Atheists, do you hope you're right?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Not do you think you're right--do you hope that you are right that there is no God and therefore no ultimate justice in the afterlife?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Not do you think you're right--do you hope that you are right that there is no God and therefore no ultimate justice in the afterlife?

I'm glad you used the word hope
they don't use that word
there is no hope for them
just ask them
do they want God to exist?
and
watch them run for cover
they don't want to answer that question

Hedshaker

I guess we're in the same boat as you if you've been worshipping the wrong god, which is plausible given that the evidence for all the gods is exactly the same, none at all. :juggle:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I guess we're in the same boat as you if you've been worshipping the wrong god, which is plausible given that the evidence for all the gods is exactly the same, none at all. :juggle:

An atheist on his program did the same. He simply answered I'm right but that wasn't the question. The question is not: Are you right? The question is: Do you hope you are right? :sleep:

Tyrathca

The problem is it is a dumb question, not only because what we want is irrelevant to what is true but also because there isn't a single version of good to accept or reject. So do I hope of I'm right of there is no God? Depends on the god, a kind and benign one or an aloof and disinterested one maybe is like to be wrong. However most versions describe a petty and vindictive (if not downright cruel) God in which case I hope I am right.

flintstoned

Well, first of all, as an atheist, I simply have not been convinced to believe in any god. That doesn't mean that I am claiming that gods do not in fact exist. How should I know? For all I know, there could be hundreds out there! I just have not had any personal experience of any god or have seen any convincing evidence yet to believe in any particular god.

I don't know about you, but my beliefs are the result of being convinced (by evidence/experience) of something's truth. I cannot choose to believe in the existence of something based on fear, or even based on my wants/desires. Heck, there are some things that I believe in that I would rather not believe, but have no choice based on the overwhelming evidence.

Even if someone were to offer me 10 million dollars to believe that I was a porcupine, for example, I couldn't make myself actually believe. Would I want to believe it? Heck yeah! Could I “try” to believe? Yes! Could I pretend to believe it? Sure! But would I actually believe it? No. Like I said before, wanting to believe something does not change the fact that I do not actually believe it.

Believing that something exists should be independent of whether or not that belief could give you comfort or fulfill a desire. Either you are convinced by evidence that a particular god exists, or you are not convinced and you remain without belief (as a non-believer; atheist) until such time as you are provided with such. For instance, if I was convinced by evidence that a two headed tyrant god existed, I would have no choice but to believe that it existed, period....regardless of how much I hoped that it did not.

Last edited:

Interplanner

serpentdove,
are you a Prager fan? he was on this this past tuesday for Ultimate Issues. 'do you hope you are right or wrong?' Spot on! pragerradio.com

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"The problem is it is a dumb question, not only because what we want is irrelevant to what is true..."
There are no dumb questions. Just dumb people (Ps 14:1).

"...ut also because there isn't a single version of good to accept or reject."
There aren't versions of God. God is good (Ex. 34:6, Ps. 31:19). Not the question. :juggle:

"So do I hope of I'm right of there is no God? Depends on the god..."
Not the question. :sleep: God is: living, personal, relational, good and loving. Do you hope that you are right that God does not exist?

"...a kind and benign one"
One that makes no demands of you (Jn 3:18–20).

"..or an aloof and disinterested one maybe..."
One that does not hold you accountable for your actions (Is. 46:13; Zeph. 1:14).

"...[M]ost versions describe a petty and vindictive (if not downright cruel) God..."
Ro 5:8

We are not discussing your spaghetti god in the sky. We are discussing Yahweh , the God of scripture.

"...in which case I hope I am right."
You do not care if there is an ultimate justice--a God who sets all things right (Deut. 32:4). :idunno:

Jamie Gigliotti

If you are wrong you suffer a horrendous fate. If Christians are wrong we lose nothing. This describes Pascal's wager.

The evidence is not the same. Eleven of Christ's disciples were tortured and killed for not denying the truth of their testimony, that they saw the risen Jesus.

