Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightSon

Originally posted by Flake
Love for a master can never be sincere.

I can understand your statement as a generality, but when you package it as an absolute and aim it at my sincerity, you are speaking from ignorance. How can you possibly discern another man's sincerity?

Jesus said, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Jesus is my friend. He demonstrated as much when he sacrificed his own life so that we could be together forever. My knowledge of Him is not perfect, but it is increasing nevertheless. As I contemplate His love for me, my love for Him increases.

He also said, 'I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. "

ZroKewl

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
No. Jesus Christ is my Lord, my Savior, and my Master. I have other friends, but I love Him the most.
I'm sorry. I thought I was asking a rhetorical question. :'-(
--ZK

flash

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by avatar382
I like to think of it this way - imagine a WW2 plane crashes on a Pacific Island during the Battle of Midway, killing it's pilot, but the plane, although wrecked, stays somewhat intact. The local population of monkeys come upon the wreck. The monkeys will never understand what the wreck is, and will never be able to make the plane it fly again or even understand how it once worked. However, maybe they can detect that the wreck is something which is not a part of their natural enviroment.

Thus, we are monkeys, and the plane is symbolic of the questions we have of the universe and our origins. Will we ever understand the plane? Maybe, but I highly doubt it. I believe that man will always have questions about the universe. I am one of those that is ok with saying "I don't know."

Interesting. For some reason, this has reminded me of the philosopher Bernard Lonergan's epistemological theory. He defines three categories of knowledge:

1. Questions that are raised and answered satisfactorily.
2. Questions that are raised, which cannot be answered satisfactorily.
3. Questions that cannot even be raised.

He goes on to define an intellectual horizon as the line separating category 2 from category 3. So an individual in a certain phase of their intellectual development will wonder about the answers to the questions in category 2. As the individual develops more, the bar is raised and they wonder about and raise questions they could not have even considered before. He also says that these horizons can be defined for different cultures, etc.

PureX

Originally posted by flash
Interesting. For some reason, this has reminded me of the philosopher Bernard Lonergan's epistemological theory. He defines three categories of knowledge:

1. Questions that are raised and answered satisfactorily.
2. Questions that are raised, which cannot be answered satisfactorily.
3. Questions that cannot even be raised.
I think he could have added a couple of categories, here. How about questions that contain their own answers, within the questions themselves. Or questions that don't actually want an answer, but simply want to accuse the person being asked under the guise of a question?

I like questions, usually more than I like their answers. *smile* Good questions usually tell us a lot more than just the information that they are specifically seeking. And I agree with Bernard's theory - interesting people tend to ask interesting questions. And smart people ask lots of question, not so much because they want lots of answers, but because they know we all love to be asked questions. And kind people actually LISTEN to the answers to the questions they ask, and even to the answers they haven't asked for.

Questions are like doors, almost every time you open one up you find something interesting inside.

flash

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by PureX
I think he could have added a couple of categories, here. How about questions that contain their own answers, within the questions themselves. Or questions that don't actually want an answer, but simply want to accuse the person being asked under the guise of a question?

He covers all this, and more, before presenting his statement of horizons. He is a pretty analytical thinker and, if you are interested in epistemology, I would highly recommend his Insight: A Study of Human Understanding.

Scrimshaw

I said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That ultimately is a regurgitation of Avatar's option, except you're adding some kind of nebulous concept of "evil" in the mix.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by heusdens
I did not introduce the nebular concept of 'evil' but the poster of the message I was quoting, already introduced this nebulae.

I do however not concede with such a nebular concept of 'evil', since I stated we have yet to define what this 'evil' is.

If atheism is true, then "evil" is just a subjective figment of the human imagination. So yes, according to atheism, the definition of "evil" is totally nebuluous and arbitrary.

I said:
Of course this is your athestic assumption. You ASSUME that theistic morality isn't a "truthful projection of reality". You can't prove it.

I do not merely assume it, cause I know it.

If you "know" it, then you will have no trouble at all proving it. Let's see......

Theism is not a truthfull projection of morality, since theism as a whole is fundamentally flawed, because of the introduction of "actors outside time, space and matter". This is an assumption without any base and any relfection on the reality as we know it, and therefore out of the world and out of the question.

False. The evidence found *within* "time, space, and matter" points to it having a cause that is *outside* of time, space, and matter. The laws of thermodynamics prohibit the notion of the universe having an eternal energy supply, or causing itself to exist out of nothing. Therefore, an extra-universal cause-agent is required.

And the reasoning is absurd: or we have to accept an ABSOLUTE morality, or we would be left with NO MORALITY at all. This in fact is a denyal of any human concept of moral, as moral is to be understood in the context of real people and real circumstances only and not outside of that.

It is a fact that atheism undermines morality. If atheism is true, then no absolute morals exist. Moral preferences would be just as arbitrary and subjective as liking chocolate ice cream over vanilla. The very concepts of "good" and "evil" would be imaginary values that humans make-believe. What you call "evil" would merely be your personal opinion. But if we are nothing but accidental by-products of a cosmic explosion, why the hell should we care about your imaginary idea of "evil", or anyone else's for that matter? When taken to it's logical end, atheism undermines morality. It's a fact.

quote:
Then how do you explain that as of last November, every intellegience agency in the world, including the French, said that Saddam possessed WMD? Was every intel agency in the world wrong? Do you have access to all the intelligence reports? Have you read them? Have you proved where their data was flawed? In short, are you an expert on this topic who is qualified to categorically state that WMD "did not exist at all"?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have read other reports as well, in which it was already made clear (due to the weapon inspectors) that Iraq by the time of 1996 was already disarmed.

