ARCHIVE: Will You Be Celebrating Christmas?

ARCHIVE: Will You Be Celebrating Christmas?

• Yes

Votes: 87 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 18.7%

• Total voters

God_Is_Truth

Hilston said:
Exactly. Christ's sacrifice, plus nothing else. No obedience, no faith, no good intentions can justify me before God. Only the shed blood of Christ in my behalf.

What are you saying here? That before you had faith in God, you were saved? If so, how do you know you are saved? What confirms it?

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
God_Is_Truth said:
But if you give special thanks on that one day, doesn't that mean you are giving less thanks than you can be giving on every other day? Didn't Paul write to give thanks in everything? Shouldn't we be as thankful as we can, all the time, i.e. in everything?

I wouldnt take it that far, and of course I agree with you and Paul on giving thanks. :) I think church meeting on Sunday is a fair analogy. At least typically, Christians pray, fellowship, and praise/worship (in the singing sense) more on Sunday. I don't see that that diminishes what we do the rest of the week. Most Christians would cringe though if you told them Sunday was a "special religious" day. Does that work?

God_Is_Truth

Vaquero45 said:
I wouldnt take it that far, and of course I agree with you and Paul on giving thanks. :) I think church meeting on Sunday is a fair analogy. At least typically, Christians pray, fellowship, and praise/worship (in the singing sense) more on Sunday. I don't see that that diminishes what we do the rest of the week. Most Christians would cringe though if you told them Sunday was a "special religious" day. Does that work?

That's an interesting comparison. I don't look at it that way really. The difference between sunday (or saturday for me) worship and the rest of the week is that sunday is done together, collectively. I view it as the coming together and manifestation of the worship and praise that is done the rest of the week.

I think it would be tough to extend that idea to christmas, since most people don't celebrate it collectively outside of their family. What do you think?

koban

God_Is_Truth said:
That's an interesting comparison. I don't look at it that way really. The difference between sunday (or saturday for me) worship and the rest of the week is that sunday is done together, collectively. I view it as the coming together and manifestation of the worship and praise that is done the rest of the week.

I think it would be tough to extend that idea to christmas, since most people don't celebrate it collectively outside of their family. What do you think?

I disagree, the churches are packed on Christmas eve.

Even if you keep it in the family, if you're celebrating in any way other than individually, isn't it a form of "collectively"?

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
God_Is_Truth said:

I usually go to church on Saturday night also, so you know what I meant there. We do have a service at church on Christmas Eve, so we do actually celebrate it collectively also. :) I agree that Christmas is a different can of worms than Sunday Service in many ways. Christmas has more issues to pick on. The pagan stuff, materialistic stuff, Santa Claus... (the list goes on...)
Again, the big issue to me is that we don't make Christmas into a "rule", or imagine that we gain (or lose) points with God somehow, and improve on Grace. I suppose some people could take it too seriously and go that direction. I sure don't see it in myself. I look at it as eating pork and keeping the sabbath. Do or do not, depending on your personal view, but dont try to attach it to the Gospel either way. If you make it a law for yourself, that's when Paul gets mad. :)

God_Is_Truth

Vaguero,

I definitely agree with you about the rule idea. Here's a question though, why do we only celebrate christmas once a year? We meet for church every week, yet christmas is only once a year (or one month out of the year, depending on your view ;)). Why do we make Christmas something different from what we do every week?

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
God_Is_Truth said:
Vaguero,

I definitely agree with you about the rule idea. Here's a question though, why do we only celebrate christmas once a year? We meet for church every week, yet christmas is only once a year (or one month out of the year, depending on your view ;)). Why do we make Christmas something different from what we do every week?

Well... that might be a good question for probably most of the people who call themselves Christian. I am always thankful for the gift of Jesus, His sacrifice, and what He accomplished for us and thereby offers us thru faith. (as I'm sure you and all other real Christians are) Maybe "Christmas" should be every day? :) If I read you right, I do not disagree with your point here.

Sozo

Jim... I somehow lost track of this thread ( I may have been banned or on a "break"). In any case, I'm just curious, do you sing songs in your church?

koban

Sozo said:
Jim... I somehow lost track of this thread ( I may have been banned or on a "break"). In any case, I'm just curious, do you sing songs in your church?

:doh:

They better not mention "angels" :sibbie:

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Songs, hymns and spiritual songs ...

Songs, hymns and spiritual songs ...

Hi Sozo,

Sozo said:
Yes. Why do you ask? I pasted one of our songs below:

No Holy Nights
(To the tune of “Oh Holy Night”, original words by Chappeau de Roquemaure, translated by John S. Dwight)

i. BODY: DAY OF CHRIST
No “holy nights”, the Body is preparing,
the Spirit drives us fully to learn.
Each “holy night”, the Body is avoiding,
now standing fast, our Law to discern.

Made ritu’l free by Christ’s perfect Headship,
and Spirit dwelt to be the Father’s shrine.

Rise in the Cloud!
With Christ, jointly ascending,
upon the Throne, to sit forevermore,
upon the Throne, to sit forevermore.

ii. ISRAEL: DAY OF THE LORD
Unholy night, the wagons are unloading,
it is the night of Elect Jacob’s birth.
Born in a day, for Zion is travailing,
God’s will is done in the heav’ns and the earth.

The wheat and tares are growing up together,
and in the cleft His sickle is prepared.

