ARCHIVE: Lying is never righteous!

D

Dee Dee Warren

Have you every thought about why you feel it is necessary for you to defend Knight? Just a thought.

Hmm, Knight... did you know that?? I think that would be a shocker to you... LOLOLOL

Hank

Hank can you clarify for me...

Are you a Christian?

No. My theology is that I believe in the teachings of Jesus as I understand them through prayer, fasting and the interpretation of the holy spirit.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Hank

No. My theology is that I believe in the teachings of Jesus as I understand them through prayer, fasting and the interpretation of the holy spirit.
Interesting.....

Freak

Hank, would you like to know the love of Jesus Christ personally?

Hank

I already do Freak. But thanks for your interest.

BTW although I think you often turn people off by your attitude, I admire your commitment to your beliefs.

Freak

I already do Freak. But thanks for your interest.

BTW although I think you often turn people off by your attitude, I admire your commitment to your beliefs.

Appreciate it my friend!

bill betzler

And according to Jaltus that is not sinful. But I also disagree though that it was not a lie... reread the dictionary definitions once again, particular the one from Webster's that I posted.

Dee Dee, the bible is quite clear that defrauding someone is a sin.

bill betzler

Well Hank you confused me with your testimonial response. Your not a christian, yet you have a personal relationship with Jesus and are led in your biblical understandings by the HS.

So are you a post OT and pre--when the word christian was first used-- person?

Hank

Bill I'm not sure what you are asking me but I do not call myself a Christian because I do not believe Jesus was the son of God or a Christ as I understand Christians believe. I read the Bible and ask that the HS guide me to an understanding of what is being said.

Looking back at my response to Freak after your question it was probably inaccurate in the sense of what Freak was trying to ask me. I just made a quick response and did not notice that he used the word Christ in his question.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dee Dee, the bible is quite clear that defrauding someone is a sin.

I agree. Convince Jaltus of that. According to him, as long as you do it by telling a technical truth its peachey.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Hank... I have to apologize in one way, and you may get offended, but it is not intended that way. I will tie up the loose ends of our conversation but I do not think we have any common ground to argue the points. I, as a general rule (ask the pagans here), do not debate nonChristians, especially on issues where what the Bible says must be foundational to our answer, as in this issue. I was operating under the belief (my bad) that you were a Christian.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Hank, with all due respect, you have once again completely missed my point when I stated that your stance (if taken to its logical conclusion) because it is absolutely subjective, does lead to moral relativism. You may not be a moral relativist, but that would only prove that you are inconsistent in following through your position to its logical conclusion. In fact, that is true to an extent of all moral relativists, they all of a sudden become absolutists when someone steals their car.
You claim:
There is a difference between subjective and relativistic.
Not in this discussion there isn’t it. Knight and I are basing our morality on an outside source… the Bible. We believe that the Bible actually does mean something that is not dependant upon our subjective experiences or opinions. You don’t believe that, thus, the Bible can mean anything, and you have no grounds to declare any one else’s morality incorrect. That would simply be your opinion. That is exactly what moral relativism teaches. What may be wrong for you, may not be wrong for me. That is the same principle you apply to Biblical interpreation… what this passages means for you, it may not mean it for me, and within your system that is perfectly peachy. In the worldview of myself and Knight, the Bible means something that is outside of ourselves and is binding upon everyone, whether or not they recognize it.

Hank

Hank, with all due respect, you have once again completely missed my point when I stated that your stance (if taken to its logical conclusion) because it is absolutely subjective, does lead to moral relativism.

You have consistently believed that I miss you point when I see your point exactly, I just disagree. If I state that I believe lying is always wrong, I may be wrong about that fact that lying is always wrong but it is an absolute. My argument with you is not based on the Bible or anything other than the fact that if you can’t define the line where something crosses from being moral to immoral, then it’s not absolute. I don’t care what you base it on. You have yet to answer my question about how something can be absolute when you can’t define the absolute.

You may not be a moral relativist, but that would only prove that you are inconsistent in following through your position to its logical conclusion. In fact, that is true to an extent of all moral relativists, they all of a sudden become absolutists when someone steals their car.

You state that I may not be a moral relativist. Then you state that I really am a moral relativist if I was just smart enough to understand it like you do. Then you state something about all moral relativist becoming absolutists when their car is stolen. What are you talking about?

Not in this discussion there isn’t it. Knight and I are basing our morality on an outside source… the Bible.

Want to explain to me why the HS is not an outside source and the Bible is an outside source?

We believe that the Bible actually does mean something that is not dependant upon our subjective experiences or opinions.

Are you trying to tell me that your interpretation of the Bible is not subjective or your opinion? If not are you trying to tell me that your interpretation of the Bible is the only correct one?

You don’t believe that, thus, the Bible can mean anything, and you have no grounds to declare any one else’s morality incorrect.

And why is the HS not grounds to declare morality incorrect and your interpretation of the Bible the only grounds for declaring someone else’s morality incorrect?

That would simply be your opinion. That is exactly what moral relativism teaches. What may be wrong for you, may not be wrong for me. That is the same principle you apply to Biblical interpreation… what this passages means for you, it may not mean it for me, and within your system that is perfectly peachy. In the worldview of myself and Knight, the Bible means something that is outside of ourselves and is binding upon everyone, whether or not they recognize it.

You are the one that is arguing with everyone else what the correct interpretation of the Bible is. Obviously what it means to you is not what it means to someone else. I have said all along that lying is wrong. White lies are wrong, big lies are wrong, medium lies are wrong, it’s wrong all the time. You tell me that I believe in moral relativism and you are the one that is arguing when lying is wrong and when it isn’t. What’s wrong with this picture?

You are right about one thing DD. I depend on the HS to guide me. I believe that Jesus taught that if you asked, the HS would do exactly that.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear Hank:

Judging by all you deny, you are being led by the wrong spirit. We are to test all spirits... well how in the world are we to do that, if there is not a test that is objective?? There is no way. We are to test all things in light of the Scriptures which you do not believe are meant to communicate definite things for all people, but rather each person can have his own private interpretation (seems to be the Bible said something about that too... but then again you have to believe the Bible really says something objective to understand that).

Hank

Judging by all you deny, you are being led by the wrong spirit. We are to test all spirits... well how in the world are we to do that, if there is not a test that is objective?? There is no way. We are to test all things in light of the Scriptures which you do not believe are meant to communicate definite things for all people, but rather each person can have his own private interpretation (seems to be the Bible said something about that too... but then again you have to believe the Bible really says something objective to understand that).

You have your own interpretation of the Bible DD. What makes your interpretation right?

BTW are you really saying you can’t debate absolute morality without using the Bible?