I'm not interested in getting into a ongoing political discussion, but I will address a few points this once. As of last November, every intelligence agency in the world confirmed that Saddam possessed WMD. You've said nothing to counter that fact, or explain why that was so. Is it reasonable to believe that EVERY intelligence agency in the world was incorrect? No, it is not. Furthermore, Hans Blix stated shortly before the war that Iraq had still not demonstrated that they were no longer in material breach of resolution 1441. In other words, Saddam had never provided evidence that he had fully disarmed.

But wether Saddam Hussein is a lyer or not, and wether they are "cooperative" or not, it is simply impossible for anyone to proof that they do not have something in their possession.

False. We know exactly what kind of chemical agents Saddam possessed, and, how much of it he possessed. You can't destroy that amount of biological weaponry without documentation. Saddam NEVER provided documentation of where/when/how all of those chemical weapons were destroyed.

If I would accuse you of having a weapon in your possession, how can you ever proof that that is not the case?

But Saddam wasn't accused of having just ONE weapon, so your analogy fails. We know for a fact that he had stockpiles of biological weaponry, and thousands of pounds of chemical agents. He had given no evidence for when/where/how those stockpiles were destroyed. Again, that amount of weaponry does not get destroyed without some kind of documentation. In fact, it would have been in Saddam's *interest* to document the disposal of those weapons because he could then present it to the UN and vindicate himself in their eyes. The fact that he never provided that documentation to the UN proves two things:

1) Saddam does not give a rat's arse what the UN thinks.
2) He never destroyed the chemical weapon stockpiles.

The three reasons for starting that war, despite the lies they presented to us, are however very simple:
1. Oil
2. Oil
3. Oil

Impossible. In the first Gulf War, the Allied forces had laid to waste Iraq's entire military resistance. If the oil is all they wanted, they would have easily taken it then. But they didn't, because that is not what the war was about. This just goes to show how poor your thinking is. Furthermore, if the US took total control of the oil in Iraq, it would be transparent for everyone in the world to see. This is clearly not happening because if it was, every single country who opposed the war would be bellowing and complaining about it to the UN, which is clearly not the case.

Last edited:

heusdens

Originally posted by Scrimshaw
If atheism is true, then "evil" is just a subjective figment of the human imagination. So yes, according to atheism, the definition of "evil" is totally nebuluous and arbitrary.

I think you use "evil" as an abstract "thing" that exists apart from and seperate from evil acts or conducts, etc. I think that is not the case. There are conditions and cirumstances in which we call something evil, but evil as such does not exist.

If you "know" it, then you will have no trouble at all proving it. Let's see......

You can read it here

What it proofs is that we need to conclude that something outside, apart of and independend of consciousness must be the primary and essential stuff to the world, that is indestructable.

This "stuff" is known as matter. For the rest of our knowledge, we can built up everything from this concept of matter, without ever needing a concept like God.

False. The evidence found *within* "time, space, and matter" points to it having a cause that is *outside* of time, space, and matter. The laws of thermodynamics prohibit the notion of the universe having an eternal energy supply, or causing itself to exist out of nothing. Therefore, an extra-universal cause-agent is required.

I have just been through a lenghty discussion on that with One Eyed Jack, I don't want to repeat it. Just look it up.

You are making a mistake since a "begin" to matter is prohibited by the first law, and now you want to reintroduce that again based on the second law.

However, the second law of thermodynamics is applicable only to closed systems that are a finite part of the universe.

The universe is obviously not something that would fit in a finite box.

Since the amount of usable energy has not totally decreased, since I witness there is a sun, I conclude that therefore the universe isn't a closed system, and the second law is not applicable to it.

Otherwise, YOU would need to work out how something comes into existence from nothing, and thereby violating ALL known physics laws, esp. the first law.

You can't.

And then there is this. If you conclude in your head at some time that for your appearent lack of understanding, the universe/world is impossible and could in fact not even exist, despite the fact that it does exist, then there are only two options:

Either, we live in grand illusion, and everything we see and know about the world is unreal

Or (and that is most plausible) YOU don't understand the world correctly.

It is a fact that atheism undermines morality. If atheism is true, then no absolute morals exist. Moral preferences would be just as arbitrary and subjective as liking chocolate ice cream over vanilla. The very concepts of "good" and "evil" would be imaginary values that humans make-believe. What you call "evil" would merely be your personal opinion. But if we are nothing but accidental by-products of a cosmic explosion, why the hell should we care about your imaginary idea of "evil", or anyone else's for that matter? When taken to it's logical end, atheism undermines morality. It's a fact.

Wrong. This is just your prejudice against atheism.
If you state this without proof, I am not even going to argue it with you. If Theism is so right about morality why didn't the Christian institution RESIST against the persecution of the Jews and the holocaust?

They didn't resist! Some people did, and offerered their lives. AMONGST THEM ALSO ATHEISTS AND COMMUNISTS.

And I am not going to discuss this further, if you call yourself a Christian then you OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED about how little efforts christians made in resising the nazi's.

You might have some moral in theory, but when the time comes they actually have to show their moral, and might be confronted with the fact that it might also costs their lives, they are just like cowards.

How many of the nations and citizins in Western-Europe where Christian? Didn't they see the danger? Why didn't they stop Hitler and Franco and Mussolini, at the time they could?

Why didn't they?

And as a matter of fact I should add here that I come from a communist family. We were resistance fighters. We did not collaborate with the nazi's, but did our duties in fighting fascism.

Of the Dutch communist party, more as 1/3 of its members were taken to concentration camps and never returned!

Do you think a christian institution as the Catholic church were doing any resistance work? No, they collaborated with the nazi's. Not all, but large part did.

I'm not interested in getting into a ongoing political discussion, but I will address a few points this once. As of last November, every intelligence agency in the world confirmed that Saddam possessed WMD. You've said nothing to counter that fact, or explain why that was so. Is it reasonable to believe that EVERY intelligence agency in the world was incorrect? No, it is not. Furthermore, Hans Blix stated shortly before the war that Iraq had still not demonstrated that they were no longer in material breach of resolution 1441. In other words, Saddam had never provided evidence that he had fully disarmed.

