Boxing MMA Talk

99lamb

and just as an aside, George Foreman (vs Holyfield), standing in the corner, not taking the stool, nice psych game.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
By the time foreman was making his comeback mike was already self deceived. Like I said, he'd walk straight in and start bombing and get taken out - 2 rounds.

George foreman has 12" wrists.

99lamb

By the time foreman was making his comeback mike was already self deceived. Like I said, he'd walk straight in and start bombing and get taken out - 2 rounds.

George foreman has 12" wrists.

prediction about a fight that never happened.

Lets have your input on mayweather vs. maidana, in May.
Should be very interesting given Maidana's performance victory over (very similar to Mayweather) Adrien Broner.
Floyd's coming up on the Marciano mark.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
prediction about a fight that never happened.

Lets have your input on mayweather vs. maidana, in May.

Should be very interesting given Maidana's performance victory over (very similar to Mayweather) Adrien Broner.

Floyd's coming up on the Marciano mark.

Let me watch the broner fight first. I've been out of watching for many years. I called holy over tyson, Bradley over pacman 1 and pacman over Bradley 2.

I do think that the only fighter who would beat mayweather was Whitaker.

99lamb

Let me watch the broner fight first. I've been out of watching for many years. I called holy over tyson, Bradley over pacman 1 and pacman over Bradley 2.

I do think that the only fighter who would beat mayweather was Whitaker.

Pac vs. Bradley I, too controversial, I thought Pac won.
Broner vs. Maidana is on Youtube.
key on Maidana's left hook.

Christ's Word

Watched Jon Jones go 5 rounds today UFC 165? That boy took a beating, surprised the judges gave him the win. How did y'all see that fight?

Buzzword

Watched Jon Jones go 5 rounds today UFC 165? That boy took a beating, surprised the judges gave him the win. How did y'all see that fight?

I thought it was a robbery. Gustaffson completely nullified his wrestling, and consistently tagged him again and again.

Jones had one good flurry of elbows late in the fight, but the rest of the fight was all Alex.

Just goes to show that the judges love style over substance.
Can't wait for the rematch.

The Berean

My top 10: best pound for pound

Ali
Jones Jr
Ray Robinson
Whitaker
Holyfield
Haggler
Leanord
Floyd Mayweather
Duran
Foreman

Sugar Ray Robinson? You do realize there's like 70-80 years of boxing history before the mid 1970's, right? :p

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Sugar Ray Robinson? You do realize there's like 70-80 years of boxing history before the mid 1970's, right? :p

Yes. But I didn't watch them. Just Sugar Ray Robinson.

I'm sure there where some great fighters I just don't know about them.

I do see a transition in speed and punching technique tho.

For example bare knuckle fighters held their hands differently and went scores of rounds without breaking their hands. Today's fighters would break their hands if they did that old style. The use of gloves changed the way punches are delivered.

Christ's Word

I think the cuban fighter Teofilo Stevenson certainly belongs near the top, one of the most skilled boxers ever. What a shame communism prevented him from fighting as a professional.

The Berean

I think the cuban fighter Teofilo Stevenson certainly belongs near the top, one of the most skilled boxers ever. What a shame communism prevented him from fighting as a professional.

There's great debate over how Stevenson would have done as a pro. Some boxing folks think he would have done well. Others think his boxing style would have flopped in the professional ranks. He was offered $5 million to fight Ali in 1976 and he turned it down. His prime would have been the mid-to-late 1970's, a time when the heavyweight division was very deep. Here's some great discussion about Stevenson's potential as a pro.

http://www.boxingforum24.com/showthread.php?t=490113

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593353

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

Yea, my boxing coaches loved him. We didn't have YouTube then to watch and learn.

JosephR

Rocky Marciano, and Mike Tyson for Boxing.

Fedor Elmilinenko , Robby Lawler, Tank Abbot,, I like brawlers.. but Fedor was technically genius.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Boxing MMA Talk

Yeah altho James tony was an awesome boxer,,He failed pretty bad at MMA

5'9" 265lbs bum Toney?

Boxers will usually always get grabbed and tackled. It would take a lot of brutality for a boxer to be successful and the rules of mma do not permit what it would take. The octagon rules favor the wrestlers.

I've got an Irish pal who fought Roy Jones Jr for the national amateure title (lost by decision), he thinks that in order for boxers to do well they would have to illuminate the gloves and just use hand wraps. That's not a good idea.

Buzzword

5'9" 265lbs bum Toney?

Boxers will usually always get grabbed and tackled. It would take a lot of brutality for a boxer to be successful and the rules of mma do not permit what it would take. The octagon rules favor the wrestlers.

I've got an Irish pal who fought Roy Jones Jr for the national amateure title (lost by decision), he thinks that in order for boxers to do well they would have to illuminate the gloves and just use hand wraps. That's not a good idea.

An elite boxer would just have to learn takedown/grappling defense.

See early-days Chuck Liddell.
He was knocking out grapplers left and right because he used his wrestling background to STAND BACK UP every time they even kinda got him down.

An elite-level athlete is elite-level because of natural talent and discipline, not because of choice of sport.
An elite boxer could become an elite grappler with the right trainers.
Of course, that river runs both ways, and the hardcore grapplers have to become at least mediocre strikers to have a chance, and many are going the extra mile and becoming awesome at it.

See this past weekend's fight between Fabricio Werdum and Travis Browne for a great example.

And with boxing gradually going the way of the dodo, more and more boxing trainers are turning to MMA gyms to earn their keep.

The best example of this IMO is the partnership of Matt Serra and Ray Longo in New York.

Also, Randy Couture making a sock monkey out of James Toney was a thing of beauty.