Thrust! And reap!
Secure the promised bound’ries!
Arise and shine, arise, thy Light is come.

iii. GENTILES: DAY OF GOD
Each ancient night, the stars are brightly shining,
describing all of the dear Savior’s birth.
Night after night, and sign after sign,
their voice has gone throughout all the earth.

From Virgo round to Leo, He’s performing,
for yonder dawn the glorious Gentile morns.

Wait! And believe!
Oh hear the Lion roaring.
Rise up, rejoice, His wrath has now turned back.

iv. CHRIST: GOD ALL IN ALL
Pre-night of nights, the Logos is abiding,
within the Father’s bosom, He dwells.
Ancient of Days, the Father’s will expressing,
each diff'rent grace and salvation, He tells.

The Body’s Head, and Israel’s Priest-Messiah,
the Gentiles’ Savior, that God be all in all.

Fall on your knees!
To God the Father’s glory,
confess His Name, that Name above all names,
confess His Name, that Name above all names.

Sozo

Hilston said:
Hi Sozo,

Yes. Why do you ask? I pasted one of our songs below:

No Holy Nights
(To the tune of “Oh Holy Night”, original words by Chappeau de Roquemaure, translated by John S. Dwight)

i. BODY: DAY OF CHRIST
No “holy nights”, the Body is preparing,
the Spirit drives us fully to learn.
Each “holy night”, the Body is avoiding,
now standing fast, our Law to discern.

Made ritu’l free by Christ’s perfect Headship,
and Spirit dwelt to be the Father’s shrine.

Rise in the Cloud!
With Christ, jointly ascending,
upon the Throne, to sit forevermore,
upon the Throne, to sit forevermore.

ii. ISRAEL: DAY OF THE LORD
Unholy night, the wagons are unloading,
it is the night of Elect Jacob’s birth.
Born in a day, for Zion is travailing,
God’s will is done in the heav’ns and the earth.

The wheat and tares are growing up together,
and in the cleft His sickle is prepared.

Thrust! And reap!
Secure the promised bound’ries!

iii. GENTILES: DAY OF GOD
Each ancient night, the stars are brightly shining,
describing all of the dear Savior’s birth.
Night after night, and sign after sign,
their voice has gone throughout all the earth.

From Virgo round to Leo, He’s performing,
for yonder dawn the glorious Gentile morns.

Wait! And believe!
Oh hear the Lion roaring.

iv. CHRIST: GOD ALL IN ALL
Pre-night of nights, the Logos is abiding,
within the Father’s bosom, He dwells.
Ancient of Days, the Father’s will expressing,
each diff'rent grace and salvation, He tells.

The Body’s Head, and Israel’s Priest-Messiah,
the Gentiles’ Savior, that God be all in all.

Fall on your knees!
To God the Father’s glory,
confess His Name, that Name above all names,
confess His Name, that Name above all names.

That's nice. I'll bet it took you a great deal of time to write it, and I wish I could say that I understand what it is you are trying to say, but I don't. I suppose if I read it slower, or all of it, I might get it.

Anyway, I'm trying to understand your reasons for believing that it is wrong to celebrate Christmas, and I was thinking that you probably do not sing songs of worship or praise in church because it is a form of religion. Is that true?

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Reply to Agape4Robin and Sozo

Reply to Agape4Robin and Sozo

Agape4Robin writes:
Agape4Robin said:
Why is the zodiac incorporated into this song?
Because the Zodiac is the message of the Gospel and of Messiah communicated via the constellations. The Scriptures make several references to the Zodiac.

Job 38:32 Canst thou bring forth the Zodiac in it season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons?

In Psalm 19, the Zodiac is vividly described:

1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3 There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5 Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6 His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.​

Also, there are more details available here: http://www.companionbiblecondensed.com/AP/ap12.pdf

Sozo said:
That's nice. I'll bet it took you a great deal of time to write it, and I wish I could say that I understand what it is you are trying to say, but I don't. I suppose if I read it slower, or all of it, I might get it.
Those who attend our church or are accustomed to the biblical teachings regarding the distinctive households of God's elect and the specific laws that attend them would understand. There are studies available at our website that provide details of these teachings for anyone who is interested.

Sozo said:
Anyway, I'm trying to understand your reasons for believing that it is wrong to celebrate Christmas, ...
Here's a link that will give you a brief overview:

http://www.tgfonline.org/TGF/topical/letter.htm

Sozo said:
... and I was thinking that you probably do not sing songs of worship or praise in church because it is a form of religion. Is that true?
I'm not against religion. I'm a religious person. The Bible teaches true and pure religion. I'm really not sure where you get the idea that I'm against religion, or that singing songs is a form of religion that is to be eschewed.

Have a look at the link and let me know if you want more information. There are more in-depth studies available.

Thanks for your question.
Jim

sentientsynth

:shocked: Oh no! Not new ideas!!

Jim,

My original questions of the Zodiac have been cleared up by Mr. Bullinger in his book The Witness of the Stars. I understand you're experiencing technical difficulties. Hope you're able to get them cleared up without much difficulty.

On another note, what of non-religious state-mandated holidays, like Martin Luther King Jr. Day? Should Christians also distance themselves from these holidays? Is such also angel-worship, or perhaps idolatry?

Thanks for the clarity,

SS

Last edited:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
koban said:
Jim's an overeducated idiot whose impression of his own cognitive ablilties knows no bounds. :rolleyes:
If I give up Christmas, what do I do with all the loot I got from my kids? (I mean, there is some really neat stuff there!)