Boxing MMA Talk

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Boxing is what American pride "was" about.

Up n up with no kicking grabbing and elbowing etc etc. it embraced Americanism by representing fair fight/fair play thinking. With the insertion of martial arts that mentality had faded and kids are thinking that grounding and pounding is the right thing to do.

Buzzword

Boxing is what American pride "was" about.

Up n up with no kicking grabbing and elbowing etc etc. it embraced Americanism by representing fair fight/fair play thinking. With the insertion of martial arts that mentality had faded and kids are thinking that grounding and pounding is the right thing to do.

Grounding and pounding is how every actual fight ever has gone, assuming it didn't also involve kicking the guy in the head after he's 2/3 unconscious

You really want to broach this particular subject?
Because I'm pretty sure the thousands of mixed martial artists with bachelor's degrees in accounting, biology, engineering, etc. trump the ex-cons and ex-gangbangers which make up far too much of boxing's past and present roster.

Then there's also the fact that MMA has changed the concept of fighting more in the past twenty years than it had on its own over the past 2,000.

We now know what works and what doesn't, and thus the high-flying techniques of kung fu have been rendered obsolete, and the idea of just teaching someone to attack/defend with punches without teaching them to grapple is now laughable.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Grounding and pounding is how every actual fight ever has gone, assuming it didn't also involve kicking the guy in the head after he's 2/3 unconscious

You really want to broach this particular subject?
Because I'm pretty sure the thousands of mixed martial artists with bachelor's degrees in accounting, biology, engineering, etc. trump the ex-cons and ex-gangbangers which make up far too much of boxing's past and present roster.

Then there's also the fact that MMA has changed the concept of fighting more in the past twenty years than it had on its own over the past 2,000.

We now know what works and what doesn't, and thus the high-flying techniques of kung fu have been rendered obsolete, and the idea of just teaching someone to attack/defend with punches without teaching them to grapple is now laughable.

Mma is fighting. Boxing is a sport. Wrestling is a sport.

The strange thing is that it is more difficult to defend yourself in mma but it is more difficult to win a boxing match.

Buzzword

Mma is fighting. Boxing is a sport. Wrestling is a sport.

The strange thing is that it is more difficult to defend yourself in mma but it is more difficult to win a boxing match.

MMA is a sport as well, as you pointed out earlier.
Sports have rules.

It is more difficult to defend yourself in MMA because you and your opponent have the freedom to win in many different ways.

A knockout can come from a punch, a kick, a knee, an elbow, or even a slam.
Or a combination of multiples of them.
A submission can happen standing, with the other guy on top of you, or underneath you.

Compared to that, boxing is just boring.
Especially when guys can just clinch over and over again and drag the thing out forever.

99lamb

Sports have rules.

It is more difficult to defend yourself in MMA because you and your opponent have the freedom to win in many different ways.

A submission can happen standing, with the other guy on top of you, or underneath you.

Especially when guys can just clinch over and over again and drag the thing out forever.

The evolution of MMA, from its original no rounds, elimination bouts,20 minute time limit, and fewer stand-ups. One of my favorite bouts was Gracie vs. Severn, Gracie on his back for the fight (his style), to eventually win with a triangle choke.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

Sports have rules.

Dude, it's so much more fun to box because of the rules.

I don't enjoy hugging another dude.
I probably would eat raw garlic before a match and try to out disgust my opponent with bad breath and farting. James toney (bum) should've tried that. Or at least try tickling Randy or sum thin it was a waste of time.

I respect mma fighters and trained with the inoye brothers. Randy couture got submitted by the younger brother in a UFC fight. They're tuff tuff tuff dudes but they can't punch out of a paper bag. I do think that the mma training is harder and more grueling on the body.

MMA just isn't quite at the place where it needs to be hand skill wise for me to pay attention. Prolly another ten years. They need to take a great fighter like the Cal Kid and teach him how to Pacman his way thru other phenomenal wrestlers. Because he can't do that, he keeps losing to his nemesis'. Don't take it personal. I'm not saying I can beat up an mma guy. I am sharing what I've seen and experienced with them as friends.

I can walk into an mma gym and see guys working the heavy bags and turn heads at my age 48 with a broken back and a rod in my leg.

Poppin off 5-10-12 punch combos soundin like gun shots son! Haha k calming down. It took me years to be able to develop good punching techniques. mma fighters don't have the luxury of years of hand training.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Boxing MMA Talk

The evolution of MMA, from its original no rounds, elimination bouts,20 minute time limit, and fewer stand-ups. One of my favorite bouts was Gracie vs. Severn, Gracie on his back for the fight (his style), to eventually win with a triangle choke.

Yeah I was in the gym when Kimo and Orlando Weiss were training together. I went up to kimo and shared a scripture with him...got a blank stare.

I could have beat him. Especially in a boxing match. It has evolved to a wrestler dominated game. There are so many things a boxer has to calculate at a higher rate of speed during a match than the UFC fighters.
I'm waiting to see a UFC guy play possum for example. It doesn't seem hard to believe that a guy could take a viscous leg kick, pretend he was hurt bad and catch his opponent coming in by surprise. My observations. I see every single one of these guys falling for that just because they haven't evolved enough.
I liked it way more with no gloves no rules, way more.

99lamb

May 3, its Money Time,
give your predictions Mayweather vs Maidana.
My sentimental favorite is Maidana, but if I were betting the money is on Mayweather, who will stay away fight defensively and win a UD. Maidana has a punchers chance.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
May 3, its Money Time,

give your predictions Mayweather vs Maidana.

My sentimental favorite is Maidana, but if I were betting the money is on Mayweather, who will stay away fight defensively and win a UD. Maidana has a punchers chance.

Ok
I saw the broner fight

Broner lacks the body type to effectively copy mayweathers style. Kind of like meldrick Taylor

Speed got timed by a wide swinging Maidana.

I see mayweather out pointing Maidana

Neutralizes the onslaught in first 4 rounds and turns tables by 7 and stopping Maidana in 9

99lamb

anyone see Jon Jones
fight last weekend?

yes, I thought Jones had hurt his right hand? but the elbows were accurate.
Got his fingers in Gover's eyes @3xs, setting up the elbows.

The Phil Davis undercard was a good fight also.

99lamb

Ok
I saw the broner fight

Broner lacks the body type to effectively copy mayweathers style. Kind of like meldrick Taylor

Speed got timed by a wide swinging Maidana.

I see mayweather out pointing Maidana

Neutralizes the onslaught in first 4 rounds and turns tables by 7 and stopping Maidana in 9

I still think the fight goes the distance, however ....the fight might be off due to a disagreement on the gloves

"The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) agreed and said that they would not allow the gloves. The Maidana camp switched to the "stock" red Everlast MX gloves. These were approved by the NSAC, but the Mayweather camp continues to object, saying that they aren't going to fight if Maidana wears the Everlast gloves.

Team Mayweather is attempting to force Maidana to use Grant gloves, the same that Mayweather uses. Everlast are known as "puncher's gloves," preferred by most of the sport's heavy hitters while Grants are a favorite of men like Floyd, who have a history of hand injuries."
http://www.sbnation.com/2014/5/3/5677712/mayweather-vs-maidana-glove-controversy-fight-off

I'm thinking Mayweather is playing head games.

99lamb

Mayweather in 12.
one ref had the fight even 114 to 114.
I thought the fight was close, better than most expected. Mayweather's defense is so good, Maidana could not get that one clean shot.

Buzzword

jones won.
Jones is going to beat most, his height and reach advantage are too much to overcome.

Except for Gustafsson, who is equal in reach, a far superior striker, and was able to totally nullify Jones' grappling.

Once Alex plows through Stipe Miocic, I think we'll see that most of the issues he had against Jones were due to it being his first 5-round fight.

Up until he gassed, he had Jones frustrated and consistently pummeled.
Of course, even while gassed he still managed to stuff all but one takedown attempt.