Christian Art

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
0067_0027_0000_01_P.jpg

mozes_slangen_grt.jpg

Spitfire

Actually, not much Jewish left at all about "Jesus"...
They're lovely pieces of art, but I often find myself wanting to laugh a little bit at how little they actually resemble what Jesus (probably) really looks like.

But love and reverence for Jesus is what is important. Accurate depiction not so much especially when it's not possible for us to know the details for sure anyway.

Spitfire

Isis is commonly depicted with Horus the child (Harpocrates) on her lap, and today, it is impossible to distinguish between the late pagan and early Christian figures of the mother and child, [Isis and Horus---Mary and Jesus] it’s almost as though the old Pagan Queen was stripped of her garments and clothed with the new covering of Christianity.
The idea of mothers holding children in their lap was hardly invented by ancient Egyptian pagans. What would have been a more genuinely Christian depiction of Mary and the Christ-child, I wonder? There was probably some pagan art somewhere in the world which also resembled that at least superficially, and there'd still be the same "problem".

Maybe some Christians think we should just avoid images altogether for that very reason. That's not really Christianity. That sounds more like Islam.

And it would be silly to begin with. Ancient pagans prayed. Does that mean Christians should avoid prayer lest they do as did the pagans?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Except we don't have a portrait or sculpture of Him the founder of Christianity...

Nothing left of the apostles and during their time either...

I think I know why...

I mean if they were available you can be sure the Church would have preserved them as most sacred relics...

"Art is a diverse range of human activities in creating visual, auditory or performing artifacts (artworks), expressing the author's imaginative or technical skill, intended to be appreciated for their beauty or emotional power." -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art

clefty

They're lovely pieces of art, but I often find myself wanting to laugh a little bit at how little they actually resemble what Jesus (probably) really looks like.

But love and reverence for Jesus is what is important. Accurate depiction not so much especially when it's not possible for us to know the details for sure anyway.

Yes I agree...love and reverence for Jesus is what is important...and He said do the Will of His Father which includes "make no image...worship none made..."

He knew how people need comfort, and to see with their eyes, touch with their hands, kiss with their lips...and yet He left NOTHING for us but His words...

Were it important enough He would have sat for His portrait and left many relics...instead He kept His Father's Law and asked we do the same...

clefty

The idea of mothers holding children in their lap was hardly invented by ancient Egyptian pagans. What would have been a more genuinely Christian depiction of Mary and the Christ-child, I wonder? There was probably some pagan art somewhere in the world which also resembled that at least superficially, and there'd still be the same "problem".

Maybe some Christians think we should just avoid images altogether for that very reason. That's not really Christianity. That sounds more like Islam.

And it would be silly to begin with. Ancient pagans prayed. Does that mean Christians should avoid prayer lest they do as did the pagans?

Iconoclasm was/is a bitter subject...but someone has to do it...LOL

Protestants continued with the reformation...some going as far as Carlstadt who removed all images from worship...Luther thought him too extreme...arguing were they to resort to such extremes they might as well include the Sabbath...as Carlstadt did...the restoration continues

Pagans do pray and love each other...best make your love and prayer distinct...and specific

Using His example and with proper Names not just "god" or "lord" or other such titles...

It is the third commandment after all...

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Yes I agree...love and reverence for Jesus is what is important...and He said do the Will of His Father which includes "make no image...Were it important enough He would have sat for His portrait..."

It wasn't important enough, and Jesus didn't sit for his portrait. But when you read of a person or a passage from the Bible, you have an "image" in your mind's eye. Putting that imagined scene to canvas with paint is art, and there is no biblical prohibition against art. Solomon's Temple had many carvings, images, and even statues. Cherubim were also woven into the tapestries of the traveling Sanctuary of Moses.

clefty

It wasn't important enough, and Jesus didn't sit for his portrait.
that should end it right there...His Words His work and with the Comforter is enough...

But when you read of a person or a passage from the Bible, you have an "image" in your mind's eye.
yes you do...but it really is impacted by other images we have seen all around us...and of that person...can you picture a black Jesus? Some can more easily than you...

Yahushua spoke in parables all the time played with the imagery of the mind...

Even used the well known story of the rich man and Lazarus...a fantastic story with amazing imagery...but how did the rich man in hell recognize it was Abraham's bosom Lazarus was in, when there was no photo ID of Abraham?

It's all part of a good story...

Putting that imagined scene to canvas with paint is art, and there is no biblical prohibition against art.
against making an image there is...make no image of ANYTHING...and then of course dont worship any made...

Solomon's Temple had many carvings, images, and even statues. Cherubim were also woven into the tapestries of the traveling Sanctuary of Moses.

Oh sure...Yah also said dont murder but then instructed even the innocents to be slain...

So take it up with Him...

He also instructed the bronze serpent to be made and viewed in order for Hebrews to be healed...

Years later however that snake was still viewed and venerated prayers were said through it to its prototype

and yet it was considered idolatry...and necessarily destroyed finally...

The temple too...still idolized despite the Spirit long gone...and now a wall and the land is considered Holy still despite the Spirit being rejected and thus abandoning it...

