ARCHIVE: I believe religion to be obsolete

Aimiel

Originally posted by granite1010

"Read Dave Hunt, Hal Lindsay or Billy Graham."

These "authorities" are full of enough false predictions to write them off as the glad-handing buck-making sensationalists that they are.
The correctness of someone's premise often increases in direct proportion to the number of arguments against them. If you (an un-believer) recommend not reading these authors, they must be good. :thumb:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Aimiel

The correctness of someone's premise often increases in direct proportion to the number of arguments against them. If you (an un-believer) recommend not reading these authors, they must be good. :thumb:

Ah, I see. So Lindsay was just misled when he predicted the rapture in the mid Eighties...Graham and Hunt seemed to miss the boat as well. Cold War rah-rah paranoia, anyone?

Last edited:

Rolf Ernst

Most people who cite the warning by Jesus to not judge lest you be judged usually miss His real point.

It is not judging in that forbidden sense to declare to people what God has stated concerning wickedness. When we speak about moral issues on the basis of God's word, we are NOT judging. We are only RELAYING what God has said. God is the one who declared the judgement against certain forms of evil. We are only His messengers.
Those who dispute our RIGHT to relay God's message are making unjust judgements against us; and they would LOVE to tyrannize us so we could not be able to declare God's word. They are tyrants. Freedom did not begin through the people of the world, but through God and His people.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Rolf Ernst

Most people who cite the warning by Jesus to not judge lest you be judged usually miss His real point.
Read it as stated, you'll see his point was simple. Whatever measure you use to judge others may end up being applied to you...

It doesn't say who will judge you; it may be men...

It is not judging in that forbidden sense to declare to people what God has stated concerning wickedness. When we speak about moral issues on the basis of God's word, we are NOT judging. We are only RELAYING what God has said. God is the one who declared the judgement against certain forms of evil. We are only His messengers.
Then you should be prepared to be questioned and have his answers for those questions... my biggest problem is that I can't get ten Christians together in a discussion group and have them agree on any single topic that I find important. Yet they all claim to be telling me exactly what "God" says on the subject.

Those who dispute our RIGHT to relay God's message are making unjust judgements against us; and they would LOVE to tyrannize us so we could not be able to declare God's word. They are tyrants. Freedom did not begin through the people of the world, but through God and His people.
Perhaps some wish to tyrranize, but most just wish not to be pestered by seemingly self-righteous hypocrites as they go about their daily lives. It's bad enough we have to deal with politicians moralizing continuously to push their latest pet project down our throats... :ha:

Aimiel

Originally posted by Zakath

... my biggest problem is that I can't get ten Christians together in a discussion group and have them agree on any single topic that I find important.
You should get out more. Trying to get ten 'Christians' together in a discussion where they'll be real (instead of feigning religion) is next to impossible. Please keep in mind that many are called, but only few are chosen. Maybe none of the ones that you're calling to your groups have any relationship with The Lord, just as you never have. :chuckle:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Aimiel

You should get out more. Trying to get ten 'Christians' together in a discussion where they'll be real (instead of feigning religion) is next to impossible. Please keep in mind that many are called, but only few are chosen. Maybe none of the ones that you're calling to your groups have any relationship with The Lord, just as you never have. :chuckle:

So the possibility remains that most of the church is composed of poseurs and the deluded. That said, why should anyone pay attention to ANY professed Christian?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yeah? And which version of God should we tune into? Even you people can't agree on what he's saying.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by lighthouse

:think:

:idea: You should listen to God, and not man!
Brilliant idea, dimbulb. :chuckle:

The biggest problem with that idea is that "he ain't talkin'!" All we've got, it seems, is countless people like you all claiming to speak for him.

And how do we unbelievers discern which of the millions claiming to speak for "God" actually are accurately doing so?

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by :mock::zakath:

The biggest problem with that idea is that "he ain't talkin'!" All we've got, it seems, is countless people like you all claiming to speak for him.
He is, you're not listening.
And how do we unbelievers discern which of the millions claiming to speak for "God" actually are accurately doing so?

