ARCHIVE: Will You Be Celebrating Christmas?

ARCHIVE: Will You Be Celebrating Christmas?

• Yes

Votes: 87 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 18.7%

• Total voters

Mr. 5020

Have yourself
a merry little Christmas
Let your heart be light
From now on our troubles
will be out of sight

erinmarie

I'm starting the holiday celebration early this year. Go ahead and give me some gifts now, it's okay, I won't be disappointed if they're not wrapped. :D

koban

Hilston said:
Celebrating Christmas, Easter, Passover, Sabbaths, Ramadan, Hanukah, etc. or any religious holiday is violation of Paul's gospel, just as is water baptism, and for the very same reasons.

:wave2:

Merry Christmas Jim! :banana:

koban

That's why I had left this thread alone for a while.

Believe me, I plan to come back to it!

Merry Christmas to you too, GIT! :cheers:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Celebrate anyway. I always do. Spent a few out and about.

Declare your next time off to be Christmas. Buy Juju a surprise Christmas present.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Happy Birthday, Ba'al!

Happy Birthday, Ba'al!

koban said:
:wave2:

Merry Christmas Jim! :banana:
Thanks, koban! How very kind of you to go out of your way to express this generous and loving sentiment to an absolute stranger. Truly it is the righteousness of Christ shining through you on this Special Day, and I am a fortunate man to be a recipient of this blessing from an exemplar such as yourself. May you receive this Christ-mass everything you deserve.

I have no doubt, koban, that your Christian kindness and generosity are matched by your Bible scholarship. So I'm curious, what is your view of the following passage?:
Ro 14:4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. 5 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.​

koban

Hilston said:
Thanks, koban! How very kind of you to go out of your way to express this generous and loving sentiment to an absolute stranger.

Thanks!

I thought it would mirror the gift of salvation sent by God to all!

Truly it is the righteousness of Christ shining through you on this Special Day, and I am a fortunate man to be a recipient of this blessing from an exemplar such as yourself. May you receive this Christ-mass everything you deserve.

:thumb:

I have no doubt, koban, that your Christian kindness and generosity are matched by your Bible scholarship.

Oh, but you should Jim, you should. :chuckle:

I make no pretence of being anything other than a student of the gospel.

I'm very willing to let others claim to be the "scholars".

So I'm curious, what is your view of the following passage?:
Ro 14:4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. 5 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.​

I think Paul was taking a round-a-bout way of saying:

Merry Christmas! :banana:

beanieboy

Eggnog, presents, calling my family - yeah, I celebrate it, and I would say that you celebrate it for a number of resons. People say that it is purely for the birth of Jesus, but it is also a family tradition for most people, and as much about being with your family,as it is for Jesus birth. For example, most people expect turkey for dinner, and pumpkin pie for dessert, and I'm sure that there is nohting in Romans or Ephesians about what to serve. But I'm sure that make God happy - family coming together and being with one another.

And anyone who has seen the Simpsons episode of Lisa becoming Buddhist around Christmas will understand that if the greater good is to go through the motions to make everyone happy, then that is the best thing to do.

Question - Christmas day or Christmas eve - which do you like better

Hilston

Hall of Fame
To koban ...

To koban ...

Hilston said:
[W]hat is your view of the following passage?:

koban said:
I think Paul was taking a round-a-bout way of saying:

Merry Christmas! :banana:
Please elaborate. Was there a holiday equivalent to Christ-Mass in Paul's day that he was referring to?

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Hilston...could you clarify the following.

On this current thread you state the following:

"The reason Paul prohibits the celebration of religious holidays has nothing to do with a fear of paganism or pagan influence, or legalism for that matter (which is the typical protest I get from well-meaning Christians). Rather, it is because the observance of anything religiously ritualistic, ceremonial, or symbolic upsets the created order."

But yet on the website you maintain for your "church" http://www.tgfonline.org/TGF/tgfconf/1999/pauline_apol_nonevang.pdf

under item #6b it states the following:

"No holidays...monthly days...no Mother's Day sermon..."

This current thread seems to indicate that you do not celebrate religious holidays because it "upsets the created order" (whatever that means). Yet your website seems to indicate no holidays...period. Which I pointed out some time ago and you had a tantrum saying it wasn't true. Does it "upset the created order" to celebrate mothers day or just having a sermon about mothers day?

Does it "upset the created order" to celebrate labor day or just having a sermon about labor day?

You went to great lenghts with me in order to justify the celebrating of labor day. The reason was because I claimed elsewhere that (from a prior conversation) you claimed that you did not celebrate holidays. Which I think is a justifiable claim from your own website.

Does it "upset the created order" order to celebrate Mother's Day or just mentioning mother's while at church?

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Religionizing ...

Religionizing ...

chatmaggot said:
Hilston...could you clarify the following. On this current thread you state the following:
"The reason Paul prohibits the celebration of religious holidays has nothing to do with a fear of paganism or pagan influence, or legalism for that matter (which is the typical protest I get from well-meaning Christians). Rather, it is because the observance of anything religiously ritualistic, ceremonial, or symbolic upsets the created order."​
But yet on the website you maintain for your "church" under item #6b it states the following:
"No holidays...monthly days...no Mother's Day sermon..."​
This current thread seems to indicate that you do not celebrate religious holidays because it "upsets the created order" (whatever that means).
You need to read the whole excerpt in context:
6. One Baptism: Only the baptism by the Spirit into the Body of Christ (Rom. 6:3–5 (Greek), I Cor. 12:13, Gal. 3:27, Eph. 4:5, Col. 2:8–23, Tit. 3:5 (= Body's regeneration).
  • No water baptism of any kind; no charismatic baptism of any kind; no circumcision; no sacrifices; no symbolic religious act of any kind; no dedication of babies; no religious acts of conversion; no going forward; no raising one's hand; no "every head bowed and every eye closed"; no religious wedding ceremonies; etc.
  • No holidays (no Christmas, no Easter), monthly days, no weekly or Lord's days
    (Gal. 4:8–11; Col. 2:8–23); no Mother's Day sermon; no religiously set times; no religiously set times for prayer or reading or "quiet time" (I Thess. 5:16–17, Phil. 4:4); etc.
  • No religious symbols, religious clothes, habits or reverse collars, choir robes, academic robes, prayer shawls or talliths, veils or doillies, special suit just for Sunday (I Cor. 11:1–16 (Greek)); no Bible on top of school books just to make a point; no staged prayers for media; etc.
  • No religiously motivated fasting; no religious regulation of food; no symbolic meals; no traditional, Hindu-Mithraic derived communions of self-denial (I Cor. 10:16–18; 11:20–34 (Greek)); etc.
This is not a blanket prohibition of holidays, but rather of religious rituals and symbolism of all kinds, including religious holidays.​
To answer your question about the created order, the households of God's elect are arranged as follows:
  • Body of Christ administrates over the angelic realm (1Co 6:1-3 Eph 3:10 Eph 1:20 2:6 Eph 1:3, 20-23 Php 3:20ff).
  • The angelic realm adminstrates over Israel.(See throughout Israel's scriptures Ge 22:11,15 24:7,40 32:11-29 Ex 14:19 Jud 2:1-4 etc.)
  • Israel administrates over the Nations. (Isa 60, 66, Zech 8:23 Ge 12:3 18:18 22:17, 18 26:4 Isa 14:1-3 60:1-6 Amos 9:9-12 Jer 23:5,6)
  • The Nations worship the Lord by serving the Nation of Israel (Isa 11:10 14:1-3 60:1-6 2:1-3)
You can see more detailed treatments of this here: The Seven Ones.
chatmaggot said:
Yet your website seems to indicate no holidays...period.
That's incorrect. Non-religious holidays are not contrary to Christ's teaching for the Body.
chatmaggot said:
Which I pointed out some time ago and you had a tantrum saying it wasn't true. Does it "upset the created order" to celebrate mothers day or just having a sermon about mothers day?
If having a mother's day sermon religionizes the day, makes it into a symbolic holy day, then that is prohibited by Christ for His Body. Giving one's mother a card and flowers does not religionize the day.

chatmaggot said:
Does it "upset the created order" to celebrate labor day or just having a sermon about labor day?
"Upsetting the created order" refers to members of the Body of Christ submitting themselves to angelic authority. Anything that would suggest this inversion is prohibited. Paul equated religious holy days with angel worship for precisely this reason (Col. 2:16-18, Gal. 4:10,11). Thus, if Labor Day became a day of religious observance, complete with religious ceremonies and a Labor Day sermon, then it would be contrary to Paul's teaching. Consider the following letter that we sent to friends and family regarding our non-participation in holidays, here: Why we do not celebrate holidays.

chatmaggot said:
You went to great lenghts with me in order to justify the celebrating of labor day. The reason was because I claimed elsewhere that (from a prior conversation) you claimed that you did not celebrate holidays. Which I think is a justifiable claim from your own website.
Anytime the holyday prohibitions are discussed by me or on my church's website, it is always in relation to religious holydays, or secular observances that are artificially converted to religious observances. Not strictly secular holidays. I think you'll see this if you go back and visit the website with that in mind.

chatmaggot said:
Does it "upset the created order" order to celebrate Mother's Day or just mentioning mother's while at church?
I celebrate Mother's Day. My kids and I buy my wife something and we make cards for her. But we don't make it religious by quoting Bible verses and having special Mother's Day prayers. Our church has meetings on Mother's Day, but not because it was Mother's Day; rather, because our church meeting happened to fall on that particular Sunday. We didn't have a Proverbs 31 sermon or have special prayers in behalf of the moms in the church. That would make the day into a religious observance, which is strictly forbidden by Christ for His Body.

Question: Why did you put "church" in quotes?