S-word

BANNED
Banned
It wasn't important enough, and Jesus didn't sit for his portrait. But when you read of a person or a passage from the Bible, you have an "image" in your mind's eye. Putting that imagined scene to canvas with paint is art, and there is no biblical prohibition against art. Solomon's Temple had many carvings, images, and even statues. Cherubim were also woven into the tapestries of the traveling Sanctuary of Moses.

I wonder just how many Christians know in what form were the cherubim of the lid of the covenant box depicted? The cherubim represented the chariot of God, and the covenant box, was situated within the innermost sanctuary of the temple, beneath the outstretched wings of the two greater cherubim.

Or whether they know where the scriptures state that the ark of the covenant is to be found today?

clefty

I wonder just how many Christians know in what form were the cherubim of the lid of the covenant box depicted? The cherubim represented the chariot of God, and the covenant box, was situated within the innermost sanctuary of the temple, beneath the outstretched wings of the two greater cherubim.

Or whether they know where the scriptures state that the ark of the covenant is to be found today?

Do tell...

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
He knew how people need comfort, and to see with their eyes, touch with their hands, kiss with their lips...and yet He left NOTHING for us but His words...
He has "left" His Church for us though; she has been preserved, as per His promise in Mt16:18(KJV).

S-word

BANNED
Banned
Do tell...

2 Maccabees 2:4-8Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)

4 It was also in the writing that the prophet, having received an oracle, ordered that the tent and the ark should follow with him, and that he went out to the mountain where Moses had gone up and had seen the inheritance of God. 5 And Jeremiah came and found a cave, and he brought there the tent and the ark and the altar of incense, and he sealed up the entrance. 6 Some of those who followed him came up to mark the way, but could not find it. 7 When Jeremiah learned of it, he rebuked them and declared: “The place shall be unknown until God gathers his people together again and shows his mercy. 8 And then the Lord will disclose these things, and the glory of the Lord and the cloud will appear, as they were shown in the case of Moses, and as Solomon asked that the place should be specially consecrated.”

As to the description of the Cherubim, I will not reveal it as yet, even though it can be found in the book of Ezekiel, for those to whom it is given to know.

There are those, the Ethiopians who claim they have the Ark of the covenant, but will not allow anyone to see it. Their imitation ark will be proven to be the fake that it is, when it is revealed, by the truth of the description of the Cherubims.

clefty

He has "left" His Church for us though; she has been preserved, as per His promise in Mt16:18(KJV).

Church being hearts and minds of her living saints living in spirit and truth yes? Or man made buildings and artifacts...

His church is obedient to Him His way...not selling indulgences or penance through relics and pilgrimages to view said holy stuff...

clefty

2 Maccabees 2:4-8Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)

4 It was also in the writing that the prophet, having received an oracle, ordered that the tent and the ark should follow with him, and that he went out to the mountain where Moses had gone up and had seen the inheritance of God. 5 And Jeremiah came and found a cave, and he brought there the tent and the ark and the altar of incense, and he sealed up the entrance. 6 Some of those who followed him came up to mark the way, but could not find it. 7 When Jeremiah learned of it, he rebuked them and declared: “The place shall be unknown until God gathers his people together again and shows his mercy. 8 And then the Lord will disclose these things, and the glory of the Lord and the cloud will appear, as they were shown in the case of Moses, and as Solomon asked that the place should be specially consecrated.”

As to the description of the Cherubim, I will not reveal it as yet, even though it can be found in the book of Ezekiel, for those to whom it is given to know.

There are those, the Ethiopians who claim they have the Ark of the covenant, but will not allow anyone to see it. Their imitation ark will be proven to be the fake that it is, when it is revealed, by the truth of the description of the Cherubims.

And all this like the bronze serpent...

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Church being hearts and minds of her living saints living in spirit and truth yes?
Saints both living, and those bodily departed; those being purged and those already in heaven. The community of saints, the Church, including her teachers; overseers, the successors of the Apostles.
Or man made buildings and artifacts...
No.
His church is obedient to Him His way...not selling indulgences or penance through relics and pilgrimages to view said holy stuff...
Ah.

clefty

Saints both living, and those bodily departed; those being purged and those already in heaven. The community of saints, the Church, including her teachers; overseers, the successors of the Apostles.
No.
Ah.

If an image speaks a thousands words...then these idols were to replace the thousands of Words not spoken...

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
If an image speaks a thousands words...then these idols were to replace the thousands of Words not spoken...
I went from dyed-in-the-wool Westminster standards Calvinist before 9/11, to atheism and then to Islam and then to the nonfictional Lord Jesus Christ, Who now sits beside Our Father Who art in heaven. I returned to this board 20.11.04.30 because 9/11 threw me for a roughly ten-year-long loop wrt publicly discussing matters of faith and morals.

clefty

I went from dyed-in-the-wool Westminster standards Calvinist before 9/11, to atheism and then to Islam and then to the nonfictional Lord Jesus Christ, Who now sits beside Our Father Who art in heaven. I returned to this board 20.11.04.30 because 9/11 threw me for a roughly ten-year-long loop wrt publicly discussing matters of faith and morals.

It is good to be reminded from time to time that these avatars, these digital fellowships represent real people with real stories...

May He lead...