Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yokefellow

There is no sense messing around with anything other than a Mac, especially if you are a graphic artist.

A Mac will change your life and make you a better artist.

Mac's are not actually more expensive when you factor in all the time people waste on PC's trying to protect themselves from malware, virus's, etc. Mac's also tend last twice as long and maintain their value twice as good as a PC.

Break the cycle of PC suckiness now and buy yourself a Mac.

Noted! Thanks. It looks like I might have some shopping to do.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Knight,

Some people say that Tuesday is like Monday...when they have Monday off work. Well, I was off yesterday (Monday). I'll also be off this coming Friday. Wednesday, I'll be off half a day. So if today is like Monday since I was actually off on Monday, then does my being off this Friday actually move today back into its proper place: Tuesday? And if so, then what does my half-day Wednesday do to today. Is it now actually midnight Sunday?

I'm struggling here. Can you help?

Randy

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Now I'm really freaking out, as I combine those thoughts with this one below...
Knight,

I've noticed a strange occurence that has been slowly happening over time.

There was a time when my computer's clock matched up with TOL's. In other words, if it's 12:15 and someone makes a post right then, then my User CP will show the latest post being made at 12:15.

Now, however, I often notice that the time of the latest post is several minutes past the current time. In other words, if it's 12:15 now, I might see that the latest post "was" made at 12:21.

This is very exciting to me, because I know that it's not that the post "was" made; it means that it "will be" made. Which means that one day, in a couple of years or so, I'll be able to read posts that are made possibly a day or maybe even a week in the future. So I'll know what people are posting before they actually even post. So I'm very excited and becoming more and more eager as I contemplate the impact this will have on my ability to come across as incredibly intuitive in my responses (or "pre"sponses) to others.

My question is: Is this some sort of binary wormhole that you've discovered within the software? Is this something that you can share with me? Is it an alien technology? Does this mean that our open view has been wrong all this time?

If you can't answer, then I understand.

Thanks,
Randy

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight,

Some people say that Tuesday is like Monday...when they have Monday off work. Well, I was off yesterday (Monday). I'll also be off this coming Friday. Wednesday, I'll be off half a day. So if today is like Monday since I was actually off on Monday, then does my being off this Friday actually move today back into its proper place: Tuesday? And if so, then what does my half-day Wednesday do to today. Is it now actually midnight Sunday?

Randy
The moment I finished reading that my nose started bleeding.

SaulToPaul 2

Knight,

Randy

Romans 14:5 (KJV)

:D

bybee

Well

Well

Knight,

Randy

Perhaps if you lie down in a cool, dark room and put a cold cloth on your forehead time will return to it's proper sequence?
My son is visiting from San Antonio and he must leave here on Saturday so it can't be Sunday yet. Can it? bybee

lucy

How can I go back to posts of specific individuals who replied to me about some topic that were posted over 6 mos ago?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How can I go back to posts of specific individuals who replied to me about some topic that were posted over 6 mos ago?
This is not easily done.

I usually search my own posts, since I can recall the content. So I search for a key word or two and specify my own userID. This will bring up content that I have posted that is relevant to whomever I am looking for as a person who has responded.

If you can recall the person's content in a response you could search for that phrase and specify that person's userID in the Advanced Search fields.

Barring that, I use a brute force approach. If I am looking for a particular person's response and have a general idea of the time frame I simply go to the user's profile, select "Statistics" and then the show all posts option. Then I troll through all the pages to find what I am looking for. That said, this approach won't help if the poster is prolific, as the show all posts option seems to run out of gas after 500 past posts. In this case, I resort to using the Google site search feature and some fancy boolean logic to see if I can tease out the answers I am seeking. ;)

I have noticed that since the database tweaking Knight performed that some content I have posted won't come up in an advanced search. I have tested this against links I have to that content to make sure it still exists. I think the issue here is the database rebuilding process associated with the vBulletin software.

AMR

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Are we no longer able to edit our posts after we've posted them?

Hmm???? :confused:

I could edit this post but cannot edit THIS post.

What gives?

Lon

Knight,
Alright, I've seen thumbnail pics on here for awhile now, but have not succeeded in doing so myself. What is the trick?
Along this line, what about tips/tricks stickied thread? Or do you prefer them to all come under Ask Knight? Also, what is the first childhood vacation you took that you vividly remember?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Are we no longer able to edit our posts after we've posted them?

Hmm???? :confused:

I could edit this post but cannot edit THIS post.

What gives?
The post you couldn't edit is in the Hall of Fame and editing is turned off in there for good reason. We want to preserve those posts and threads as if they were in a museum.

If we allowed editing in the Hall of Fame a member might go back in and delete all of their comments or alter their original posts thereby making the Hall of Fame thread something other than what it was when we placed it in the Hall of Fame.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight,
Alright, I've seen thumbnail pics on here for awhile now, but have not succeeded in doing so myself. What is the trick?
Along this line, what about tips/tricks stickied thread? Or do you prefer them to all come under Ask Knight?
If you search the forums you can find answers to just about any question you could possibly ask. You can also check our FAQ.
Also, what is the first childhood vacation you took that you vividly remember?
Yellowstone National Park. Our family rented a Winnebago Trailer and we drove up in our 1968 Plymouth Fury III. That was an awesome vacation.

heir

TOL Subscriber
The post you couldn't edit is in the Hall of Fame and editing is turned off in there for good reason. We want to preserve those posts and threads as if they were in a museum.

If we allowed editing in the Hall of Fame a member might go back in and delete all of their comments or alter their original posts thereby making the Hall of Fame thread something other than what it was when we placed it in the Hall of Fame.
Is there any way that someone can move the newest discussion on the topic to a new thread then? Sorry, Knight. I should have started a new thread myself to begin with.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Is there any way that someone can move the newest discussion on the topic to a new thread then? Sorry, Knight. I should have started a new thread myself to begin with.
Can you give me a link to the very first post that should start the new thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.