You don't. You unbelievers are just playing games. Haven't seen any one of you get serious yet. I take that back. Joe Stalin and Mao Tze Dong were pretty serious unbelievers. :eek:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Frank Ernest

You don't. You unbelievers are just playing games. Haven't seen any one of you get serious yet. I take that back. Joe Stalin and Mao Tze Dong were pretty serious unbelievers. :eek:

As I said: what version of the Christian God should we pay attention to? You people can't even agree on what he's saying, so why should an outsider waste his time listening to you, and trust his soul to what you say God's telling you?

Moreover...since even professing Christians will die and get the "I never knew you" treatment, it's entirely possible that many who are witnessing to nonbelievers--with the best intentions--are, in fact, deluded, misled, or perhaps just poseurs. So why should anyone listen to a word you people have to say?

By the way, predominantly Christian (and white) Europe produced Mussolini, Hitler, Franco, anti-semitism, and other charming atrocities, so the seriousness of Christian believers is self-evident throughout history.

Moving right along...

Jackielabby

Banned
Banned
Yeah, which god, Allah, the xian god, the god of Judaism? Pray, tell us which god. I once had an on-line conversation with a southern baptist who said that allah was the false god. Your thoughts, please.

Jackielabby

Banned
Banned
Originally posted by Frank Ernest

And Hitler and Mussolini were both believers.;)

Jackielabby

Banned
Banned
Originally posted by lighthouse

Who said we were afraid of queers?

And James 4:12 is speaking of Christians judging Christians, based on the law. Homos aren't Christians.
This from a christian 'queer' (your terminology):please...There is only one verse in the Bible that is unequivocally anti-male homosexual and that is even in questions. See the Oxford Annotated Study Bible...All of the clobber verses are not talking about homosexuality...

Sodom and Gomorrah...was going to be destroyed before men tried to rape angels. Story is a valediction against rape and violence.

Deuteronomy 23...This is talking about female and male prostitutes (shrine prostitutes). That is the proper translation of Qadesha and Qadesh...

Jude...I would say that chasing after angels to rape 'em is going after some pretty strange flesh.

Romans 1...Speaking about the excesses caused by Pagan worship and forgetting God. Not about homosexuality, per se. It is mentioned but only in a sense of promiscuity.

1Corinthians...Arsenokoitai is thought to be best translated as male prostitute. There were, in Koine Greek, words for homosexual behavior. Why didn't Paul use one of the standard and well known Greek words??? Why did he make up his own??? Probably because he wasn't speaking of gays, so much as male hookers.

Those people who say I am not a Christian because I am gay, aren't God and don't know the state of my heart and salvation. As Jesus said,"You judge by the outer appearance, but God judges the heart."

I am not promiscuous. I am a virgin. I want a serious committed relationship with a man...Which is more than I can say for most people within the body of Christ. I wonder how many times Mr. Lighthouse fornicated before he got married. I wonder if he ever gets drunk or has gotten drunk. Christians are supposed to judge the Brethren, but maybe they should clean up their own acts first. Maybe, too, they should get back to the Bible and learn a little something about the Gospel of Grace. Just a suggestion for Mr. Lighthouse.
taken from secularity.com

I especially agree with:
'Those people who say I am not a Christian because I am gay, aren't God and don't know the state of my heart and salvation. As Jesus said,"You judge by the outer appearance, but God judges the heart."

Granite

Hall of Fame
Here's a challenge: once the Christian church stops killing one another, disagreeing, refusing to fellowship, and can agree on a thing or two, then maybe the rest of the world would be more inclined to listen up. Remember that American Indians politely refused to listen to missionaries after seeing what Catholics and Protestants were doing to one another on the continent: if this is what your God does, we want no part of it.

You'll also remember what the good European Christian folks did to those stiff-necked pagans...

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

Yeah? And which version of God should we tune into? Even you people can't agree on what he's saying.
What part of, "Don't listen to men," do you not understand? Seek God, apart from religion, doctrine and dogma. That's what I did. You can do it too.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Zakath

Brilliant idea, dimbulb. :chuckle:

Read what I said to granite.:rolleyes: