Boxing MMA Talk

Buzzword

At least the MMA heavyweights are still going strong, though with Velasquez and Dos Santos at the top of the division it's not every competitive.

Though the UFC recently announced that the winner of the upcoming fight between Travis Browne and Fabricio Werdum will get the next shot against Cain, which will be at the UFC's debut in Mexico.

99lamb

Buzzword
At least the MMA heavyweights are still going strong, though with Velasquez and Dos Santos at the top of the division it's not every competitive.
Once upon a time the heavyweights had men like Archie Moore who gained the title at @43 yrs old.
The MMA guys with those 6oz gloves take a beating. Dos Santos is a great example of a durable chin, able to take some nasty punishment.

Though the UFC recently announced that the winner of the upcoming fight between Travis Browne and Fabricio Werdum will get the next shot against Cain, which will be at the UFC's debut in Mexico
should be a good fight, not sure who will win.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
they are scheduled for a third time in July.

I see no reason for this since Penn has already been beaten 2x.

Cain obviously worked his hand skills and beat dos santos because of it, I didn't watch their second fight.

Bj is not going to win unless he gets his punch count up to 15,000 punches per day in training. That would require non stop boxing training with no time for the grappling he is already excellent at. Until the elite wrestlers and grapplers figure out that by gaining professional punching skills they will continue to struggle. An example is joe calzaghe the retired super middle weight boxer from England. He has a drill where he punches a heavy bag over 2000 times in three minutes.

I wish some of the trainers in mma would recognize this. A lot of high level wrestlers could be completely unstoppable with 18 months of pure boxing training.

99lamb

Mike tyson was a bum.

Bum, how.. by his boxing skills, I would ask before or after original team Cus, Rooney, Jacobs, Claton, and his siding with King.
Tyson biggest deficit was his character, something Teddy Atlas talks about.

99lamb

Cain obviously worked his hand skills and beat dos santos because of it, I didn't watch their second fight.

Bj is not going to win unless he gets his punch count up to 15,000 punches per day in training. That would require non stop boxing training with no time for the grappling he is already excellent at. Until the elite wrestlers and grapplers figure out that by gaining professional punching skills they will continue to struggle. An example is joe calzaghe the retired super middle weight boxer from England. He has a drill where he punches a heavy bag over 2000 times in three minutes.

I wish some of the trainers in mma would recognize this. A lot of high level wrestlers could be completely unstoppable with 18 months of pure boxing training.

just noticed this , 2000 punches in 3 minutes or 180seconds, means he is hitting the bag 11x in a second. I think that somewhere the numbers have gotten skewed.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Bum, how.. by his boxing skills, I would ask before or after original team Cus, Rooney, Jacobs, Claton, and his siding with King.

Tyson biggest deficit was his character, something Teddy Atlas talks about.

Tyson is a bum and a rapist.

Cus and Rooney tried to help him and gave him the training he needed to compete at 5'11" as a heavy weight. He was an Olympic alternate behind Tubbs and sparred with Holyfield at the Olympic training village in Colorado where Evander soundly beat the crap out of him in 83.

Evander would be the number one contender for two years before getting a shot at the HW title that got cancelled against Tyson because Tyson got sick. Don king wanted nuttin to do with that match up and sent mike to japan to fight Douglas instead. A stablemate of mine here from Kalakaua gym who wasted his career on cocaine told me he was with mike and bobby brown (rapper who had a show in Hawaii) smoking ice prior to going to japan.

Mike abandoned everything Rooney taught him. He thought that he was the baddest man on the planet at 22 because king told him he was. Rather than working behind his jab he would walk right into the center of the ring and bomb away. Look at the line of bums he beat during king's make believe tour. Remember a guy who was making a comeback around that time? The guy who was an expert at blasting out the shorter bob n weave style guys like Frazier? George Foreman. King wanted nothing to do with him either.

When Holyfield finally got his chance I got to tell everyone "I told you so."

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I don't understand why many churchgoers keep up with pop culture.

It is just strange, since Jesus says His followers are not the world.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

Cus and Rooney tried to help him and gave him the training he needed to compete at 5'11" as a heavy weight. He was an Olympic alternate behind Tubbs and sparred with Holyfield at the Olympic training village in Colorado where Evander soundly beat the crap out of him in 83.

Evander would be the number one contender for two years before getting a shot at the HW title that got cancelled against Tyson because Tyson got sick. Don king wanted nuttin to do with that match up and sent mike to japan to fight Douglas instead. A stablemate of mine here from Kalakaua gym who wasted his career on cocaine told me he was with mike and bobby brown (rapper who had a show in Hawaii) smoking ice prior to going to japan.

Mike abandoned everything Rooney taught him. He thought that he was the baddest man on the planet at 22 because king told him he was. Rather than working behind his jab he would walk right into the center of the ring and bomb away. Look at the line of bums he beat during king's make believe tour. Remember a guy who was making a comeback around that time? The guy who was an expert at blasting out the shorter bob n weave style guys like Frazier? George Foreman. King wanted nothing to do with him either.

When Holyfield finally got his chance I got to tell everyone "I told you so."

Promoters like King have pretty much ruined Heavyweight Boxing AFAIC....Aaaand you are right. Tyson was a bum. The only talent he had really was that he was an exceptionally savage thug...Something which will only last so long in boxing.

The Berean

I don't understand why many churchgoers keep up with pop culture.

It is just strange, since Jesus says His followers are not the world.

So, Hitomi, you NEVER watch TV or movies? You NEVER listen to music? You NEVER read a newspaper? You just stay at home and read the four Gospels (while skipping the other 95% of the Bible) and NEVER look outside your window? You obvious go onto the Internet. Is TOL the only website you visit? :think:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

A 21 year old whipping a 17 year old boy? No way.

Mike abandoned everything Rooney taught him. He thought that he was the baddest man on the planet at 22

Yeah, I wonder where he got that idea. It couldn't have been knocking out all those heavy weight fighters in the first round.

Look at the line of bums he beat during king's make believe tour.

Your post is full of history revision. Michael Spinks had never even been on the mat, let alone knocked unconscious. He is definitely a criminal, but a much better boxer than you think. Your distaste for him being the rapist that he is causing you to emote.