Atheists, do you hope you're right?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[You do not care about an ultimate justice? 2 Thess 1:9]

"I accept that life is basically unfair..."
Not asking if you believe life is unfair. Asking if you hope you are right that there is no God and therefore no reckoning in the afterlife (Isa 58:19).

"...and doesn't really last too long and then that's the end, nothing more."
Not asking if you believe there is something more after death (Heb 9:27). Asking if you hope that you are right and that there are no consequences for the actions of evil men (Ro 8:7).

"I suggest however that we deal with this, the one life that we know we have, including the correction and prevention of injustice as best we can, while we can."
Not seeking your political suggestions. Asking if you hope that you are right that God will not avenge (Ro 12:19).

"Imo claims of a supposed "ultimate justice" is perhaps religion's biggest lie and dirty trick."
Not asking if you believe it's a lie. Asking if you hope it is a lie.

365e29bda0d7813e96a2601d6f8c2b25.jpg

alwight

Not asking if you believe life is unfair. Asking if you hope you are right that there is no God and therefore no reckoning in the afterlife (Isa 58:19).

Not asking if you believe there is something more after death (Heb 9:27). Asking if you hope that you are right and that there are no consequences for the actions of evil men (Ro 8:7).

Not seeking your political suggestions. Asking if you hope that you are right that God will not avenge (Ro 12:19).

Not asking if you believe it's a lie. Asking if you hope it is a lie.

365e29bda0d7813e96a2601d6f8c2b25.jpg
I think I did make it reasonably clear that I don't believe that there even can be such a thing as an afterlife "ultimate justice" based on this life, let alone hope for it, since what happens during this single lifetime measured against a supposed infinity and its unknowable possibilities is a false and invalid comparison.

Of course I would like justice done, but the injustices of this lifetime can only be genuinely assessed and compensated for during this lifetime in my view, given the particular circumstances that individuals have found themselves to be in.
For example I really don't know that anyone can be ultimately or eternally culpable if they happen to be, or become, mentally ill or psychotic.
We are all born with unique attributes on a very uneven playing field to which imo cannot be held eternally responsible for.

In an unknown and supposedly infinite life beyond this one I really don't have any idea what an "ultimate justice" would or could be, let alone decide if I hoped for it or not. Our view is rather restricted to this one mortal life alone.

However I hope for justice in this life and will not be not fobbed off with the lies and platitudes of those who in effect appease and perpetuate the injustices of this life but have no more knowledge of anything beyond it than I do. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It seems rather strange to me anyway that anyone could have an actual one to one relationship with a godly being that seems so depended so much on one's own needs and desires, rather than in that being having a completely separate identity.
I don't think it should, given how we process and relate to anything in life. It's within the nature of the limited and imperfect, though the end of that relation is to be more in tune with the perfect and unlimited...in a way it's a parallel with Buddhist aspirations, which is why I suppose Merton sought a dialogue with them.

It seems more about what goes on in the individual own mind than anything based on a more factual reality that we can all observe.
All that really demonstrates is the Western reliance on the empirical, which we have to understand isn't the sum of and may only in fact be a reflection of what is.

Which is perhaps why there is never likely to be a religious consensus anytime soon?
I think the absence of consensus on God is mostly about pouring the perfect through the imperfect. I'm more surprised at how much we all agree upon.

If life is a journey then some of us will no doubt often change our minds along the way based on different times perceptions and circumstances. Where that might leave us in a search for an ultimate truth I wouldn't like to say.
Well, the only real journey has a destination. Else, you might as well be whirling. But as I believe in a purposed passage through the strictures of time and space, I take comfort in the notion that those who might be described as moving randomly may only be warming their muscles. :)

Sadly however we don't get to choose our own reality, we have to deal with what we got.
This isn't about choosing reality, but the context for the experience of it. And that is absolutely your choice.

I think that trying to believe it is something else may help some to function more smoothly but personally that doesn't really work for me.
Faith isn't something you "try" to believe or you're doing it wrong. It's the acceptance of a premise, a context, a frame, a point of reference. It isn't an effort and people who make it into one have chosen a peculiar ongoing series of choices instead.

Horrible notion, to my mind.

Religions exist to be attractive and to give life a supposed meaning, hope and a blueprint
That's one context. Here's another, religion exists as a purposed, joyful celebration of existence in recognition of the root and foundation of it. That's the blueprint. Following it is as simple as the Golden rule, awakening to the presence of God and seeing where that journey takes you.

, so who in their right mind would ever choose atheism, all things being equal, when your local friendly religious belief can take away all the pain and worry for you? :think:
Whoever told you that? You'll stump your toe, get irritating head colds, long and suffer the same way anyone does. Religion isn't a protection from, but an understanding of. Worry? It's useless for the most part, with or without God, but harder to hold onto with Him.

Unless the actual hard truth, warts and all, has some value maybe?
Well, we can't know what that is in the way an empiricist means it, only bits and pieces and speculation on the larger, to the extent that even has meaning.

But what if there's more to be had and a way to even make what is already apparent something greater and imbued with meaning? And what if the having is as simple as a contextual choice that robs us of literally nothing in the choosing except limitation in the name of a thing that cannot be demonstrated either?

Bon voyage, al. :cheers:

Hedshaker

Do you discount what Christ has done personally for many alive today? I have zero doubts about what the truth is.

You agreed we have a moral compass. Mine told me I was not good. It told me evil exists and was all around. And through my life until I was 33 I ignored the good leadings in my heart all too often. My shame weighing me down like a lead anvil at the bottom of the sea. At the same time lonliness, despair of life was flat out depressing! And through my thought that I should be able to fully understand God and why He did everything and How on my own accord with science and my own mind left me doing nothing but chasing my tail. Round and round and round I went....
And How He broke through to my heart was Him saying to me... "You know evil is real so stop ignoring that goodness is real, that I am real. Stop ignoring me. And BTW if you think you will ever figure everything out about me, that thought, your pride will only keep you from me."

He convinced me to take a step in trust, in faith. He did not disappoint. The burdens of shame were gone, I felt His love that nothing or noone can compare too. His Spiritual good presence can not be described in words, nothing could ever compare.

I do not discount science. I see how it backs up His existence. But science can not go to His realm quite possibly in another dimension pyscicists have hypothesized about, but none the less beyond this universe and yet the power that is every atom that holds every atom together. Science will not disprove or prove. Our hearts do. His presence does. I know He is true. I have experienced Him. You can call me whatever you like. But I am unequivocally testifying to the truth!

What other possible good reason could a God create life for other than personal relational Fatherly love. That is what God's word says He is; love. Many can testify to that truth.

Yeah I get it. You're obsessively under the spell of your religion and you think your god is the one true, and real God. Good for you. Doesn't make it true though. There are other's, just as fanatical as you who feel the same about their religion and their god. You can't all be right but you can all be wrong. From the outside looking in it sure doesn't looks like any of you are right.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Yeah I get it. You're obsessively under the spell of your religion and you think your god is the one true, and real God. Good for you. Doesn't make it true though. There are other's, just as fanatical as you who feel the same about their religion and their god. You can't all be right but you can all be wrong. From the outside looking in it sure doesn't looks like any of you are right.

what kind of God would look right to you?

alwight

But what if there's more to be had and a way to even make what is already apparent something greater and imbued with meaning? And what if the having is as simple as a contextual choice that robs us of literally nothing in the choosing except limitation in the name of a thing that cannot be demonstrated either?

Bon voyage, al. :cheers:
For me TH real meaning is something that can be shared with others within, yes :yawn:, a common physical demonstrable framework of empirical evidence rather than just by those who agree to abide by a common doctrine or format of belief.
:e4e:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I couldn't begin to imagine. I don't feel inclined to concern myself with such questions any more than I would search the end of a rainbow for a pot of gold.

I wouldn't. It would feel a bit like looking for hairs on the palm of my hand, or the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

he keeps changing his post

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I couldn't begin to imagine. I don't feel inclined to concern myself with such questions any more than I would search the end of a rainbow for a pot of gold.

which one do you like the best?

I wouldn't. It would feel a bit like looking for hairs on the palm of my hand, or the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

I couldn't begin to imagine. I don't concern my self with such absurd questions.

Hedshaker

which one do you like the best?

I couldn't begin to imagine. I don't concern my self with such absurd questions.

Your original query was:

Originally Posted by chrysostom View Post
what kind of God would look right to you?

But I inadvertently read it as:

"What kind of God would you look for"

So once I realised my error I had to redo my answer, which took a while to get right.

It's been a long day.....:(

Hedshaker

let's try this again

why does it look like none of us are right?

As you don't appear to agree on much among yourselves, how do you expect to persuade sceptics that your beliefs are true?

if
you don't have any idea what God should look like

Does anyone have any idea what a real God should look like? Having a religious belief, or a faith, and having an actual God are two entirely different things. And that's just one religion out of many. Yet, every last one of them is the one true god, the one true religion, the one true church.