That is the rulership of this new "Roman Empire" that controls every individual news agent, and manipulates the mass media.

Have you not seen the mass protests against this war?
Have you not seen these people telling that there is no evidence for such weapons?

False. We know exactly what kind of chemical agents Saddam possessed, and, how much of it he possessed. You can't destroy that amount of biological weaponry without documentation. Saddam NEVER provided documentation of where/when/how all of those chemical weapons were destroyed.

And how do "we" know that? BECAUSE THE U.S. AND OTHER ALLIED NATIONS DELIVERED THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

But Saddam wasn't accused of having just ONE weapon, so your analogy fails. We know for a fact that he had stockpiles of biological weaponry, and thousands of pounds of chemical agents. He had given no evidence for when/where/how those stockpiles were destroyed. Again, that amount of weaponry does not get destroyed without some kind of documentation. In fact, it would have been in Saddam's *interest* to document the disposal of those weapons because he could then present it to the UN and vindicate himself in their eyes. The fact that he never provided that documentation to the UN proves two things:

1) Saddam does not give a rat's arse what the UN thinks.
2) He never destroyed the chemical weapon stockpiles.

Impossible. In the first Gulf War, the Allied forces had laid to waste Iraq's entire military resistance. If the oil is all they wanted, they would have easily taken it then. But they didn't, because that is not what the war was about. This just goes to show how poor your thinking is. Furthermore, if the US took total control of the oil in Iraq, it would be transparent for everyone in the world to see. This is clearly not happening because if it was, every single country who opposed the war would be bellowing and complaining about it to the UN, which is clearly not the case.

Tell me.

Why did they "INVENT" their evidence, and thereby having dishonest purposes for going there in the first place?

Why is the war there still going on?

Why is it allowed for the US to have chemical, biological and nuclear weapons and not other nations?

Why can they install weapons of mass-destruction in South-Korea (including nuclear weapons) and why do they disallow Democratic People's Republic of Korea to develop their own defense system with nuclear weapons (which is for them a logical option, since they are threatened and need a big army for their defense, they can better use these people in working on the economy).

Etc.

Last edited:

Scrimshaw

I said:
Yes, it is a gap theory. We know. It's an elastic theory that can be stretched to explain whatever it has to explain, regardless of how little the empirical evidence actually supports it.

Elastic theory:

If you mean by elastic that it is not presented to us as a doctrine

Actually, I talked to quite a few evolutionists who speak of it just as if it were a doctrine.

The nature of the development of scientific theory is, that because they do not depend on belief or dogma, but progress forward with human ability to explore reality, are elastic in nature (as is man himself).

Evolution theory is elastic, but the evolutionists most certainly are NOT! Getting evolutionists to even conceptually accept the possiblity that evolution theory may be wrong is an extremely difficult task. This would not be the case if evolutionists were truely open to new evidence, or open to alternative explanations of the evidence. Their rigid allegience to the theory of evolution proves that they are indeed, inflexible dogmatists, not true scientists.

Furthermore, it is quite asinine for you to suggest that - "scentific theory does not depend on belief or dogma". You speak of "scientific theory" as if its a machine, or somekind of non-human entity. The fact is, no "Scientific theory" exists independent of *human* scientific THEOR-ISTS. Each theorist believes in certain dogmas; and for philosophical naturalists, their dogma is the belief that all events, causes, and phenomena can only have naturalistic explanations. That philosophical dogma is especially invalid regarding origin events that are not observable, repeatable, or testable. So in regards to the origin of life, universe, and consciousness - naturalistic dogma is nothing more one of many faith-beliefs.

How little is little? When we would write out all the evidence for evolution from physical theory and observation, chemistry theory and observations, biological theory and observations, geological theory and observations, including the fossils and rocks, and labaratory proof, this could fill some academic library for sure.

Actually, if evolution was so supportable by the evidence, it wouldn't require an entire academic library full of theoretical rantings and conjecture. The evidence would be so clear and concise it could be summarized in one book. Nor would it require evolution dogmatists to create vast apologetical websites designed soley for the purpose of *defending* evolution. (e.g., talkorigins.org) True scientists are just as interested in falsifying evolution as they would be in defending it.

Where is the evidence for God, on the other hand?
Show me one bit of proof that "creation" took place.

Everybody has different standards of evidence they will accept. So let me ask you - what would YOU consider to be acceptable "proof" that the universe was supernaturally created? I cannot answer your question until you answer mine.

quote:
LOL! Now you are comaparing the LAW of gravity with the *theory* of evolution. This just goes to show how deluded evolutionist thinking can get. Tell ya what.....I'll accept your comparison of evolution with gravity as soon as you demonstrate molecules-to-man evolution with an actual, testable, repeatable experiment. Until then, your idea of evolution is nothing but a naturalistic bed-time story for adults, and it should not be taught in school. I can empirically verify that the law of gravity exists by dropping an apple or any othe object. In fact, gravity can be directly observed, tested, retested, and reobserved - endlessly. It's empirical science for those reasons. However, the fairytale of molecules-to-man evolution has ZERO empirical evidence; it cannot be observed, it cannot be tested, it cannot be retested, or reobserved. It is an origins philosophy that is almost entirely built on conjecture and biased interpretations of evidences. Indeed, it is the "mental projection" of naturalist philosophers.

Zero evidence:
See my remark above about the amount of evidence.

Those remarks were useless. There is also academic libraries full of theistic literature. All that proves is that theorists like to write books. Big deal.

Not empirical:
Despite your thoughts, we have seen evolution in action, and have seen species change due to evolution. That is: within the time frame of one or a couple of generations.

Now you are just making a generic assertion without providing any details or evidential support. Furthermore, despite YOUR empty assertion, we have NEVER observed molecules-to-man evolution. We have never observed life naturally arising from non-living chemcials, nor have observed how the first cells could have possibly self-assembled or evolved from pre-cell ancestors.

The fact is, all evolutionists have done is played a subjective game of "connect-the-fossils" in their attempts to infer ancestoral lineages. But they overlook the fact that for every case of "common ancestory", the explanation of "common design" works just as well. If two different species have to perform the same or similar functions, that doesn't necessarily mean they are genetically related and evolved one from the other. It can mean that different species were designed to perform a common function, and therefore, we would expect to see morphological similarities in different species. (Like hands for grabbing, wings for flying, etc.) If a Designer saw that a certain feature worked well for performing a certain function, it's logical to assume the Designer would have re-used that design throughout different species who needed to perform that common function. Therefore, for every instance of "common ancestory", the explanation of "common design" works just as well.

If your position against evolution is that we can not observe within the time scale of a human being the development of lifeless matter to a human being, the formation of stars and galaxies, and the expansion of the universe, and for that reason call it "not scientific" then so be it. Then also geology and astronomy are "non scientific" cause they deal with even larger time frames.

No, my position is molecules-to-man evolution is an unsupported, naturalistic origin theory. It is not scientific at all. It's a PHILOSOPHICAL conjecture. The actual state of the evidence does not support the theory of evolution whatsoever. There is no proof that any such natural process actually exists, or would have a sufficient mechanism to form man out of molcules, even if given an *eternity* to operate. I can shake a bag of blender parts around for an eternity, but if the act of "shaking a bag" is an insufficient mechanism for assembling a working blender, then I could shake that silly bag around for an eternity and at no point would I ever assemble a working blender. The same principle holds true regarding the origin of life. If there is no naturalistic mechanism that can possibly be shown to be capable of evolving man out molecules, then that theory is bunk, not "scientific".

If you are satisfied with the childrens version ("God did it") above the scientific version, then I wish you good night sir!!

At this point, it is safe to assume that you wouldn't know a "scientific version" if it jumped out and bit you in the arse. To suggest that your molecules-to-man evolution, "evolution did it" theory is a "scientific" version of anything, is the epitome of naivete and nothing more than an example of naturalistic wishful-thinking.

Last edited:

heusdens

Actually, I talked to quite a few evolutionists who speak of it just as if it were a doctrine.

Evolution theory is elastic, but the evolutionists most certainly are NOT! Getting evolutionists to even conceptually accept the possiblity that evolution theory may be wrong is an extremely difficult task. This would not be the case if evolutionists were truely open to new evidence, or open to alternative explanations of the evidence. Their rigid allegience to the theory of evolution proves that they are indeed, inflexible dogmatists, not true scientists.

The only good scientists are of course the theist, that have a simple explenation for everything: "God did it".
Further questions not asked as to how God did it, with what, how long and where, are never asked.
The life of a scientists could not be simpler!

Furthermore, it is quite asinine for you to suggest that - "scentific theory does not depend on belief or dogma". You speak of "scientific theory" as if its a machine, or somekind of non-human entity. The fact is, no "Scientific theory" exists independent of *human* scientific THEOR-ISTS. Each theorist believes in certain dogmas; and for philosophical naturalists, their dogma is the belief that all events, causes, and phenomena can only have naturalistic explanations. That philosophical dogma is especially invalid regarding origin events that are not observable, repeatable, or testable. So in regards to the origin of life, universe, and consciousness - naturalistic dogma is nothing more one of many faith-beliefs.

You know, for understanding or researching ANYTHING you must assume SOMETHING. As long as you are honest, and write out your assumptions, everything is ok.

Actually, if evolution was so supportable by the evidence, it wouldn't require an entire academic library full of theoretical rantings and conjecture. The evidence would be so clear and concise it could be summarized in one book. Nor would it require evolution dogmatists to create vast apologetical websites designed soley for the purpose of *defending* evolution. (e.g., talkorigins.org) True scientists are just as interested in falsifying evolution as they would be in defending it.

Something the size of the Bible you mean??

Everybody has different standards of evidence they will accept. So let me ask you - what would YOU consider to be acceptable "proof" that the universe was supernaturally created? I cannot answer your question until you answer mine.

Evidence from observation in a test lab. Go ahead and arrange your science team for the Big Creation test.

LOL! Now you are comaparing the LAW of gravity with the *theory* of evolution. This just goes to show how deluded evolutionist thinking can get. Tell ya what.....I'll accept your comparison of evolution with gravity as soon as you demonstrate molecules-to-man evolution with an actual, testable, repeatable experiment. Until then, your idea of evolution is nothing but a naturalistic bed-time story for adults, and it should not be taught in school. I can empirically verify that the law of gravity exists by dropping an apple or any othe object. In fact, gravity can be directly observed, tested, retested, and reobserved - endlessly. It's empirical science for those reasons. However, the fairytale of molecules-to-man evolution has ZERO empirical evidence; it cannot be observed, it cannot be tested, it cannot be retested, or reobserved. It is an origins philosophy that is almost entirely built on conjecture and biased interpretations of evidences. Indeed, it is the "mental projection" of naturalist philosophers.

And can you perhaps give us some reasons for perhaps WHY we can not set up a labaratory in which we can observe molecule-to-man evolution. Has this perhaps something to do with the time frame??

Just a question...

Now you are just making a generic assertion without providing any details or evidential support. Furthermore, despite YOUR empty assertion, we have NEVER observed molecules-to-man evolution. We have never observed life naturally arising from non-living chemcials, nor have observed how the first cells could have possibly self-assembled or evolved from pre-cell ancestors.

It's a bloody shame that when the first cell were evolving, there were not yet scientists who could actually have testified this.
It must be therefore evolution is wrong!

The fact is, all evolutionists have done is played a subjective game of "connect-the-fossils" in their attempts to infer ancestoral lineages. But they overlook the fact that for every case of "common ancestory", the explanation of "common design" works just as well. If two different species have to perform the same or similar functions, that doesn't necessarily mean they are genetically related and evolved one from the other. It can mean that different species were designed to perform a common function, and therefore, we would expect to see morphological similarities in different species. (Like hands for grabbing, wings for flying, etc.) If a Designer saw that a certain feature worked well for performing a certain function, it's logical to assume the Designer would have re-used that design throughout different species who needed to perform that common function. Therefore, for every instance of "common ancestory", the explanation of "common design" works just as well.

Yes, of course the Designer theory is much better. It does not matter as that is out of the question of being testable, researchable or verifyable (will save us a LOT of work!), but it just SOUNDS SO GOOD THAT IT MUST BE TRUE.

No, my position is molecules-to-man evolution is an unsupported, naturalistic origin theory. It is not scientific at all. It's a PHILOSOPHICAL conjecture. The actual state of the evidence does not support the theory of evolution whatsoever. There is no proof that any such natural process actually exists, or would have a sufficient mechanism to form man out of molcules, even if given an *eternity* to operate. I can shake a bag of blender parts around for an eternity, but if the act of "shaking a bag" is an insufficient mechanism for assembling a working blender, then I could shake that silly bag around for an eternity and at no point would I ever assemble a working blender. The same principle holds true regarding the origin of life. If there is no naturalistic mechanism that can possibly be shown to be capable of evolving man out molecules, then that theory is bunk, not "scientific".

Of course the creation of man and nature by God is much better, because we can observe that in a labaratory. Isn't it?

At this point, it is safe to assume that you wouldn't know a "scientific version" if it jumped out and bit you in the arse. To suggest that your molecules-to-man evolution, "evolution did it" theory is a "scientific" version of anything, is the epitome of naivete and nothing more than an example of naturalistic wishful-thinking.

Let us conclude here, that all what you blame the evolution scientists here, is realy just adressable to the theists with their phantomous 'creation'.

Spartin

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
In other words, you do believe He existed -- you just don't believe the supernatural attributes that the Bible ascribes to Him. Does that about sum it up?

Basically yup

Spartin

Scrimshaw

Originally posted by heusdens
I think you use "evil" as an abstract "thing" that exists apart from and seperate from evil acts or conducts, etc. I think that is not the case. There are conditions and cirumstances in which we call something evil, but evil as such does not exist.

Yes, if atheism is true, an objective, absolute, empirical "right" and "wrong" would not exist. And any moral judgments you make are arbitrary and imaginary. I find it amusing that you atheists will not believe in an "imaginary" god, but you have no problems believing in imaginary morals! Such duplicity and hypocrisy proves that atheism is a dishonest belief system.

You can read it here

I guess you haven't figured out how futile the old "link game" is. I can shuffle off a bunch of links to. Here. Here are my links that refute your links. lol!

http://www.arn.org/docs/meyer/sm_methodological.htm
http://www.evidence.info/answers/index.html
http://www.leaderu.com/offices/billcraig/docs/ultimatequestion.html
http://www.leaderu.com/offices/billcraig/docs/creation.html

This "stuff" is known as matter. For the rest of our knowledge, we can built up everything from this concept of matter, without ever needing a concept like God.

Yes, that's the product as advertised, but when you order it, you find that it arrives damaged and useless. See below...

You are making a mistake since a "begin" to matter is prohibited by the first law, and now you want to reintroduce that again based on the second law.

Matter began to exist in the past. All the evidence points in that direction. The fact that matter could not have BEGUN by the laws of physics simply proves that it's beginning was not caused by the laws of physics, but by something OUTSIDE of the laws of physics. (a.ka., a supernatural Creator)

However, the second law of thermodynamics is applicable only to closed systems that are a finite part of the universe. The universe is obviously not something that would fit in a finite box.

Wrong. What has been observed in the large scale homogeneity and isotopes of the universe sets the critical density to less than 1, which makes it a *closed* universe, and also shows the temps to be 2.73 kelvins, less than a third of that which was "predicted" by the Big Bang theory.

Since the amount of usable energy has not totally decreased, since I witness there is a sun, I conclude that therefore the universe isn't a closed system, and the second law is not applicable to it.

Usuable energy exists in closed systems, so I don't understand your argument. The existence of the sun does not prove the universe is an open system. Just because all the usuable energy has not already dissipated does not mean the universe is an open system.

And then there is this. If you conclude in your head at some time that for your appearent lack of understanding, the universe/world is impossible and could in fact not even exist, despite the fact that it does exist, then there are only two options:

Either, we live in grand illusion, and everything we see and know about the world is unreal

Or (and that is most plausible) YOU don't understand the world correctly.

Wrong, you fallaciously left out a third option:

3) A supernatural Creator exists that has the ability to create and suspend natural laws.

Just for your information, by only offering two options and neglecting the third, you committed what is called the "Fallacy of Exclusion". Go here to learn about it:

http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/exclus.htm

Wrong. This is just your prejudice against atheism.
If you state this without proof, I am not even going to argue it with you.

Wrong? How was my statement wrong? Are you saying that atheistic morality (morality in an atheistic universe) would NOT be arbitrary? Are you saying that atheistic morality would NOT be imaginary, but real? I don't see how you can possibly call my statement wrong. If there is no God, no external source of morality, then all human ideas of morality would be arbitrary and illusory.

If Theism is so right about morality why didn't the Christian institution RESIST against the persecution of the Jews and the holocaust?

