ARCHIVE: The reality of "Hell"

Dude-eronomy

I don't have a point; I'm asking a question! My assumption has always been that for all my flaws, everything is made right in Christ, and then, at the end of a stimulating discussion about hell, I ask a question -- to politely introduce myself and stimulate conversation. Sheesh!

AVmetro

BANNED
Banned
o2bwise

o2bwise

Hey o2,

Dan12:2 Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt. "

This a prophecy concerning the end time judgment.

The Hebrew word for everlasting here is ' owlam' or 'olam'
Strong's 5769 the vanishing point; gen. time out of mind (past or future), i.e. (paractically) eternity; freq. adv. (espec. with prip. pref.) always:--alway (-s) ancient (time), any more, continuance, eternal, (for, [n-]) ever (-lasting, -more, of old), lasting, long (time), (of) old (time), perpetual, at any time, (beginning of the) world (= without end). Comp. 5331, 5703

In other words 'eternity'.......

You have to remember, o2, that the LXX is a COPY of the original Hebrew. If you want the original thought clarified further, look at the original Hebrew manuscripts first :) .

Could you clarify your view with a few more scriptures, so I can get a little more orientated. Thanks ;)

Ya'll people just wait til' I find that NWT....grrrrrr :D

God bless...

C

cirisme

Sorry, wickwoman, I seem to have missed your post. :eek:

The very verse you're quoting says nothing about "and after x amount of time he was sent to heaven." Not to mention the fact that it has very little to do with justice and very much to do with free will. And besides, why wouldn't earth be considered "pergutory"?

dude said,
I don't have a point; I'm asking a question!

Sorry, I thought it was rhetorical.

If Christ's sacrifice of himself for us is real and our sins are forgiven, wouldn't hell be for those who think it exits?

That would be contradictory, Jesus forgives your sins and then you goto hell?

My assumption has always been that for all my flaws, everything is made right in Christ, and then, at the end of a stimulating discussion about hell, I ask a question -- to politely introduce myself and stimulate conversation.
I thought I might have killed o2's arguement, but he'll be back. You're right about being made right in Christ, but it's a free choice on our parts. It's good meeting you and hopefully you won't be so scarce in the future! :D

Dude-eronomy

Nice to meet you too!

Nice to meet you too!

Originally posted by cirisme
It's good meeting you and hopefully you won't be so scarce in the future! :D

Much of what I've read here sails over my head, but I'm here to learn and will almost certainly be asking lots of questions.

--Mark

o2bwise

for cirisme

for cirisme

Hello cirisme,

Not to be physically, yes.

You are being eisegetical. If you take the text AS IT READS, it refers to people perishing. It does NOT refer to a SUBSET of a person perishing. You need to add to the verse, according to your biases. I can take it just as it reads.

Furthermore, your suggestions seems silly to me on the following basis. You remove the only real significant aspect of “aliveness” from that which perishes. And that would be our very personality, our intelligent conscious existence.

But, that is the ESSENCE of being alive. I am ALIVE if I have consciousness. To take a verse which describes the lost as perishing and then to assert that the core attribute of being alive is not really being alluded to, is tantamount to effectively removing all significance to what it means to perish anyway.

So you concede that the potential use of this word does not always mean finite? That would make your previous arguement moot, wouldn't it?

Incorrect. My assertion is that the word has the very latitude I mentioned. My assertion is that one simply cannot take a text that has the rendering FOREVER and say, “Look! See how it says forever? That means the lost suffer forever!”

I had no need to REQUIRE it to mean finite time duration. I only asserted that virtually every text that has the rendering FOREVER adds zero support to your position. And if we look elsewhere to see what the Bible says about the subject, the preponderance of evidence is vastly skewed on the side of annihilation.

Here’s another text.
HE WHO HAS THE SON HAS LIFE.

Like John 3, the gift is ETERNAL LIFE.

Are you going to be eisegetical and qualify that too?

Such as: Well, it doesn’t really mean LIFE, it is referring to a KIND of life.

I would agree that it is implicit that the life that will be had will be glorious, but I also assert that it means just what it says.

He who has the Son has LIFE.

He who has not the Son, in an ultimate sense, has NOT LIFE.

Period.

But, I expect you will be eisegetical again. Qualify away!

God Bless…

Tony (o2)

C

cirisme

I don't have to add anything to the Bible to say "Not to be physically":

"But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death." -Revelation 21:8

Death is not the end of anyone. It's the end of the physical life, where we will greet eternal life or eternal death. Eternal life being with God(since God is life) and eternal death being away from Him.(since God is life)

And if we look elsewhere to see what the Bible says about the subject, the preponderance of evidence is vastly skewed on the side of annihilation.

Then you won't have any problem showing me atleast 5, preferably more, passages that clearly supports your possition.

o2bwise

How Clear Is Clear Enough?

How Clear Is Clear Enough?

Howdy cirisme,

A quickie during lunch.

You wrote:
I don't have to add anything to the Bible to say "Not to be physically":

"But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death." -Revelation 21:8

Death is not the end of anyone. It's the end of the physical life, where we will greet eternal life or eternal death. Eternal life being with God(since God is life) and eternal death being away from Him.(since God is life)

Help me out here. I am assuming you are asserting that Rev 21:8 somehow is saying the destruction is only physical. Where is this stated in the above verse.

Throw something in a fire – and it is destroyed. If I take a chair and toss it in a fire, it is destroyed.

Or are you suggesting that a part of man naturally survives death of his body? Where can I find evidence of this? The more one impairs another’s brain, the more that person’s consciousness has been impacted. Give a guy a frontal lobotomy and he doesn’t think like before. Place his brain in a literal fire, burn it to a crisp, and he ain’t gonna be able to think at all!

You wrote:
Then you won't have any problem showing me atleast 5, preferably more, passages that clearly supports your possition.

Well, I think you will never be satisfied that any verse is clear enough. You have just stated that being dead is inclusive of one’s consciousness being alive so even that, apparently, isn’t clear enough.

But, I’ll supply a couple verses off the top of my head. Meanwhile, can you supply the five verses that seem clearest to you in support of your view?

Obadiah 15,16
15 "For the day of the Lord upon all the nations is near; As you have done, it shall be done to you; Your reprisal shall return upon your own head. 16 For as you drank on my holy mountain, So shall all the nations drink continually; Yes, they shall drink, and swallow, And they shall be as though they had never been.

Psalm 6:5
For in death there is no remembrance of You; In the grave who will give You thanks?

Psalm 37:10-11
For yet a little while and the wicked shall be no more; Indeed, you will look carefully for his place, But it shall be no more.
But the meek shall inherit the earth, And shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

Psalm 37:20
But the wicked shall perish; And the enemies of the Lord, Like the splendor of the meadows, shall vanish. Into smoke they shall vanish away.

Malachi 4:1-3
1 "For behold, the day is coming, Burning like an oven, And all the proud, yes, all who do wickedly will be stubble. And the day which is coming shall burn them up," Says the Lord of hosts, "That will leave them neither root nor branch. 2 But to you who fear My name The Sun of Righteousness shall arise With healing in His wings; And you shall go out And grow fat like stall-fed calves. 3 You shall trample the wicked, For they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet On the day that I do this," Says the Lord of hosts.

Matthew 10:28
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Back to work…

God Bless,

Tony

C

cirisme

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I started to last night and then got distracted....

Or are you suggesting that a part of man naturally survives death of his body? Where can I find evidence

of this? The more one impairs another’s brain, the more that person’s consciousness has been impacted. Give

a guy a frontal lobotomy and he doesn’t think like before. Place his brain in a literal fire, burn it to a crisp, and he

ain’t gonna be able to think at all!

There's a big difference between what you said and what I said. You say consciousness, I say soul. I beleive

that when you die, you go unconscious until the great white throne judgment. Do you believe in the soul? You

should, or your arguement is futile. The soul is the part of us that communes with God. If that commune is

destroyed, the soul is destroyed, leaving only the spirit(which is us). So, I suppose we can agree that hell will

destroy the soul, while leaving the spirit.(which is what the quoted indicates)

In Hades, he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and saw Abraham far off, and Lazarus at his bosom.

-Mattew 16:23

If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having

your two hands to go into Gehenna,[a common name for hell] into the unquenchable fire,
'where their worm doesn't die, and the fire is not quenched.'
If your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life lame, rather than having your two

feet to be cast into Gehenna, into the fire that will never be quenched--
'where their worm doesn't die, and the fire is not quenched.'
If your eye causes you to stumble, cast it out. It is better for you to enter into the Kingdom of God with one eye,

rather than having two eyes to be cast into the Gehenna of fire,
'where their worm doesn't die, and the fire is not quenched.' -Mark 9:43-48

But I tell you, that everyone who is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the

judgment; and whoever shall say to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council; and whoever shall say,

'You fool!' shall be in danger of the fire of Gehenna. -Matthew 5:22

If your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off, and throw it away from you: for it is profitable for you that

one of your members should perish, and not your whole body be thrown into Gehenna. -Matthew 5:30

But I will warn you whom you should fear. Fear him, who after he has killed, has power to cast into

Gehenna. Yes, I tell you, fear him. -Luke 12:5

Matthew 10:28
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to [notice

that it doesn't say "will"]
destroy both soul and body in hell.

AVmetro

BANNED
Banned
o2

o2

Hey o2!

Got an answer for my 'Daniel' post? Just curious. Everybody seemed to skip over it ;) .

God bless,
Jeremiah L.G.

Last edited:
C

cirisme

Still waiting for an answer o2!

If I have to bump this one more time....
I'm PMing o2.

o2bwise

Hi cirisme,

I'll get to ya. Weekends are hard.

Speaking of weekends, here's hoping "you and yours" are having a blessed one!:)

God Bless Ya...

Tony

P.S. And the same goes to you, AV! By the way, I don't know what Daniel verse you are referring to. Finally, can you respond to my post to you in the Trinity thread? With scripture + reason?

AVmetro

BANNED
Banned
o2

o2

Hey!

That would be my post on page 3 of this thread on touching Dan12:2.

Have a great weekend. Believe me, I work two jobs and have a family, so I know what it means to be worn out ;)

I'll get to your post after Ev's , agage's , and CD's .......

I'm not putting you off, just these people are ravenous :) .

God bless you in all you do,
Jeremiah L.G.

o2bwise

Please Give Thought To The Light Bulb Analogy

Please Give Thought To The Light Bulb Analogy

Hi cirisme,

Say, I am thankful for the cordiality of our more recent exchange. I needed to step back and be reminded that our differences ought not be any cause for either of us being a stumbling block or for any harsh feeling. Christ loves you so much that He died for you. Ought I not have the same mind?

OK…

There's a big difference between what you said and what I said. You say consciousness, I say soul. I beleive

that when you die, you go unconscious until the great white throne judgment. Do you believe in the soul?

Yes, I do, cirisme. However, there is a fundamental difference in how we view the nature of man so I will explain with a rough analogy.

Consider a light bulb. It is made up of hardware. If it is given electricity, it has certain qualities such as illumination and heat.

I believe man is much like the light bulb. I believe illumination and heat can represent aspects of man’s consciousness, the thinking and feeling part of man. His personality.

Here is the main reason I use the light bulb analogy.

Light and heat do not survive the destruction of the bulb itself, i.e. the physical part of the bulb, the hardware.

The main bone of contention I have with the common understanding of the nature of man, is that it believes man can be split up into its separate components. Like you could cut man up and have the spirit over here, the physical part over there, and the soul in some other place.

I don’t think it works that way. I see man as a unit that has a few wondrous qualities. He feels, he loves, he has powers of intellect, but they don’t survive the destruction of the brain, for example.

Cirisme, that really is the crux of our seeing things differently. You believe aspects of man can be completely severed from other aspects – and they can live.

Using the light bulb as an analogy, I believe if one were to put a sledgehammer to the hardware, light and heat would not survive as independent attributes.

You should, or your arguement is futile. The soul is the part of us that communes with God. If that commune is destroyed, the soul is destroyed, leaving only the spirit(which is us). So, I suppose we can agree that hell will destroy the soul, while leaving the spirit.(which is what the quoted indicates)

The following is what I think the quote illustrates. People have gone to the grave with faith intact. They died, but in their last dying breath, there was a reassurance of the resurrection. When dead, all of him was dead.

The fire of God’s love will have the following effect on a lost person. The fire will reveal his immoral state as in a moment. NO VEIL. Such a person will be consumed with guilt. He will respond to that burden with an intractable despair. This will be the final IDENTITY of his person.

His “soul” is destroyed “in the fires of hell.”

I don’t even think it’s really talking about whether or not consciousness is destroyed because of fire. I don’t think it’s really a treatise on the nature of man – in terms of clearly laying out that when man dies in the physical sense, man is indeed dead – all of him. I think it is simply saying the following…

Don’t be so concerned about that which can destroy your physical body. Rather be more concerned with that which can destroy your very identity (your soul).

Now you mentioned the fire that cannot be quenched and the verse referring to the worm that does not die.

Speaking of the unquenchable fire…

Song of Solomon 8:6-7
. 6 The Shulamite to Her Beloved Set me as a seal upon your heart, As a seal upon your arm; For love is as strong as death, Jealousy as cruel as the grave; F13 Its flames are flames of fire, A most vehement F14 flame. 7 Many waters cannot quench love, Nor can the floods drown it. If a man would give for love All the wealth of his house, It would be utterly despised.

Now, one might think this verse is not applicable to “unquenchable fire.” However, as we are instructed to “compare spiritual with spiritual” and “line upon line, here a little, there a little,” this verse is common to both FIRE and UNQUENCHABLE.

An unquenchable fire need not mean that something burns forever (like a chair). It does need to mean that the fire never stops.

And that is true of God’s love. For all eternity, “God is love” and that reality will never be quenched (put out).

