Bible version

Truster

I have 8 hard copy translations that I use for study and also access as many other language translations as there are sites that provide them. I seldom read the Bible anymore. I prefer to listen and when listening I prefer the KJV. There are times when I listen and read at the same time and I find this to be a particular blessing.

There is no infallible translation. Scripture is only infallible as it was originally given. The closer we can get to what the first hearer's heard and understood the more accurately we understand.

There is a tendency to rely on the English translation of words when the English equivalent does not exist. This also applies to all other languages, of course. The fact of the matter is simple. If the reader does not understand individual words then the reader cannot understand what was being said by the author.

James Strong said, "All translators are traitors" and had a perfectly valid reason for saying so.

New International PerVersion
http://www.av1611.org/niv.html

What are your prefered translations?

Truster

There's a guy I meet in Town and a few years ago I asked him if he had a Bible. He said he did and so I asked if he read it, he answered that he couldn't understand it. I asked if he had a translation he could understand would he read it and he said, yes.
I bought him a NIV New Testament and within a couple of months he'd read it. He told me it was easier to understand.

I then realised that I had met many people who had said the same thing and in saying so they had left themselves inexcusable. They had in fact read the Fathers will and said they'd understood it. Then why didn't they obey the will of The Father?

Epoisses

The idiot who says you have to have a perfect translation to know God is an idiot. God's Spirit can touch hearts thru the worst translation or no translation at all. Truster has fallen into the pit of works-righteousness where he is 'trying' to be perfect in the flesh. Some new convert with a NIV could beat him hands down.

Truster

PS

KJV 1875 & 1611
Young's Literal
A facsimile of Theodore Haak translation of The Staten Bible
Moffat
Jay P Green Interlinear
Herb Jahn Exegeses
The Amplified and NIV although seriously flawed the NIV does occasionally give a enlightening English translation of a particular verse.

God's Truth

I have 8 hard copy translations that I use for study and also access as many other language translations as there are sites that provide them. I seldom read the Bible anymore. I prefer to listen and when listening I prefer the KJV. There are times when I listen and read at the same time and I find this to be a particular blessing.

There is no infallible translation. Scripture is only infallible as it was originally given. The closer we can get to what the first hearer's heard and understood the more accurately we understand.

There is a tendency to rely on the English translation of words when the English equivalent does not exist. This also applies to all other languages, of course. The fact of the matter is simple. If the reader does not understand individual words then the reader cannot understand what was being said by the author.

James Strong said, "All translators are traitors" and had a perfectly valid reason for saying so.

New International PerVersion
http://www.av1611.org/niv.html

What are your prefered translations?

Mr Strong is not from the Bible times and is from a denomination that has many errors.

God's Truth

The idiot who says you have to have a perfect translation to know God is an idiot. God's Spirit can touch hearts thru the worst translation or no translation at all. Truster has fallen into the pit of works-righteousness where he is 'trying' to be perfect in the flesh. Some new convert with a NIV could beat him hands down.

You have some false beliefs, but what is more false of you than anything, it is that you have not the love of God. You are a mean and bitter person.

Revelation 2:4 Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first.

Did you ever know your First Love?

You certainly need to remember Him then.

Were you saved and then fell into false doctrines?

Then you better listen to the truth and correct yourself.

1 Timothy 4:16 Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What's your favorite translation to study? Or just to read daily?
The KJV.

When studying with a group of others, it is the version most used by others.
I like the language style and the poetic flow of it,

The most used and familiar concordances are linked with the KJV, which also makes it easier to study with others.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The NIV is sufficient.
But it completely deletes of lot of verses, especially after the 1984-1985 NIV versions.
Before that they would show deletions in the margins, but after the 80's, they left them out altogether.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
KJV is my mainstay and for nearly forty years.
Like Tam, all my word studies and other reference books are keyed to the KJV.
However, it was the Catholic version of the Living Bible when asked to read 1Co 1-2 that exposed my foolishness and set me on the path to Christ. It's not a version that I use now, but it was very easy reading at that point in my life and 'the preaching of the cross' came through loud and clear.
I also have hard copies of versions to which I compare the KJV such as:

JP Greene's Interlinear
NASB
NKJ
The Hebrew-Greek Key Word Study Bible KJV by Spiros Zodhiates
The Majority Text Greek New Testament Interlinear
The English-Greek Reverse Interlinear New Testament- Nestle-Aland Novum Testamentum Graece- ESV
The Complete Jewish Bible- David Stern
The Tanakh- JPS Version
Greek-English New Testament- Nestle-Aland
The Interlinear NASB-NIV Parallel New Testament
Nave's Topical Bible
The Thompson Chain Reference Bible
The Reformation Study Bible- ESV
The Septuagint with Apocrypha Greek and English
The American Study Bible
Holy Bible- Pilgrim Edition
The New Testament- JB Phillips
The Apologetics Study Bible

Some of those are duplicates of the same text, of course, but they all are hard copies that are in my office. I don't agree with all of them but it's interesting to me to see how some folks translate some words and verses.

Then there are lots of other Bibles that I, some occasionally, some frequently reference in the e-Sword and Logos programs.

Again... my mainstay is the KJV- Cambridge Edition(the cross-references are excellent).
It's the Bible that I carry around with me, which I've worn out several times and replaced with the same printing.

Eagles Wings

I seldom read the Bible anymore. I prefer to listen and when listening I prefer the KJV. There are times when I listen and read at the same time and I find this to be a particular blessing.
I almost always read and listen now, too. There are free audios on the net. One guy has a British accent with fine enunciation, but there is music in the background that detracts.

Last edited: