KNOW this? It is a hypothesis. I think it is likely that it must serve, or have served, some function in terms of reproductive fitness at group level, because it is obviously detrimental in terms of reproductive fitness at the individual level. A trait that is so detrimental of reproductive fitness at the individual is likely to have a positive effect at some other level if it is to survive, otherwise how do you explain its continuing existence in multiple species in multiple phylogenetic branches?

Plenty of disorderly behaviors (pica, pedophilia, kleptomania, etc) are present in our species - they've been successfully passed along throughout or evolution - but they're still disorders. Right?

See above. You are the one that insist on arguing from nature. These are just more examples of why arguing from nature to morality is a bad idea. I have no need for a teleological argument for homosexuality. As far as I am concerned, homosexuality is morally neutral. Homosexuality qua homosexuality causes no harm, nor does it provide any special moral benefit. You are the one with the burden of evidence, since you are making the claim that it is disorderly and thus immoral. What you have presented here, interestingly enough, only further undermines your original line of reasoning. Do you really have a compelling argument or do you just feel obligated to try because your religion condemns it? Not that I have much more respect for the "because the Bible says so" argument, as it proceeds from such a superficial and ignorant view of the Bible.

glassjester

Yes, it is a choice. But following your own logic, you would have to claim that it is a disorderly choice if you are to be consistent. You are claiming that living your life in a way that avoids attempting to procreate with someone of the opposite sex is disorderly. Disorder is a question of what effect something has, whether it is a choice or biologically determined does not really factor into that.

Sure it does. Fasting is different than anorexia, isn't it?

You are catching on. Do you now see why your argument from nature is problematic? I think nature and teleology (teleology is mostly read into nature by humans, and it differs based on what conceptual and cultural assumptions we go into it with) is a terrible guide to what is moral. I simply demolished your argument on your own terms. I have no need for a teleological argument for homosexuality. Rape harms individuals, homosexuality does not. Yeah, you can bring up STDs and whatnot, STDs is due to organisms that are essentially parasites on sexual reproduction. It affects heterosexual as well as homosexuals. Homosexuality is not inherently harmful to anyone, rape is.

I'm not sure that you can totally separate behavior from its practical effects. Is incest inherently harmful? Is bestiality inherently harmful? Is pedophilia inherently harmful? Or can this things be practiced "safely" ?

Where do I claim to KNOW this? It is a hypothesis. I think it is likely that it must serve, or have served, some function in terms of reproductive fitness at group level, because it is obviously detrimental in terms of reproductive fitness at the individual level. A trait that is so detrimental of reproductive fitness at the individual is likely to have a positive effect at some other level if it is to survive, otherwise how do you explain its continuing existence in multiple species in multiple phylogenetic branches?

Right... but so what? Its mere survival as a trait isn't evidence of its benefit to the species. Again, plenty of traits survive, without any benefit to the species.

See above. You are the one that insist on arguing from nature. These are just more examples of why arguing from nature to morality is a bad idea. I have no need for a teleological argument for homosexuality. As far as I am concerned, homosexuality is morally neutral. Homosexuality qua homosexuality causes no harm, nor does it provide any special moral benefit. You are the one with the burden of evidence, since you are making the claim that it is disorderly and thus immoral. What you have presented here, interestingly enough, only further undermines your original line of reasoning. Do you really have a compelling argument or do you just feel obligated to try because your religion condemns it? Not that I have much more respect for the "because the Bible says so" argument, as it proceeds from such a superficial and ignorant view of the Bible.

Why does my religion condemn it?

Arthur Brain

I've moved this discussion to a thread that allows me to speak the truth.

Feel free to join in, the 200-300 people that view the thread daily might enjoy your input.

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...-Recriminalized!-Part-4&p=5071617#post5071617

Guys, you do realize you've just played into aCW's hands by propping up his own blog don't you? He's probably been desperate for it to get some traction...

And aCW, get real dude. 300 views is not impressive, especially considering most of the reactions of those will vary from :plain: to :AMR: to :freak: and quite possibly :dunce:

Like any inflammatory titled thread it's gonna get views for the title alone. If you equate that with hordes of admiring fans and cohorts of ardent followers then once again you need a reality check. You honestly think folk wade through all of those cut 'n' pastes?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The military is not a social experiment, there are two genders. Nobody can name a reason to have transgender troops, how will it help to defend the United States?
How do you think it hurts? Allowing transgender people to serve doesn't change the physical and mental training/test, does it? If someone can do all the normal training then what's the argument against them?

I'd assume that any argument that it hurts the military would be about combat. But Trump's tweet was about ALL service. What's the detriment to other forms of service?

Cost is another thing he mentioned. But the costs associated with transgender people is a drop in the bucket. That doesn't seem like a compelling reason for the change either.

In the end it seems like this was just another attempt by Trump to pander to religious conservatives. :idunno:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
How do you think it hurts? Allowing transgender people to serve doesn't change the physical and mental training/test, does it? If someone can do all the normal training then what's the argument against them?

I'd assume that any argument that it hurts the military would be about combat. But Trump's tweet was about ALL service. What's the detriment to other forms of service?

Cost is another thing he mentioned. But the costs associated with transgender people is a drop in the bucket. That doesn't seem like a compelling reason for the change either.

In the end it seems like this was just another attempt by Trump to pander to religious conservatives. :idunno:
Cost is a drop in the bucket? We should pay for surgeries, hormone therapy and medications for mentally ill soldiers?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Cost is a drop in the bucket? We should pay for surgeries, hormone therapy and medications for mentally ill soldiers?

So if a soldier is mentally ill, the military should not pay for treatment? How Christian of you. How supportive of the military.
While we are at it, lets stop paying for Viagara for soldiers. Or contraceptives, Yep those soldiers should just show more self control.