Theism and absolute morality could be true even if Christianity is not.....so you question here is inherently flawed.

They didn't resist! Some people did, and offerered their lives. AMONGST THEM ALSO ATHEISTS AND COMMUNISTS.

Absolute morality can exist regardless of whether or not it is followed by all theists and/or atheists. The argument at hand deals with the BASIS for holding a moral position. Theists have a logical basis for believing in the inherent meaning of morality, but atheists DO NOT. In an atheist universe, there would be nothing that is inherently right or wrong. Morality would have no objective basis. In an atheist universe, every moral judgment would be nothing but the whimsical, subjective by-product of each person's imagination. Therefore, you would have no right to tell someone else not to murder or rape little children. The rapists' morality that believes it is "good" to rape children would be just as *valid* as your moral that doing such is "evil". If all morals are subjective and inherently imaginary, no one has the right to tell anyone else how to behave.

Again, atheism undermines morality. It is a fact; not a prejudice.

And I am not going to discuss this further, if you call yourself a Christian then you OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED about how little efforts christians made in resising the nazi's.

I am ashamed of many humans and how they have behaved, including so-called Christians. But human behavior does not dictate the truth of a belief system. Millions of people were killed by Joseph Stalin, your fellow ATHEIST. Does that necessarily make atheism false? No. Because the truth of a belief system is not determined by the actions of individuals. But let's turn the car around now..... - are you ashamed of your murderous, atheist buddy Joseph Stalin? Hmmmm?

How many of the nations and citizins in Western-Europe where Christian? Didn't they see the danger? Why didn't they stop Hitler and Franco and Mussolini, at the time they could? Why didn't they?

It seems you like military intervention as long as the Jews were in danger, but you don't seem to mind Saddam killing millions of Iraqis??? If you were consistent with your own logic, you'd be saying that we did the right thing by intervening in Iraq and stopping the slaughter that was taking was place under Saddam's regime. Do you only favor preemptive military action when it's the Jews who are in danger?

And as a matter of fact I should add here that I come from a communist family. We were resistance fighters. We did not collaborate with the nazi's, but did our duties in fighting fascism.

Right, but you don't seem to mind Saddam's facism?

That is the rulership of this new "Roman Empire" that controls every individual news agent, and manipulates the mass media.

Wow, so you mean that the new "Roman Empire" controls the media of every single country?

Have you not seen the mass protests against this war?
Have you not seen these people telling that there is no evidence for such weapons?

Of course. It was easy to protest a war that looked preemptive. But the thing that these protesting morons failed to understand is that preemption is the only way to prevent terrorism. You can't fight terrorists in a normal method of war. Terrorists hide, and attack out the blue with no warning or consideration of fairness, or respect for civilian life. And they would love nothing more than to get their hands on WMD. Eliminating threatening regimes that would sell WMD to terrorists was the first step in fighting terrorism. Saddam's disgusting regime has been sitting there festering in the middle of a terrorist hotbed part of the world. Saddam was given 12 years to comply with the UN, and instead of complying, he gave us 12 years of lies and 17 UN resolution violations. Something had to be done to fix the problem, and the diplomatic approach had 12 years of failure proving it would not work.

And how do "we" know that? BECAUSE THE U.S. AND OTHER ALLIED NATIONS DELIVERED THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

That's even more reason why the US should have been responsible for cleaning up the mess!! If you give a child a glass of milk and the child spills it, it's your responsiblity to clean it up.

Why is it allowed for the US to have chemical, biological and nuclear weapons and not other nations?

Because we don't use them on our own people, nor have we ever used them maliciously against other nations.

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Spartin,
You are acting according to what you think is absolute.

Can you tell us what you are wrong about? What is something you know is wrong, but you believe it anyway?

Yes, if atheism is true, an objective, absolute, empirical "right" and "wrong" would not exist. And any moral judgements you make are arbitrary and imaginary. I find it amusing that you atheists will not believe in an "imaginary" god, but you have no problems believing in imaginary morals. Such duplicity and hypocrisy proves that atheism is a dishonest belief system.

Just because a skeptic denies that there exist absolute morals doesn't mean that the skeptics are amoral people.

The morals of an athiest or any other non-theist may not be absolute, but that doesn't mean that they are arbitrary or "imaginary". How can morals be "imaginary", anyway?

I believe that the morals we have in place now aren't here because they are absolute or from a higher power, but rather are morals conducive to a healthy society and thus helpful to civilized society. So, we use them to keep our communities, cities, countries, and societies running smoothly. Thus, morals may not be divine for the skeptic, but extremely important, nonetheless.

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A terrorist group is like an army, only having less guns and using different battle tactics. Or stated differently, an army is a large scale terrorist group organised by the state.

No, your definitions are wrong.

A terrorist group primarily targets women and children, and do not work under the authority of a State.

An army targets other armies, regrets accidental damage to women and children, and works under the authority of a State.

novice

Who is the stooge now?
Is Zakath on crack?

Zakath said in his 6th post:
If you guessed once, you'd be wrong. The answer is not at all. Pastor Enyart has manufactured the alleged quotation from thin air (or since this is the Internet, perhaps we should say "thin ether"). Why? Only Pastor Enyart knows why he would do such a thing.
Zakath was referring to when Bob quoted himself...."… I have previously answered that the absolute moral standard is God’s righteous nature, which is “God’s own righteous standard, "

So Zakath claims Bob never said that! Yet Bob DID in fact say just that and just where Bob said he said it in his 4th post. Don't believe me? Look for yourself in Bob's 4th post in the paragraph titled "Old Business".

I guess, when your failing as bad as Zakath is, all you can do is come up with false assertions.

Spartin

Originally posted by Yorzhik
Spartin,

Can you tell us what you are wrong about? What is something you know is wrong, but you believe it anyway?

Can you actually clarify what your point is. I am not 100 percent sure what you are stating here. Thanks

Spartin

Spartin

Originally posted by novice
Is Zakath on crack?

Zakath said in his 6th post:Zakath was referring to when Bob quoted himself...."… I have previously answered that the absolute moral standard is God’s righteous nature, which is “God’s own righteous standard, "

So Zakath claims Bob never said that! Yet Bob DID in fact say just that and just where Bob said he said it in his 4th post. Don't believe me? Look for yourself in Bob's 4th post in the paragraph titled "Old Business".

I guess, when your failing as bad as Zakath is, all you can do is come up with false assertions.

Look, it is one of the fanboys that thinks it is over before it has started. Why not just point out the misconception by Zak and leave the cheering off to the side. This is a place to discuss, not say your high school football team rules.

Spartin

heusdens

Yes, if atheism is true, an objective, absolute, empirical "right" and "wrong" would not exist. And any moral judgments you make are arbitrary and imaginary. I find it amusing that you atheists will not believe in an "imaginary" god, but you have no problems believing in imaginary morals! Such duplicity and hypocrisy proves that atheism is a dishonest belief system.

If you state that, unless you are a christian, one does not have knowledge about morals, I can tell you

that i take this as a personal insult on all those atheists and communists and others, that offered real resistance against injustice, terror, fascism and oppression, and did what they had to do, even offering their lives if they had to.

You are obviously talking to the wrong person here!

Stating that you do not believe in any morals, if they would not be based on the imaginary God, then you state in fact we should not have ANY morals at all. ABSOLUTE morality meets ABSOLUTE AMORALITY.

Is it perhaps THAT what you want to tell us? Amorality, packed as "absolute morality"?

Well, if we reseach that throughout history, your point obviously right, cause apart from a few good christians, they do obviously not do what they preach. And as a grand example of this, look into the history of the Catholic church, one of the major christian institutions, and esp. look up what the behaviour of this institution was regarding the nazi regime.

Morality is something that one needs to proof at the basis of evidence, and not on some theoretical standard. It matters only what one does, not how one thinks or bases one actions on.

I guess you haven't figured out how futile the old "link game" is. I can shuffle off a bunch of links to. Here. Here are my links that refute your links. lol!

http://www.arn.org/docs/meyer/sm_methodological.htm
http://www.evidence.info/answers/index.html
http://www.leaderu.com/offices/billcraig/docs/ultimatequestion.html
http://www.leaderu.com/offices/billcraig/docs/creation.html

I will investigate that later.

Matter began to exist in the past. All the evidence points in that direction. The fact that matter could not have BEGUN by the laws of physics simply proves that it's beginning was not caused by the laws of physics, but by something OUTSIDE of the laws of physics. (a.ka., a supernatural Creator)

There is no such thing as a "begin of matter". And you do damn well know that. Despite the popular belief in a begin of time, there never has or never can be such an event, neither is there in reality a physical theory about a begin of time.

I am working on a thread with this subject. I will give arguments as to why all of this popular beliefs in such a "begin of time" are fanasies, and not reality. You can look at it here (it's not finished by the way, I just started to explain the basics).

Look at it this way. We can form in our head all kinds of possible theoretical models, which could indicate as to what could happen.
If you worked out such a model, and if it indicates a major contradiction, to such an extent as that the world could not possible exist, you have two options:

Either, assume that the world is impossible, and does not exist. We would all live in a "grand dillusion" then.

OR, assume that somewhere, you just have made a mistake, and it's your model of reality that is impossible, not reality itself

Go figure that out for yourself!

Wrong. What has been observed in the large scale homogeneity and isotopes of the universe sets the critical density to less than 1, which makes it a *closed* universe, and also shows the temps to be 2.73 kelvins, less than a third of that which was "predicted" by the Big Bang theory.

All observations I am aware of sets the critical value of omega near to 1, and in such a range that it is realy impossible to say wether or not it is bigger, equal or less then 1.

Usuable energy exists in closed systems, so I don't understand your argument. The existence of the sun does not prove the universe is an open system. Just because all the usuable energy has not already dissipated does not mean the universe is an open system.

Tell me how large is the box you would need to have to fit the universe in, to conceive it as a closed system.

You obviously don't have an understanding as what a closed system is, since you apply models of a closed system (which are finite systems as a part of the whole, which do not have thermal interaction with the rest) to the universe, which you obviously can't do.

The term "open" or "closed" refer to the fact wether or not the system has thermal contact with that what is outside, and it always means the system is finite.

Therefore the terms "open" or "closed" loose their meaning in the contect of the universe.

A closed system is only something theoretical. In practice there are no closed systems, even when the amount of thermal interaction is unmeasurable.

The second law is built on finite systems only, and can therefore not be applied to the universe as a whole.

And it's appearent that it's a kind of misuse of science to try to proof on the basis of the second law that the first law is invalid!

If the second law would have more importance over the first law, it would have been called the first law, not the second law.

Wrong, you fallaciously left out a third option:

3) A supernatural Creator exists that has the ability to create and suspend natural laws.

Just for your information, by only offering two options and neglecting the third, you committed what is called the "Fallacy of Exclusion". Go here to learn about it:

http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/exclus.htm

That is some strange paradox. The theistic argument base themselves on physical law, to proof that physical law could not even exist! How strange!

But all that you can do, in your "proof" that the world could not exist, is just showing, that you don't actually understand in what way the world realy does exist.

It's not the world itself that is impossible, since I can state that it does exist, but it's your theistic reflections on it that don't make sense!

Wrong? How was my statement wrong? Are you saying that atheistic morality (morality in an atheistic universe) would NOT be arbitrary? Are you saying that atheistic morality would NOT be imaginary, but real? I don't see how you can possibly call my statement wrong. If there is no God, no external source of morality, then all human ideas of morality would be arbitrary and illusory.

