Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Hi, Knight ~

Given Posting Rule #8, is it acceptable to support one's argument with a linked documentary source, such as a brief article on the topic?

Thanks for your time and attention.

Cruciform
+T+
You should provide a link to the specific post, so he can see the context.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Knight,

I don't know if anything like this is even possible (or if I am the only one who would be interested), but is there a way to put a world map somewhere on TOL that would show dots in every country where there is a TOL member? Sort of like a paper map with thumb tacks.

I think it would be interesting to see all the places in the world where there are members.

Each time a person joins from a new country, a little dot would appear there.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Knight,

I don't know if anything like this is even possible (or if I am the only one who would be interested), but is there a way to put a world map somewhere on TOL that would show dots in every country where there is a TOL member? Sort of like a paper map with thumb tacks.

I think it would be interesting to see all the places in the world where there are members.

Each time a person joins from a new country, a little dot would appear there.
*coughalreadydonecough*

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Seriously? :eek:

This is the part where I realize I should have looked around better....

:doh:

psssssssssssssssssssssssssst....where is it?
We have done that a couple times. People look at it a couple times the first few days and then it goes dormant. Yet even still I will look into again and see if there are any cool new tools for that.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Perhaps there is such a creature already, but if not, I think it would be interesting (at least to me)...

Would it be possible to put an area on a person's profile that would allow them to make an extended description of their beliefs?

It is, of course, possible to discover how a person feels with regard to God and religion by reading a number of their posts, but I think it would be nice to go to their profile and read a statement of belief that they had created. They could talk about how they had found God (or how they had gone away from a belief in God, as the case may be) or why they don't believe in any kind of othernatural being. A testimony...whatever.

This would be optional for people to fill out, of course. Just a thought. :)

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Something Tradio said in another thread made me think about this one...

"When, if ever, is it ok to lie?"

I'm thinking about things along the lines of telling children there is a Santa Claus or that there are no Jews hiding in your attic (when asked by Nazi's during WWII) etc. Is it ever ok to lie?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
...or that there are no Jews hiding in your attic (when asked by Nazi's during WWII) etc. Is it ever ok to lie?
God never says it's a sin to lie. It is sinful to bear false witness which is a type of lie that incriminates another person or possibly helps a guilty person be freed from his crime.

But lying in and of itself is morally neutral. Lying can be a bad thing... or it can be a good thing based on the circumstance.

A fantastic example of this concept can be found here...

Exodus 1:13 So the Egyptians made the children of Israel serve with rigor. 14 And they made their lives bitter with hard bondage — in mortar, in brick, and in all manner of service in the field. All their service in which they made them serve was with rigor. 15 Then the king of Egypt spoke to the Hebrew midwives, of whom the name of one was Shiphrah and the name of the other Puah; 16 and he said, “When you do the duties of a midwife for the Hebrew women, and see them on the birthstools, if it is a son, then you shall kill him; but if it is a daughter, then she shall live.” 17 But the midwives feared God, and did not do as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the male children alive. 18 So the king of Egypt called for the midwives and said to them, “Why have you done this thing, and saved the male children alive?” 19 And the midwives said to Pharaoh, “Because the Hebrew women are not like the Egyptian women; for they are lively and give birth before the midwives come to them.” 20 Therefore God dealt well with the midwives, and the people multiplied and grew very mighty. 21 And so it was, because the midwives feared God, that He provided households for them.

Note, that the Hebrew midwives lied to the King to protect the baby boys.

God, not only allowed such a lie but He blessed the Hebrew midwives for lying to protect innocent children from certain death.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God never says it's a sin to lie. It is sinful to bear false witness which is a type of lie that incriminates another person or possibly helps a guilty person be freed from his crime.

But lying in and of itself is morally neutral. Lying can be a bad thing... or it can be a good thing based on the circumstance.

A fantastic example of this concept can be found here...

Exodus 1:13 So the Egyptians made the children of Israel serve with rigor. 14 And they made their lives bitter with hard bondage — in mortar, in brick, and in all manner of service in the field. All their service in which they made them serve was with rigor. 15 Then the king of Egypt spoke to the Hebrew midwives, of whom the name of one was Shiphrah and the name of the other Puah; 16 and he said, “When you do the duties of a midwife for the Hebrew women, and see them on the birthstools, if it is a son, then you shall kill him; but if it is a daughter, then she shall live.” 17 But the midwives feared God, and did not do as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the male children alive. 18 So the king of Egypt called for the midwives and said to them, “Why have you done this thing, and saved the male children alive?” 19 And the midwives said to Pharaoh, “Because the Hebrew women are not like the Egyptian women; for they are lively and give birth before the midwives come to them.” 20 Therefore God dealt well with the midwives, and the people multiplied and grew very mighty. 21 And so it was, because the midwives feared God, that He provided households for them.

Note, that the Hebrew midwives lied to the King to protect the baby boys.

God, not only allowed such a lie but He blessed the Hebrew midwives for lying to protect innocent children from certain death.

I meant to post this as a possible TOL topic of the day suggestion...stuck it in the wrong thread. Sorry all!

(I agree with what Knight says above, btw.)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

I'd like to believe you...:noid: :D

Oh, all right. Well done. :cheers: (or was it? :shocked:)

WizardofOz

Can we allow a thread creator to ban certain posters from the thread? That would be great if you could make that happen :thumb:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I need a bit of advice on embedding youtube videos. Sometimes the embod code from youtube works and sometimes it doesn't. Thanks for any advice.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I need a bit of advice on embedding youtube videos. Sometimes the embod code from youtube works and sometimes it doesn't. Thanks for any advice.
You don't want to use the YouTube embed code. Instead, you will only use the video number that is part of the URL of the video.

Inserting video into a post instructions are located here.

Status
Not open for further replies.