Pretty soon there will be more denominations than there are churches.

exminister

You expect to get to your destination safely. If your pilot misguides you, your expectation is not met. If you take an aspirin for a headache you have faith that it is not arsenic. If you are right, no more headache. If you are wrong, you're dead. Who or what you put your faith in matters.

If everything is contrary to it to your mind, you're not a Christian (Heb 11:1) and you just so happen to identify as a Leftist here (Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10, Mt 25:41).

His friends had bad theology (Jb 4:1–8; 8:1–6; 11:1–20) and his wife was evil (Jb 2:9).

Job's loser :loser: for a wife said that (Job 2:9).

What do you mean in spite of? :dizzy: Jb 42:8 He was a man of faith (Jb 19:23–27). He humbled himself before the Lord (Job 42:1–6) though not given all answers.
Why do you dilute the meaning of faith with such triviality. Job appeared cursed not blessed. True faith saw through that. If my car continuously failed to start I would quickly lose your weak definition of "faith" in it. I would get another car. Job, Abraham, David, Jesus did not have your kind of "faith".

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"I think I did make it reasonably clear that I don't believe that there even can be such a thing as an afterlife "ultimate justice" based on this life, let alone hope for it..."
Not asking what you believe. Asking if you hope you are right.

"...ince what happens during this single lifetime measured against a supposed infinity and its unknowable possibilities is a false and invalid comparison."
If the bible is true then this life (Jas 4:14) and its sufferings are not worthy to be compared to the glory which shall be revealed in us (Ro 8:18). We suffer (2 Co 11:23-28) but not like those who have no hope (1 Th 4:13).

"Of course I would like justice done but the injustices of this lifetime can only be genuinely assessed and compensated for during this lifetime in my view..."
Your truth claim. Not asking for your truth claim. Asking for your hope claim.

"I hope for justice in this life..."
That hasn't happen and won't happen. Man cannot rule and reign. The kingdom is coming (Re 20-21).

See:

The Coming Earthly Kingdom of the Lord Jesus Christ, Part 1 Revelation 20 by John MacArthur

"For example I really don't know that anyone can be ultimately or eternally culpable if they happen to be, or become, mentally ill or psychotic."
Men are not judged by what they don't know. They are judged by what they do know (Jn 9:39-41, 15:22, 24, Mt 11:20-24). "Not only is he judged for the disease; he is also judged that he refused the cure." ~ Adrian Rogers

"In an unknown and supposedly infinite life beyond this one I really don't have any idea what an "ultimate justice" would or could be..."
Ro 2:15

"...let alone decide if I hoped for it or not."
You are free to say I refuse to answer.

"Our view is rather restricted to this one mortal life alone."
Ro 1:18

"... will not be not fobbed off with the lies and platitudes of those who in effect appease and perpetuate the injustices of this life but have no more knowledge of anything beyond it than I do."
Pr 9:10

When we are in control (Prov. 29:2) you are perturbed (Ro 8:7). You'll tolerate no encroachment on your idolatry (Jn 3:19).

Last edited:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"Why do you dilute the meaning of faith with such triviality."
The atheist claims he has no faith. He's got just as much faith as I do. He has faith that God does not exists and that this is all there is. I have faith that God does exists and that there is more after this life.

"Job appeared cursed not blessed."
Job was a legalist. He believed he was a good person. God set him straight (Job 38–41).
"True faith saw through that."
He had said to his dimwit wife: Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity? Jb 2:10. In general, if one lives a godly life he can expect good things but that is not always the case and we don't always understand why. He never got answers. He had faith anyway (Jb 19:23–27).
"If my car continuously failed to start I would quickly lose your weak definition of "faith" in it. I would get another car."
That's what God-haters do. Their slot machine god didn't come through for them so they're finished with him. They pulled the handle and no money came out, no attractive spouse came out, no job or house or white picket fence came out.
"Job, Abraham, David, Jesus did not have your kind of "faith"."
Tell me all about my faith. Jn 8:56, Ro 8:33

1386-0908-1916-4637.jpg

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
For me TH real meaning is something that can be shared with others within, yes :yawn:, a common physical demonstrable framework of empirical evidence rather than just by those who agree to abide by a common doctrine or format of belief.
:e4e:
I'd say we all have the former by experience but that it isn't a context, only the recognition of process.

As to the latter, you're speaking to something I didn't suggest for you. Not at this point anyway. :eek: You don't start a marathon at the tape.

Last edited: