Christian Art

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Art in all of its various forms has figured very prominently in the history of Christianity. It has even contributed to the conversion of masses of people to Christianity at times. Paintings and statues of Jesus and other biblical figures have inspired Christians to greater devotion to Christ and even inspired conversions of non-Christians to faith in Christ. With this in mind, I thought I'd start this thread to showcase images of Christian art throughout the centuries. Wherever possible, I will include references to the artists.

My personal favorite painting of Jesus is this one:

jesus2.jpg

We had one like that in my house when I was a child, and I've always appreciated it. I'm not sure who painted it, though. If anyone knows, please let me know.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Another favorite of mine is this painting by Eugeniusz Kazimirowski, made in 1934 under the direction of a Catholic nun named St. Faustina Kowalska. The image is based on a vision of Jesus which occurred to St. Faustina in 1931. During the vision, Jesus commissioned St. Faustina to paint this image:

Divine%20Mercy.jpg

"The two rays denote Blood and Water. The pale ray stands for the Water which makes souls righteous. The red ray stands for the Blood which is the life of souls...These two rays issued forth from the very depths of My tender mercy when My agonized Heart was opened by a lance on the Cross...Not in the beauty of the color, nor of the brush lies the greatness of this image, but in My grace."" — Words attributed to Jesus by Faustina in her diary.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
The following Divine Mercy image shown below is a rendition that was painted by Adolph Hyla for saving his family during the war in Poland:

Hyla-Divine-Mercy-image.jpg

The words printed at the bottom are Polish for: "Jesus, I trust in you."

S-word

BANNED
Banned
Actually, not much Jewish left at all about "Jesus"...

Something about man's traditions...

One of my great grand sons was doing a drawing one day, and I asked him who it was that he was drawing, and he said, "I'm drawin Jesus."

So I said to him, "You can't really draw Jesus, because no body knows what he looked like, then he looked up at me and said, "Yea, I Know, but they will when I'm finished my drawing."

clefty

Art in all of its various forms has figured very prominently in the history of Christianity.

Except we don't have a portrait or sculpture of Him the founder of Christianity...

Nothing left of the apostles and during their time either...

I think I know why...

I mean if they were available you can be sure the Church would have preserved them as most sacred relics...

S-word

BANNED
Banned
I love Catholic and Orthodox art and iconography---it makes me feel at home. :)

Originally, Cleopatra ruled with her father Ptolemy XIII and later with her brothers, Ptolemy XIII and Ptolemy XIV, whom she married as per Egyptian custom, but eventually she became sole ruler.

No children were born from her union with her two brothers, but she did bear a son [Caesarion] to Julius Caesar, who was later elevated to co-ruler in name only.

Cleopatra represented herself as the reincarnation of the Egyptian goddess ‘Isis’, and was given the title of “Queen of Kings” by Mark Anthony. Her son ‘Caesarion’ was also given many titles, including ‘god’, ‘Son of god’ and ‘King of Kings’ and was depicted as Horus the son of Isis. It was after the assassination of Caesar in 44 BC, that Cleopatra coupled up with Mark Anthony and in 40 BC she bore to him the twins Cleopatra Selene II and Alexander Helios/Heli, and later on another son, Ptolemy Philadelphus.

In late 34 BC, at the Donations of Alexandria, shortly after Anthony had conquered Armenia, Cleopatra and Caesarion were crowned rulers of Egypt and Cyprus. Alexander Helios, their six-year-old son, was crowned ruler of Aemenia, Media and Parthia; Cleopatra Selene II, Heli’s six-year-old twin sister, was crowned ruler of Cyrenaica and Libya, and Ptolemy Philadelphus, the younger of their three children was crowned ruler of Phoenicia, Syria and Cilicia.

Isis was the most popular goddess from the time of Psamtik 1 (663-610 B.C) till the coming of Christianity, her cult appealed to the Greeks and Romans alike and when Egypt came under Roman rule, her cult spread through much of Europe. By the time of Jesus, the chief centre of her worship was in Rome.

Isis is commonly depicted with Horus the child (Harpocrates) on her lap, and today, it is impossible to distinguish between the late pagan and early Christian figures of the mother and child, [Isis and Horus---Mary and Jesus] it’s almost as though the old Pagan Queen was stripped of her garments and clothed with the new covering of Christianity.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
As I said, I love Catholic and Orthodox art and iconography---it makes me feel at home.
Originally,
Spoiler
Cleopatra ruled with her father Ptolemy XIII and later with her brothers, Ptolemy XIII and Ptolemy XIV, whom she married as per Egyptian custom, but eventually she became sole ruler.

No children were born from her union with her two brothers, but she did bear a son [Caesarion] to Julius Caesar, who was later elevated to co-ruler in name only.

Cleopatra represented herself as the reincarnation of the Egyptian goddess ‘Isis’, and was given the title of “Queen of Kings” by Mark Anthony. Her son ‘Caesarion’ was also given many titles, including ‘god’, ‘Son of god’ and ‘King of Kings’ and was depicted as Horus the son of Isis. It was after the assassination of Caesar in 44 BC, that Cleopatra coupled up with Mark Anthony and in 40 BC she bore to him the twins Cleopatra Selene II and Alexander Helios/Heli, and later on another son, Ptolemy Philadelphus.

In late 34 BC, at the Donations of Alexandria, shortly after Anthony had conquered Armenia, Cleopatra and Caesarion were crowned rulers of Egypt and Cyprus. Alexander Helios, their six-year-old son, was crowned ruler of Aemenia, Media and Parthia; Cleopatra Selene II, Heli’s six-year-old twin sister, was crowned ruler of Cyrenaica and Libya, and Ptolemy Philadelphus, the younger of their three children was crowned ruler of Phoenicia, Syria and Cilicia.

Isis was the most popular goddess from the time of Psamtik 1 (663-610 B.C) till the coming of Christianity, her cult appealed to the Greeks and Romans alike and when Egypt came under Roman rule, her cult spread through much of Europe. By the time of Jesus, the chief centre of her worship was in Rome.

Isis is commonly depicted with Horus the child (Harpocrates) on her lap, and today, it is impossible to distinguish between the late pagan and early Christian figures of the mother and child, [Isis and Horus---Mary and Jesus] it’s almost as though the old Pagan Queen was stripped of her garments and clothed with the new covering of Christianity.
:)

clefty

One of my great grand sons was doing a drawing one day, and I asked him who it was that he was drawing, and he said, "I'm drawin Jesus."

So I said to him, "You can't really draw Jesus, because no body knows what he looked like, then he looked up at me and said, "Yea, I Know, but they will when I'm finished my drawing."

Haven't seen his work but you great grand son already has the appropriate attitude for a master artist...lol