Are Glamour Models Immoral?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

1 Tim. 2:9

Let's consider the whole verse including the surrounding passages for context:

7 For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying) as a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

Claiming that authority, what does he want men to do?

8 Therefore I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and dissension.

How do we avoid that in this discussion?

9 Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments,

Setting aside what Paul might have meant by proper clothing, modesty and discretion in the context of the Roman society he lived in at that time, do you believe it's immoral for women to braid their hair and wear jewelry? How much can a woman spend on a garment before it's considered immoral?

10 but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness.

Do you believe that good works are evidence of godlness, as Paul is clearly claiming?

11 A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness.

Being a woman, who should you receive instruction from with entire submissiveness?

12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.

Regardless, and no offense to Saint Paul, I give you authority to speak now and try and teach me something.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Do women who dress as discussed deserve* to be lusted after? Some women seem to be more offended at how most men respond to seeing such than they are at the potentially provocative clothing (or lack of clothing) itself, which has always struck me as odd.

She is responsible for her sexually aggressive behavior. He is responsible for how he responds to her behavior. 1 Tim. 2:9, 2 Sam. 11:2–5

elohiym

What I want to know is ... since glamour models may cause men to lust who may, in turn, end up stalking and even harming them, is it the fault of the models?

Not at all, in my opinion. It's not immoral to model a bikini. Why seeing x amount of skin or body part b causes some men to suddenly covet a woman has more to do with the man's heart than the amount of skin the model is showing. It is written: "To the pure, all things are pure; but to those who are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure, but both their mind and their conscience are defiled." That's Paul writing in Titus 1:15.

elohiym

Islam is a perversion on Christianity...

His comment was about a type of garment, not Islam. Although it's worth noting that at least the terrorists set out a dress code for women they claim is modest and moral. I'm still waiting for examples of what's acceptable to some Christians posting here. Do you believe a burka is a modest and moral type of garment? Why or why not?

elohiym

1 Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful to me, but all things are not expedient...

If that's true, why would it be immoral for a Christian woman to wear a bikini?

Wouldn't it be lawful but perhaps not expedient for some reason?

elohiym

Here's an item from your link:

ra_jersey.jpg

Why do you consider that modest? What scriptures are being used to claim those items are modest? I think that girl would have caught flak for wearing that top in Paul's culture, don't you?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Here's an item from your link:

ra_jersey.jpg

Why do you consider that modest? What scriptures are being used to claim those items are modest? I think that girl would have caught flak for wearing that top in Paul's culture, don't you?
Probably. I think sin in this is found in our intent and response.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not at all, in my opinion. It's not immoral to model a bikini. Why seeing x amount of skin or body part b causes some men to suddenly covet a woman has more to do with the man's heart than the amount of skin the model is showing.

:thumb: Exactly.

Arthur Brain

I'm just puzzled over your use of the word immoral. I can't even guess what moral would would mean to you, or indeed whether your use of it indicates an insincere question designed to create controversy. :confused:

Not really sure what's tripping you up exactly. Even if you were genuinely 'puzzled' by my own attitudes to morality it wouldn't in any way stop you from providing an answer to the question in the OP, along with the why and wherefore etc.

It's a legitimate question so either engage honestly or don't. Otherwise I'm inclined to think you're pulling the asinine troll shtick and SOD supplies enough of that immature crap without your help dude.

Happy new year btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.