ARCHIVE: Lying is never righteous!

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear Hank:
You have consistently believed that I miss you point when I see your point exactly, I just disagree.
You keep skimming the point… it is more than mere disagreement that you don’t “get it.”
If I state that I believe lying is always wrong, I may be wrong about that fact that lying is always wrong but it is an absolute.
And if I state that immoral deception is always wrong, I may be wrong about that fact, but it is an absolute as well.
My argument with you is not based on the Bible or anything other than the fact that if you can’t define the line where something crosses from being moral to immoral, then it’s not absolute.
Whether or not something is absolute or not does not depend upon my ability to explain or define it. I have said already here that morality and absolutes are akin to mathematics.. they are not invented, they are discovered and exist independently of any human consensus as to their proper application or existence. I never said I could not define the line where something (anything by implication in your statement) is moral or immoral. However, for me to explain every situation or even a partial list of possible scenarios on deception would require me to write a dissertation, and sorry my friend, the only subject that I write dissertations on is eschatology. I can simply define my position on deception by stating that people should be straightforward and truthful unless there is a more weighty and compelling moral reason not to be so. This is not so difficult.
You state that I may not be a moral relativist. Then you state that I really am a moral relativist if I was just smart enough to understand it like you do. Then you state something about all moral relativist becoming absolutists when their car is stolen. What are you talking about?
Apparently you’re not smart enough to understand it like I do ;) What I was saying, and again, you will probably find this offensive, but you are practicing cognitive dissidence and have not taken your ideas to their logical conclusion which would be a species of moral relativism. Because you have not done that, you are not a moral relativist but rather an inconsistent moral reasoner. I further said, though, that not even self-avowed (admitted) moral relativists can live out that idea consistently as demonstrated by their sense of violation when someone robs them. They understand that such robbery is objectively wrong.
Want to explain to me why the HS is not an outside source and the Bible is an outside source?
Correction to my prior statement… Knight and I are basing our beliefs on an outside objective and verifiable source.
Are you trying to tell me that your interpretation of the Bible is not subjective or your opinion? If not are you trying to tell me that your interpretation of the Bible is the only correct one?
Again, you are engaging in some major “missing the point.” My interpretation of the Bible may be incorrect, but only I have a leg to stand to say that. You can never say that anyone’s interpretation is incorrect because your only judge is a subjective spiritual experience. Because I believe that the Bible actually universally and objectively says something, someone like Knight can come to me and we can examine the Scriptures and attempts to “discover” what it objectively says. The fact that I believe that there is a correct interpretation (and recognize that mine may be incorrect) is the one thing that makes debates and discourse meaningful rather than exercises in navel contemplation.

And why is the HS not grounds to declare morality incorrect and your interpretation of the Bible the only grounds for declaring someone else’s morality incorrect?
Because you have nothing outside of your subjective spiritual experience with which to test what this alleged spirit is telling you. And all I have to do is claim that my “spirit” is telling me something different, and then you have the Holy Spirit contradicting Himself.

You are the one that is arguing with everyone else what the correct interpretation of the Bible is. Obviously what it means to you is not what it means to someone else.

And everyone here except you understands that one or all of us is wrong, and that is it not open to private and contradictory interpretation.

I have said all along that lying is wrong. White lies are wrong, big lies are wrong, medium lies are wrong, it’s wrong all the time. You tell me that I believe in moral relativism and you are the one that is arguing when lying is wrong and when it isn’t. What’s wrong with this picture?

You have a caricature of what absolutism is. The absolutism that you have painted is not Biblical, but then again you don’t believe that there can be anything that is absolutely Biblical, and that is what logically would make you a relativist. You cannot say that that lying is wrong all the time for me, for if my subjective spiritual experience has taught me otherwise, you have nothing to appeal to in order to show that I am wrong.

Hank

You keep skimming the point… it is more than mere disagreement that you don’t “get it.”

No it’s not. You just have trouble understanding logic. In my business you have to be logical or you’re in jail.

And if I state that immoral deception is always wrong, I may be wrong about that fact, but it is an absolute as well.

Deception is immoral. Immoral deception is an oxymoron.

Whether or not something is absolute or not does not depend upon my ability to explain or define it. I have said already here that morality and absolutes are akin to mathematics.. they are not invented, they are discovered and exist independently of any human consensus as to their proper application or existence.

That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you. You are still trying to discover morality? LOL

I never said I could not define the line where something (anything by implication in your statement) is moral or immoral. However, for me to explain every situation or even a partial list of possible scenarios on deception would require me to write a dissertation, and sorry my friend, the only subject that I write dissertations on is eschatology. I can simply define my position on deception by stating that people should be straightforward and truthful unless there is a more weighty and compelling moral reason not to be so. This is not so difficult.

You are so right. It’s not difficult at all. As soon as you start talking about weighing morals against each other you become a relativist. You start sliding all over the place.

Apparently you’re not smart enough to understand it like I do. What I was saying, and again, you will probably find this offensive, but you are practicing cognitive dissidence and have not taken your ideas to their logical conclusion which would be a species of moral relativism. Because you have not done that, you are not a moral relativist but rather an inconsistent moral reasoner. I further said, though, that not even self-avowed (admitted) moral relativists can live out that idea consistently as demonstrated by their sense of violation when someone robs them. They understand that such robbery is objectively wrong.

It is wrong. Oh I forgot, unless there is some compelling moral reason to rob. LOL

Correction to my prior statement… Knight and I are basing our beliefs on an outside objective and verifiable source.

Verifiable source. Give me a break. Tell me DD, how do you verify that God told people to commit genocide?

You have a caricature of what absolutism is. The absolutism that you have painted is not Biblical, but then again you don’t believe that there can be anything that is absolutely Biblical, and that is what logically would make you a relativist. You cannot say that that lying is wrong all the time for me, for if my subjective spiritual experience has taught me otherwise, you have nothing to appeal to in order to show that I am wrong.

I did not disagree that my beliefs come from a subjective spiritual experience. But yours also come from a subjective interpretation of the Bible. All beliefs are subjective. Not only can you not prove the Bible is the word of God but even if you could you can not prove your interpretation of it is it is correct. But I understand that you need your interpretation of the Bible to prove that your relative morality is not relative. For with your interpretation of the Bible backing you up, you can prove anything you want to. Whenever you don’t agree with something you can just point to something in the Bible and say see it says it right here. I was right.

D

Dee Dee Warren

No it’s not. You just have trouble understanding logic. In my business you have to be logical or you’re in jail.

Think what you will. I let the readers judge then for themselves. I am glad that I don't have a job where lack of logic constitutes a criminal offense.

Deception is immoral. Immoral deception is an oxymoron.

So are you saying it is immoral for a sports player to deceive his opponent about his next play? Are you saying it is immoral to play a practical joke on someone which involved a temporary deception? Are you saying it is immoral for a woman to wear a girdle?

That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you. You are still trying to discover morality? LOL

Nice way to polemically twist my words.. but you have done a lot of that haven't you??

You are so right. It’s not difficult at all. As soon as you start talking about weighing morals against each other you become a relativist. You start sliding all over the place.

I have already repeatedly defeated that point. You cannot weigh anything unless there is an absolute scale that is the plumb line. You don't understand what relativism is, and refuse to be educated on it.

It is wrong. Oh I forgot, unless there is some compelling moral reason to rob. LOL

You can't think of one? Shame on you.

Verifiable source. Give me a break. Tell me DD, how do you verify that God told people to commit genocide?

[sarcasm]The Holy Spirit told me, prove that He didn't.[/sarcasm]

I did not disagree that my beliefs come from a subjective spiritual experience. But yours also come from a subjective interpretation of the Bible. All beliefs are subjective. Not only can you not prove the Bible is the word of God but even if you could you can not prove your interpretation of it is it is correct. But I understand that you need your interpretation of the Bible to prove that your relative morality is not relative. For with your interpretation of the Bible backing you up, you can prove anything you want to. Whenever you don’t agree with something you can just point to something in the Bible and say see it says it right here. I was right.

If all beliefs are subjective there would not be a need for the word "objective" in the English language. There also would not be an English language for that matter for my "belief" about what the letters on this computer screen mean would simply be my subjective belief. You are self-implosive.

bill betzler

From Dee Dee

Hank, as a Christian, I agree with your understanding that all lying is wrong and I come to that conclusion only from the scriptures. If I didn't have the scriptures I would agree with Dee Dee, for the scriptures are our source for moral absolutes.

But to understand biblical moral absoluteness we must first believe that nothing is more important than pleasing and obeying God, even if it costs us our lives and the lives of loved ones. It is an area that many christians need to grow in. Self sacrifice and abasement is often a natural outcome in trusting in the lord. But our flesh hates it and for many christians self sacrifice is too high a cost to pay for salvation because the cares of this world are just more important.

We all get excited when we see the faith of Abraham when he is willing to sacrifice Isaac. But for many of us today, we easily lie to think that we preserve; our image of ourselves, or our jobs, or anything that causes us to move toward sacrifice and away from exaltation.

Dee Dee is right in that the truth is in the scriptures, and there is no better teacher than the HS.

Hank

Bill I started to copy your post and reply to each part. But while reading I found I agreed with you on all of it. However you and I tend to agree on a lot even though we come from slightly different perspectives in my view. I have a feeling you would say a very different perspective.

Dee Dee is right in that the truth is in the scriptures, and there is no better teacher than the HS.

Again I agree completely with that statement. Where I’m pretty sure you and I differ is that I don’t believe everything in the Bible is the word of God. But I believe the word of God is there and must be dug out with the guidance of the HS.

bill betzler

Hi Hank, Yes I do believe the whole KJB to be the word of God by subjective faith. A faith that has been founded on God always proving to me that the scriptures are true. Unfortunately you can not just pass that on to all people.

I am curious about you though. Why all the interest in the bible when you are not a christian? You are the first person that I recall that doesn't claim to be a christian, yet asks the HS to guide you in understanding. Additionally, it is Jesus who tells us that teaching is one of the functions of the HS but to believers.

bill

Hank

Hi Bill

I am curious about you though. Why all the interest in the bible when you are not a christian?

Probably because I was raised in a devout Christian family and the Bible was the main influence in my beliefs about God.

You are the first person that I recall that doesn't claim to be a christian, yet asks the HS to guide you in understanding.

I think you might be surprised at the number of people I have run across that have beliefs similar to mine. I was greatly influenced by the book “The Peaceable Kingdom”. It is a book about the beginnings and history of the Quaker faith. You may already know this but the Quaker beliefs, although a Christian belief, depends heavily on the HS.

Additionally, it is Jesus who tells us that teaching is one of the functions of the HS but to believers.

Which is why I believe so strongly in the guidance of the HS. As I have already stated I believe in the teachings of Jesus. But obviously Jesus taught before the dogma of the Christian religion was established.

bill betzler

Hi Hank,

I think you might be surprised at the number of people I have run across that have beliefs similar to mine. I was greatly influenced by the book “The Peaceable Kingdom”. It is a book about the beginnings and history of the Quaker faith. You may already know this but the Quaker beliefs, although a Christian belief, depends heavily on the HS.

I am surprised and I didn't know about the Quakers and the HS. Unless they're the group that got their name from rolling on the floors. Then I heard that much of the story. :)

I thought though that Quakers believed in Jesus as saviour. Yes,no?? Why not you? It appears that you kept the morals.

Matt:
16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

How about Matt 16: 15-17, what does it say?

bill

Hank

I am surprised and I didn't know about the Quakers and the HS.

I didn’t mean to imply that there were a lot, especially exactly as I believe, just that I have run across more than I would have expected myself.

There are now two groups of Quakers. One group which is pretty much traditional Christian beliefs and services and the other group which maintains the original style of worship for Quakers. When I lived in Houston I had the privilege, for me, to attend the original style of worship. After a beginning fellowship we would set in chairs in a circle. Then everyone would become very quite and still as everyone begin to meditate on God. If someone felt the HS was leading them to say something, they would share it by speaking. It was then of course up to each person to decide if that was what the HS was saying to them. Many times no one said anything and about an hour was spent just silently praying in the fellowship of others. I think those were the best ones for me as I felt very close to God during those times. For me it was a very moving experience.

Unless they're the group that got their name from rolling on the floors. Then I heard that much of the story.

Actually the name was given to them by outsiders who attended some of the services when people would “quake” during the services. They felt they were quaking before the Lord. Maybe some of them did roll on the floor but that’s not what quaking refers to.

I thought though that Quakers believed in Jesus as saviour. Yes,no??

George Fox, an Englishman, started the Quaker movement and I think most people would say was most noted for being a pacifist and abolitionist. And yes he was a Christian and believed in the Bible as most Quakers do.

Why not you?

Although as I said I was greatly influenced by their history, the HS did not lead me to believe exactly as they did. My journey was long and difficult. It is very difficult to break away from beliefs ingrained from in you from your early childhood.

It appears that you kept the morals.

It would be more correct to say I believe in the morals. Keeping them is much more difficult.

I will say that I feel a very close attachment in spirit to many of the posters here at TOL like yourself even though we do not believe the same. I don’t believe the reverse is true because of my rejection of the belief that Jesus is the son of God. However I understand that and it does not offend me.

As for the verses you quoted, I could go into the meaning of the original Greek words as I have seen done many times. However I am not a Greek or Hebrew scholar and even if I was I don’t believe that would mean that much compared to how I feel about prayer and the witness of the HS. I will just say that I believe the basic message of Jesus has been preserved even though mankind has tried to slant that message towards the ruling powers particular beliefs through the ages. And not only the witness of the HS, but the evidence of God’s power when using those principles taught by Jesus has been demonstrated. Even for those that did not believe in the Christian religion such as Gandhi, the power of Gods word when applied to everyday life was there.

bill betzler

Hi Hank.

I believe the principles are there for all to live by and then for societies to enjoy their fruit. But that still brings you up short on eternal life. No concerns about that?

bill

D

Dee Dee Warren

I have no right to complain as this is not my thread, but I have devoted a lot of time to it, and this is going way off topic.

Hank

I believe the principles are there for all to live by and then for societies to enjoy their fruit. But that still brings you up short on eternal life. No concerns about that?

I have a strong belief in a loving God and that my eternal life is secure in his hands.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Yes most threads do, and that is unfortunate since a new thread can always be started on the new topic rather than having each thread careen off topic.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Something I find interesting, that struck me while writing a post on abortion, is how our own concepts of "rights" recognize the hiercharcy of morals that we all know inuitively as true.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident... that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

Really? Well I don't see any exceptions there in that statement.. but of course there are. I am not allowed to kill you even if that is how I say I pursue happiness. If I do kill you, then I no longer have the right to liberty.

bill betzler

Your killing me Dee Dee. :) Hey there was a lull in the converation so I just asked Hank a few questions, no big deal.

The hierarchy of moral values. Sounds good to me. You actually made a good point when you said that we need to balance the sin of lying with mercy. God loves mercy. After all David did illegally eat the showbread and Jesus did consider that ok for the mercy reasoning. I dare say though that most lies done in the name of mercy (the maybe ok Nazis type thing) will actually be done for selfish reasons. E.g., I lied to my spouse because I din't want to hurt her feelings about that affair I had. Such mercy.

bill betzler

"We hold these truths to be self-evident... that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

I bet you can't find anything scriptural in that.
:)

Hank

Really? Well I don't see any exceptions there in that statement.. but of course there are. I am not allowed to kill you even if that is how I say I pursue happiness. If I do kill you, then I no longer have the right to liberty.

DD are you seriously using this as an example of a hiercharcy of morals?

Jaltus

Hi all, I am back from vacation, but have limited time for the next week or so (multiple presentations, a 20 page paper, a final to write for my class to take, grading, etc).

Knight,

You asked me about your post which said:
I have already dealt with Luke 12, why do you keep claiming I haven't?

But let me deal with Luke 12 in yet ANOTHER way.

Luke 12 in NO WAY relates to a specific situation where a wicked force can be thwarted by a lie or by deception (same thing). Also Luke 12 in NO WAY relates to a specific situation in where other lives are at stake i.e., The Hebrew midwives, the hiding Jewish family or the crazed man who wants to kill your kids.

Luke 12 does not relate to these dilemmas does it Jaltus?
My response, as I mentioned, was 5 posts below it:
Knight,

8 "I tell you, whoever acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man will also acknowledge him before the angels of God.
9 But he who disowns me before men will be disowned before the angels of God.

WHOEVER is not a limited word, it really means whoever. That means if anyone denies Christ before men, then Christ will deny Him. How can you say it does not pertain? There is no limitation on this scripture.

(literally it is "the one who denies me," which is also not limited in scope, it is a nominalized participle)
The point of my post is that Luke 12 does in fact relate to all "denials" of Jesus, be they false or true. Remember, church history states quite clearly that the "CHURCH" believed that any denial of Christ meant a loss of salvation, some to the point that they believed you needed to be baptized again since you obviously were not saved "for real" the first time.

The people who denied Christ said they were doing so only to save themselves or other people. The "CHURCH" rejected that idea. This was one of the scriptures cited as to why they rejected that (IIRC).