Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightSon

Originally posted by heusdens
The truth of that particular declared truth is like any other declared truths dependend solely on facts, wether known or unknown, which are independend of that or any other particular declared truth, in the same way as in a declared truth statement that "it rains outside" the truth of that is solely dependend on facts that are not dependend on that or any other particular declared truth, but solely on the fact wether or not it in fact rains.

I agree.

JanowJ

Originally posted by Zakath
Are you a Christian?

If so, where do you think the little children killed by suicide bombers end up, in hell?

Zakath,
I thought that you were claiming that Christians would engage in suicide bombing. Thus the reason for my question/statement. Sorry if I misunderstood your ccomment.

Spartin

Originally posted by Nineveh
Spartin,

From an earlier post, you claim you (basically) have never sinned. That you are a "good" guy. You do not (yet) recognize your need for a Savior. Jesus, whom you do not even believe existed, walked among His people, they too did not believe He existed. Christians 2000 years later stake their entire eternity on the very fact. What is the difference? A repentant, contrite, submissive, humble heart. But to answer your question, yes, if you die in your sin, you will go to hell. God has given you a free gift, it is up to you to decide to accept or reject it.

I do not know if this will give you any understanding or not, but you say "being wrong about one thing". I can not begin to express the gravity of that one statement. According to Scripture, Jesus is what holds the universe together, He is the One whom through all things were made in the beginning. If you stop to think about that for a second, "what if" this guy is who He says He is. This eternal omnipotent being, who created a universe so big modern day astronomy can only glimps it's outer reaches in tiny "keyhole" bits at a time, came down to His creation (earth) for the sole purpose of dying at the hands of His creatures. The level of submission *that* took is way greater than what it took for me to read His Word and investigate His claims. Even on the outside chance it could be true, doesn't such an act deserve a little time and effort to investigate?

May I ask you, have you ever sat down with Scripture with no other intention than to understand or try to grasp what these Christians are going on about?

I have read alot of things from the Bible. I am no expert on the situation for sure, but I have seen my fair share of the book on a number of occasions. I just believe that the book was written by men for men. I never looked through the book to refute it, I took it at face value for a number of years. Later on, I looked at it as literature and nothing more. I believe there is something out there, just not in the fashion that Christians believe in it. In my humble opinion, there is no way we can comprehend it at all. The bible imho is just a book to offer comfort to the fact that we will never will. If Christians turn out to be right, well I guess I am going to have to spend eternity in a fairly bad place. I don't think that is the case however.

Spartin

Spartin

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack

That's not true. What most people are referring to when they speak of having an open mind is actually a willingness to believe anything they hear. I'm far too skeptical for that.

Come on, the atheists on this forum aren't looking to build on anything I have to say -- they'd much rather tear it down.

I don't believe even a quarter of what I hear. I still have the ability to look at someone elses arguement/position and say "Yes I understand why you feel that way, but I think you are wrong" There is a difference between skepticisim and empathy. As far as atheists tearing down the house. You shouldn't really care what they will say if your faith is a tough as you think it is. It shouldn't bother you what they have to say. You are battling with the truth (in your opinion) so you shouldn't be afraid of what they say anyway.

Spartin

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by JanowJ
Zakath,
I thought that you were claiming that Christians would engage in suicide bombing. Thus the reason for my question/statement. Sorry if I misunderstood your ccomment.
Glad we cleared up the misunderstanding.

Christians don't favor suicide bombs, they prefer car bombs, ala the IRA.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Spartin,

You aught to read it one day, you might be supprised what is and is not in it, and even a little suprised at how easy it is to understand and follow:)

JanowJ

Originally posted by Zakath
Glad we cleared up the misunderstanding.

Christians don't favor suicide bombs, they prefer car bombs, ala the IRA.