Regarding “worm,” that verse is pretty cryptic. Personally, I don’t see it as forcing a whole lot of doctrine. “Worm does not die,” what does that mean? I read of an explanation that seems possible. The context is a picture of vast DEATH. One of the most striking portrayels of massive death is war, as an example. WWI is a good example, with all the trench warfare. After the conclusion of a battle, one could see thousands upon thousands of dead bodies, lying in the ground and decomposing. One would also see worms.

It is not a metaphor used to indicate any kind of life at all. I don’t think the point is that there will be worms “in hell.” The point is, the Bible is simply taking highly peculiar imagery that is powerful in terms of what it conveys. And that is an appalling scene of massive death.

To summarize, cirisme, I don’t see that the passages you cited need point to the ideas you hold.

And I think the lamp bulb analogy I posed strikes at a jugular with respect to where some of the most fundamental differences lie.

God Bless,

Tony

o2bwise

Everlasting Contempt

Everlasting Contempt

Hi AV,

Gotta get to work, but to quickly explain the idea of "everlasting contempt," there are other possibilities.

Take a guy like Stalin who it appears was an absolute monster. He need not live forever in order for the record of his life to be eternal. A zillion years from now, sinless beings could discuss the horribleness of sin and as an example describe the life of Stalin. They could shake their heads in contempt for the incredible evil of that life.

Everlasting contempt.

Absolutely.

Doesn't mean Stalin has to live forever in order for the record of his life to elicit revulsion for an eternity.

Tony

C

cirisme

I will respond, o2, soon. I'll do some Biblical research and post my reply very soon.

In Him,
-AJ

AVmetro

BANNED
Banned
o2bwise

o2bwise

Everlasting Contempt
Hi AV,

Gotta get to work, but to quickly explain the idea of "everlasting contempt," there are other possibilities.

Take a guy like Stalin who it appears was an absolute monster. He need not live forever in order for the record of his life to be eternal. A zillion years from now, sinless beings could discuss the horribleness of sin and as an example describe the life of Stalin. They could shake their heads in contempt for the incredible evil of that life.

Everlasting contempt.

Absolutely.

Doesn't mean Stalin has to live forever in order for the record of his life to elicit revulsion for an eternity.

Tony

There's a problem with the theology however; there will be no contempt in heaven. It is stated in the Dan text that it is the dead RAISED who will suffer the everlasting contempt.

Let me ask you a few questions, answer each individually with a one or two sentence answer in order to lay the basis for a methodical discussion:

1.) Must sin be punished? Consider the fact that God is a PERFECTLY JUST GOD. Let's take satan for example; a being whom has no remorse for his actions. Must his sin be punished?

2.) Can the blood of animals (i.e. sacrifice) take away sin?

3.) Can the death of the sinner take away the sin?

4.) Can good works take away sin?

5.) Do you agree that ONLY the blood of Jesus can take away sin?

6.) Do you agree, according to the above, that when a man dies once, without Christ that his sin remains unpunished?

btw I found that NWT (rejoice)!!! :D

God bless...

C

cirisme

AV said,
btw I found that NWT (rejoice)!!!

I'm rejoicing! :D

o2 said,
Say, I am thankful for the cordiality of our more recent exchange. I needed to step back and be reminded that our differences ought not be any cause for either of us being a stumbling block or for any harsh feeling. Christ loves you so much that He died for you. Ought I not have the same mind?

I am thankful for this as well. Although, I notice you make it sound like I'm the hard one to love... ;)

Yes, I do, cirisme. However, there is a fundamental difference in how we view the nature of man so I will explain with a rough analogy.

Consider a light bulb. It is made up of hardware. If it is given electricity, it has certain qualities such as illumination and heat.

I believe man is much like the light bulb. I believe illumination and heat can represent aspects of man’s consciousness, the thinking and feeling part of man. His personality.

Here is the main reason I use the light bulb analogy.

Light and heat do not survive the destruction of the bulb itself, i.e. the physical part of the bulb, the hardware.

When the lightbulb is destroyed, light and heat are not destroyed. Indeed, the lightbulb can no longer produce these things, but they still exist. Do they not? Now, this is where you might begin arguing that it's not the same light, my response to that would be, "Well, is a light bulb ever continuasly producing the same light?" The answer would be no. Let's try a different analogy. I have a glass of milk. Being the clutz I am, I drop it and the glass breaks. The milk continues to exist, but the glass can not contain it any longer.

That's the way it is with our bodies. We have a physical body which is the "glass" that contains our spirit, us. When our glass breaks, the milk leaves and it must go somewhere. If that "milk" was close to God in relationship, then it will spend eternity close to God. If that milk was seperated from God when the glass broke, it will spend eternity away from God.

"There was a certain rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and fared sumptuously every day. 20But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate, desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table. Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. -Luke 16:19-23

Jesus indicated that we are indeed made up of many things:

"....Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." -Matthew 26:41