You obviously don't have an idea as to what morality in fact is, and where it came from.

Some work for you to do then!

Theism and absolute morality could be true even if Christianity is not.....so you question here is inherently flawed.

I see no way in which they could be true.

Absolute morality can exist regardless of whether or not it is followed by all theists and/or atheists. The argument at hand deals with the BASIS for holding a moral position. Theists have a logical basis for believing in the inherent meaning of morality, but atheists DO NOT. In an atheist universe, there would be nothing that is inherently right or wrong. Morality would have no objective basis. In an atheist universe, every moral judgment would be nothing but the whimsical, subjective by-product of each person's imagination. Therefore, you would have no right to tell someone else not to murder or rape little children. The rapists' morality that believes it is "good" to rape children would be just as *valid* as your moral that doing such is "evil". If all morals are subjective and inherently imaginary, no one has the right to tell anyone else how to behave.

Morality does not exist apart from and outside of real events, circumstances and real people.
Besided morality is also usable for other species. Also animals have codes and standards for behaviour, in which certain things are "wrong" or "right".
I have not seen any ape or lion testify that they have such moral codes from God, or have any awareness about God.
Which makes your story a phantasy.

Again, atheism undermines morality. It is a fact; not a prejudice.

This is taken as an INSULT.

You will hear more from this, I am not finished with you!

I am ashamed of many humans and how they have behaved, including so-called Christians. But human behavior does not dictate the truth of a belief system. Millions of people were killed by Joseph Stalin, your fellow ATHEIST. Does that necessarily make atheism false? No. Because the truth of a belief system is not determined by the actions of individuals. But let's turn the car around now..... - are you ashamed of your murderous, atheist buddy Joseph Stalin? Hmmmm?

No, not in the way as you depict this.
What is something else, is that I can confirm that in the early period of the Soviet-Union misjudgements were certainly made, and innocent people have been murdered. That is a tragic fact.
It was noone less but Stalin himself, who corrected this, and put the murderers for trial.
And a further remark on this, is that if you want to make any judgements on this, you realy need to do historic research to find out what actually happened or did not happen. The current adopted belief that 'Stalin was all wrong' is not a historic judgement itself, but is very politicaly inspired, and widely spread.

It seems you like military intervention as long as the Jews were in danger, but you don't seem to mind Saddam killing millions of Iraqis??? If you were consistent with your own logic, you'd be saying that we did the right thing by intervening in Iraq and stopping the slaughter that was taking was place under Saddam's regime. Do you only favor preemptive military action when it's the Jews who are in danger?

I am not pro-Jewish or anti-Jewish, and of course saving an oppressed group is something right to do, which would indicate in the present situation that the oppression of Palestines and occupation of their land and rights should be ended.

As to the principle, I can call on more occasions in which this should be used, it should have been used already when the Franco fasicst dictatorship took over in Spain, which was the start of World War II, but the western nations would not want to make a deal with Stalin at that time.

And to confront you with arguments to the contrary, the way the western governments have dealed with the issue of Yugoslavia, in which Germany pro-actively mixed into internal affairs there (acknowledging Croatia, for example) was one of the reasons a civil ware broke out there. Hadn't they not done that, perhaps this would have determined the conflict in a less bloodily way.

Right, but you don't seem to mind Saddam's facism?

Did the US mind that Saddam went into a war with Iran?
No, they didn't.

It just shows that this argument is purely hypocritical.

Wow, so you mean that the new "Roman Empire" controls the media of every single country?

They undoubtly do. Go count the number of press-agencies for instance. It shows that only a small amount of press-agencies

Of course. It was easy to protest a war that looked preemptive. But the thing that these protesting morons failed to understand is that preemption is the only way to prevent terrorism. You can't fight terrorists in a normal method of war. Terrorists hide, and attack out the blue with no warning or consideration of fairness, or respect for civilian life. And they would love nothing more than to get their hands on WMD. Eliminating threatening regimes that would sell WMD to terrorists was the first step in fighting terrorism. Saddam's disgusting regime has been sitting there festering in the middle of a terrorist hotbed part of the world. Saddam was given 12 years to comply with the UN, and instead of complying, he gave us 12 years of lies and 17 UN resolution violations. Something had to be done to fix the problem, and the diplomatic approach had 12 years of failure proving it would not work.

Terrorism as in sponsoring terrorist attacks on Cuba, promoting hijacking planes and boats and taking hostages, assacination attempts on the Cuban leader, invasion attempts, etc.

And that form of terrorism is promoted, sponsored, financed and stimulated by the US.

Besides the Iraqi regime has been accused of having sponsored or armed Al Quada, but none of those links were ever proved.

The link between "terrorism" and the Irawi regime, like also the weapons of mass destruction (not yet found) and buying of uraniium, were all false claims.

it shows that the mass public opinion has been fooled completely!

That's even more reason why the US should have been responsible for cleaning up the mess!! If you give a child a glass of milk and the child spills it, it's your responsiblity to clean it up.

And what is the misuse of weapons during the 12 years after the first Gulf war by the Iraqi regime?

Tell me.

Because we don't use them on our own people, nor have we ever used them maliciously against other nations.

You claim here that the US has the moral right to have and use niuclear weapons and other weapons of mass-destruction, while other nations and countries don't have that right.

About malicious use of weapons, let us dig up some history for you.
- Hiroshima and Nagasaki. (the war would have been ended even despite that, it only shortened the war, at the cost of hundred thousands of innocent citizins!)
- Napalm used on large scale in Vietnam
- usage of low radioactive uranium granates in 1-st Gulf war and in Yugoslavia
- CIA backed up coup of Pinochet against Allende
- CIA coup attempt against the legal president of Venezuala

etc. etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.