Zakath, that was a low blow. The only thing I will say is this: a terrorist is a terrorist is a terrorist (whether claiming to be a Muslem or a Christian). Terrorists should never be negotiated with, whether it's the IRA in Ireland; Islamic Jihad, Hamas or Al Queda in the Middle East. And the right-wing conservative Christians respond the same to each of them: don't negotiate with them. And if they didn't blow themselves up, then they should be caught and executed. That is a Christian response to terrorism.
Finally, the IRA is a political group not a Christian one.

fiendishjester

BANNED
Banned
Why is there no Foucault in this debate!? There needs to be more Foucault! It would help so much on the truth topic, let alone the morals topic. I would started with Foucault, then gone to nietzsche. Maybe you could have said I believe in truth, just not transcendant truth, so, truth is njust a battle of knowledge (Foucaut). If things keep going as they are, then it will end up in a deadlock, "well, just because we don't know what the fourth option is doesn't prove that the god option is right" and it will end up in favor of god cause that's at least and option we know, I think more offense on Zakath's side is needed. Albeit you probably have a life, all of your respoonses should be longer, I think you sorta wasted your third response (I think it was #3, i dunno, the short one). Well, that's my veiwpoint.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Zakath, that was a low blow.
It's a "low" subject.

The only thing I will say is this: a terrorist is a terrorist is a terrorist (whether claiming to be a Muslem or a Christian). Terrorists should never be negotiated with, whether it's the IRA in Ireland; Islamic Jihad, Hamas or Al Queda in the Middle East.
We agree on this. :D

And the right-wing conservative Christians respond the same to each of them: don't negotiate with them. And if they didn't blow themselves up, then they should be caught and executed. That is a Christian response to terrorism.
This transcends religion. I think many atheists, including me, would agree with such a response.

Is it Christian???
...August 15, 2002, will be the fourth anniversary of the worst terrorist attack in over 30 years. In Omagh, 500 pounds of explosives shattered the downtown, killing 29 people and injuring over 100, including children and tourists. Even today, no one has been arrested. The anniversary was marked by riots in Londonderry as Catholic protestors hurled Molotov cocktails at police to express anger at the fact that Protestants had been granted permission to march in memorial of some ancient and forgettable battle... from "Chrstianity and Violence: Northern Ireland"

...The IRA polices areas the English are too afraid to enter. They protect the common citizen from sex offenders, thieves, joy riders and other petty criminals who exhibit detrimental behavior that threatens the fabric of Irish life. The IRA protects the individual Catholic and the rights of all the Irish in the North. Their actions are not out of blood lust, they fight to bring about democracy, justice and freedom the freedom denied their people for centuries... Katie Sullivan Irish Republican Army: Heroes Unifying a Nation

Is it terrorist? Not according to the Bush administration...

Is the IRA a terrorist group?
Not anymore, according to the State Department, which considered the IRA to be a terrorist organization as late as 2000. In July 2002, on the 30th anniversary of the 1972 “Bloody Friday” bombings, the IRA startled its sympathizers and enemies alike by offering “sincere apologies and condolences” to the families of its civilian victims. The IRA does still consider itself an armed force opposing an illegal foreign occupation of its country; jailed members called themselves “political prisoners.” And two IRA splinter groups, the Real IRA and the Continuity IRA, still practice terrorism. Council on Foreign Relations Terrorism Q&A 2003.

PureX

I don't know. I think Bob has run out of argument. He seems to be sliding more and more into the "my proof is that I say so" mode. What is his evidence of absolute right and wrong? ... It's the absolute nature of his God ... can't argue with that ... because he says it's so, it must be so. What is his response to the God of the gaps accusation? It's "Well, science doesn't know either!" This hardly adds credibility to his God of the gaps, though.

Now he appears to be wandering off into the land of Christian pseudoscience which will be a virtual orgy of perverted science, fantasy, and propaghanda, I'm sure. Lots of nonsense hiding behind big important sounding terminology meant to impress the ignorant. And I'm sure they will be duly impressed. *sigh*

heusdens

Zakath, that was a low blow. The only thing I will say is this: a terrorist is a terrorist is a terrorist (whether claiming to be a Muslem or a Christian). Terrorists should never be negotiated with, whether it's the IRA in Ireland; Islamic Jihad, Hamas or Al Queda in the Middle East. And the right-wing conservative Christians respond the same to each of them: don't negotiate with them. And if they didn't blow themselves up, then they should be caught and executed. That is a Christian response to terrorism.

A terrorist group is like an army, only having less guns and using different battle tactics. Or stated differently, an army is a large scale terrorist group organised by the state.

The attack on Iraq was a form of large scale terrorism.

We should abolish and condemn all forms of terrorism, esp. the large scale ones.

DEVO

Documenting mans devolution
Originally posted by heusdens
A terrorist group is like an army, only having less guns and using different battle tactics. Or stated differently, an army is a large scale terrorist group organised by the state.

The attack on Iraq was a form of large scale terrorism.

We should abolish and condemn all forms of terrorism, esp. the large scale ones.
Do you ever think before you post?

Ahem....

Let's say for sake of argument we agree that we should abolish all armies as you assert.

Now... how does one go about abolishing the army of another country which doesn't WANT to abolish their army?

DEVO

Documenting mans devolution
Originally posted by PureX
I don't know. I think Bob has run out of argument. He seems to be sliding more and more into the "my proof is that I say so" mode. What is his evidence of absolute right and wrong? ... It's the absolute nature of his God ... can't argue with that ... because he says it's so, it must be so. What is his response to the God of the gaps accusation? It's "Well, science doesn't know either!" This hardly adds credibility to his God of the gaps, though.

Now he appears to be wandering off into the land of Christian pseudoscience which will be a virtual orgy of perverted science, fantasy, and propaghanda, I'm sure. Lots of nonsense hiding behind big important sounding terminology meant to impress the ignorant. And I'm sure they will be duly impressed. *sigh*
Could you be a little more specific in your criticism?

I couldn't find a shred in your post that had any merit but maybe if you were more specific we could get to the heart of the matter.

fiendishjester

BANNED
Banned
We still need Foucault! I say more Foucault, lol. Have you noticed that Bob writes so much more than Zakath, like he has something more to lose ifhe loses the debate. I think that when they started off on the subject saying how it's an important thing to debate because so much effort iswasted if god doesn't exist, then Bob said, it would be so much effort wasted if god didn't exist, somehow I think there is more lost effort and causes on the believing side.

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by Spartin
I don't believe even a quarter of what I hear.

I don't either.

I still have the ability to look at someone elses arguement/position and say "Yes I understand why you feel that way, but I think you are wrong"

So do I.

There is a difference between skepticisim and empathy.

I know that. I never equated the two.

As far as atheists tearing down the house. You shouldn't really care what they will say if your faith is a tough as you think it is. It shouldn't bother you what they have to say. You are battling with the truth (in your opinion) so you shouldn't be afraid of what they say anyway.

I'm not.

SOTKForEver

I am agnostic. I don't believe the Bible is factual. I believe in alot of the lessons that the bible teaches. I just don't think that it is correct. I basically live my life according to the bibles rules. I try not to lie, I don't steal kill do the adultery thing. I accept people for who they are. I enjoy the world around me. I am not a bad person. I am not spiteful or rude (I could name a couple of the bible ppl in here as that). I don't even have the urge to even hurt anyone. I volunteer my time to help others. Now according to One eyed, I am still not bound for heaven even though I have lived my life according to the major laws of the bible. I have to believe in the Cristian god in order for eternal salvation. Doesn't that strike you as a little harsh? A murderer confesses just before he gets the chair and starts to believe in the faith of god. He gets in. I would murder nobody and I would be out of luck. I would act with honor honesty all my life and be burning in hell for the rest of eternity for a just and forgiving god. Just because I didn't believe in a book of words. That is petty. According to Jack Jesus is the ONLY way.

Spartin,

First of all, I appreciate your honesty and sincerity. I have read some of your other posts than this.

If you are an Agnostic, than you must believe in some form of a Higher Power. In other words, you probably feel that the universe was created a supreme being and also probably feel that this supreme being created man as well. So basically, you don't conform to any one religion on the planet and choose to form an image of this higher power into your own making. Am I off the mark? If I am, please let me know. When I was an Agnostic, this was how I felt.

A lot of what the Bible states was hard for me to swallow growing up. I also felt the Bible to be just a book; a book that was meant to make people feel comfortable about their current lives as well as their afterlife. I also felt that I was a pretty good guy. I had a serious problem with people as well as the Bible telling me that I had to believe something and admit to something in order for me to be accepted into heaven. So, I chose to believe that this supreme being, whoever or whatever he was, was not nearly as harsh as the Bible and Christians made Him out to be.

I changed my mind, obviously, about these beliefs when I learned the truth about God. I learned the truth after He helped me with something. What I came to realize about myself is that I was guilty of being arrogant by thinking I knew God's (the supreme being) mind. I mean, I am obviously not a supreme being. My knowledge is limited to earthly things and my emotions as well are earthly. The supreme being, who I now choose to believe is God or Jesus Christ, is tremendously above me and my petty thoughts. Who am I to claim what God is all about? Who am I to questions his motives and plans? After all, he is Supreme. He made the universe, he made the earth, and he made man.

After coming to this realization, I also realized that God does love me and wishes for me to be saved. He wishes to have communion with me. However, in order for this to happen, I need to accept His son, who he sent to pave the way for his children to have communion with him again. We lost this communion with the original sin. Since God gave us freewill after this, we can choose to believe in His son or not. Again, God wishes for all men to be saved. Remember, humans are ones who screw up and not God. It is up to us to make amends for our sins. We do that by accetping the awesome gift of Jesus and asking for forgiveness. I suddenly realized what a tremendous gift God gave. I stopped looking at the "harshness" of this choice and realized it was a gift because there was no way for man to repair the damage which was done and still is done to this relationship with God. Jesus was and is the only way.

Also, if you are willing to believe in some form of a higher power, isn't it safe to assume that He or It is tremendously more powerful than you and I are? I mean, sheesh, he made the universe. What I am getting at here is that common sense would dictate that we should be obdient to this higher power just as a child should respect the parents as an authority figure. It's ok to fear God. We should fear Him. Fear motivates me to be accountable for my actions and behaviors; to take ownership for these behaviors and ask for forgiveness. I think I am a "good guy" for the most part but I still screw up quite a bit. I am very far from being perfect. So, if God says I should do something, or not do something, or to believe that the things He says as being exactly what he means, than I better do it. Just because I am a Christian and know that I am going to heaven, doesn't mean that I am not accountable to God for the things I've done while on earth.

So, Spartin, to answer your question, "Will I go to hell for not believing what Christians believe eventhough I am a good guy?", yes, you will unfortunately. We have all been told what Jesus said and we should all know why he existed. We have the choice to believe in this or not. Remember, God wants everyone to be saved but you are going to have to believe in His son and be obedient to Him if you want to have communion with Him.

Sorry, I know I got on my soap box but I hope I wrote something that may be of use to you.

Sincerely,

SOTKForever

ZroKewl

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by SOTKForEver
If you are an Agnostic, than you must believe in some form of a Higher Power. ... When I was an Agnostic, this was how I felt.
That is not an Agnostic. An agnostic is someone who lacks knowledge of any deities. They do not know whether or not any deities exist. On one side, an agnostic is a searcher -- continuing to look for enough evidence in a deity. They could spend lots of time trying to do just that. However, on the other side, an agnostic might believe that there is no way anyone could ever have sufficient knowledge to know that a deity exists. The latter agnostic does not spend time searching for something he sees as fruitless.

From the sound of it, you would have been a "deist" -- you believe in some form of deity -- a god -- but did not have firm beliefs in what or who it was.

--ZK

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
...Jesus (who I don't believe ever lived)...
Spartin, this strikes me as irrational. How did you come to this conclusion? Even the most anti-Christ historians recognize that Jesus lived.

Aussie Thinker

BANNED
Banned
Fiendishjester..

Bob has to write more because if he put his arguments in simple form they would look ridiculous.

Here are very simplified versions of Bobs arguments.

1. Because consciousness exists it must have had a creator (but the creator itself is not bound by the same rule)
2. Things like logical laws or absolutes cannot exist without a God (but a god who uses them can)
3. Science can never answer certain questions therefore the answer to those question is God !

Broken down and simple they look very lame don’t they ?

SOTK,

Do you understand how offensive and arrogant it is to condemn 70 % of the worlds population to hell for not “knowing” Jesus. If there was a God who would do such a thing he is worse than the worst of human tyrants who ever lived.. but then I guess back in Noahs day he didn’t hesitate to destroy every man woman and innocent child on the planet.. Of all the fantasy Gods man has come up with.. how can you (or why would you want to) swallow that one !

Status
Not open for further replies.