The Only true God proved He is love by the sacrifice of His Son, which was One with Him. His self incarnated. The Judgement is unavoidable because of His Holiness, His Love and Mercy are a product of that same Holiness.

Humans have an inate sense of right and wrong, that philosophers call the natural law that we all know exists. This Law is evidence of moral truth, of a Law Giver (God). Only physcopaths have no conscience.

Physicists agree the universe came into being in an instant. Natural Selection proves that species change physical characteristics. It does not prove species changing into other species. Chromosomes are not added or subtracted. Amazingly Lions and Tigers are the same species with different physical characteristics.

Jamie Gigliotti

The problem is it is a dumb question, not only because what we want is irrelevant to what is true but also because there isn't a single version of good to accept or reject. So do I hope of I'm right of there is no God? Depends on the god, a kind and benign one or an aloof and disinterested one maybe is like to be wrong. However most versions describe a petty and vindictive (if not downright cruel) God in which case I hope I am right.

Imagine the most glorious rich earthly King suffering a horrendous death for His love of those who mocked and despised Him. This describes the one true God.

Jamie Gigliotti

Well, first of all, as an atheist, I simply have not been convinced to believe in any god. That doesn't mean that I am claiming that gods do not in fact exist. How should I know? For all I know, there could be hundreds out there! I just have not had any personal experience of any god or have seen any convincing evidence yet to believe in any particular god.

I don't know about you, but my beliefs are the result of being convinced (by evidence/experience) of something's truth. I cannot choose to believe in the existence of something based on fear, or even based on my wants/desires. Heck, there are some things that I believe in that I would rather not believe, but have no choice based on the overwhelming evidence.

Even if someone were to offer me 10 million dollars to believe that I was a porcupine, for example, I couldn't make myself actually believe. Would I want to believe it? Heck yeah! Could I “try” to believe? Yes! Could I pretend to believe it? Sure! But would I actually believe it? No. Like I said before, wanting to believe something does not change the fact that I do not actually believe it.

Believing that something exists should be independent of whether or not that belief could give you comfort or fulfill a desire. Either you are convinced by evidence that a particular god exists, or you are not convinced and you remain without belief (as a non-believer; atheist) until such time as you are provided with such. For instance, if I was convinced by evidence that a two headed tyrant god existed, I would have no choice but to believe that it existed, period....regardless of how much I hoped that it did not.

If you seek God you will find Him. His presence will give you all the proof you need. Read the New Testament and sincerly ask Him to reveal Himself to you and He will.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"Well, first of all, as an atheist..."
Why do you identify as "other"?

"...I simply have not been convinced to believe in any god."
Not the question. :rolleyes:

"That doesn't mean that I am claiming that gods do not in fact exist. How should I know?"
Not asking what you know. Asking what you hope. :freak:

"For all I know, there could be hundreds out there!"
Not the question. :AMR:

"I just have not had any personal experience of any god or have seen any convincing evidence yet to believe in any particular god."
Not the question. :sleep:

"I don't know about you, but my beliefs are the result of being convinced (by evidence/experience) of something's truth."
Not here to discuss your beliefs.
drool.gif

"I cannot choose to believe in the existence of something based on fear..."
:noway: You won't be frightened into truth.
367b35ec45accddaa2dca589ec3e6cf1.gif
Gen. 3:10, Pr 1:7
"...or even based on my wants/desires."
TMI :granite:

"Heck, there are some things that I believe in that I would rather not believe..."
Not the question. :plain:

"...Like I said before, wanting to believe something does not change the fact that I do not actually believe it."
Suicide.gif

"Believing that something exists should be independent of whether or not that belief could give you comfort or fulfill a desire."
hang-yourself.gif

"Either you are convinced by evidence that a particular god exists, or you are not convinced and you remain without belief (as a non-believer; atheist) until such time as you are provided with such."
jump_off_a_cliff_by_death_au.gif

"For instance, if I was convinced by evidence that a two headed tyrant god existed, I would have no choice but to believe that it existed, period....regardless of how much I hoped that it did not."
:smack: