ARCHIVE: I believe religion to be obsolete

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jackielabby

We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."
— Ann Coulter, conservative author
Flip side of Osama bin Laden. I love Annie!
"AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals."
— Jerry Falwell
Your point being?
"I want you to just let a wave of intolerance wash over you. I want you to let a wave of hatred wash over you. Yes, hate is good - Our goal is a Christian nation. We have a Biblical duty. We are called by God to conquer this country."
— Randall Terry
Was there any particular context involved here that you chose to ignore?
What charming people christians are!!!

I take it you are not Christian?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rolf Ernst

Granite--you don't think people who have no respect for the Bible while at the same time they presume to instruct others in it is somewhat schizoid?

That is similar to those people who on one day deny that Jesus ever existed, then they read th "Da Vinci code" and suddenly they not only know he existed, they know that he had a wife and at least one child.
Real rational folks, hmmm?

You refer to "religionists." Don't you realize that atheists are the most fanatically religious people on earth? Foe example, you don't find me on the forums of atheists hounding them. As a matter of fact, one forum stipulated "atheists only." I wondered why they would think anyone else would be interested in their fanatical religion anyway.

Somewhat schizoid? Here's a question, Rolf. Did or did not Paul and Peter misquote this passage and blend two verses together to further their agenda? Or put it very simply. Did Paul ACCURATELY quote Isaiah, or did he meddle with the text a little here and a little there?

See, here's my problem: you people are actually so full of yourselves you think you're above reproach, above criticism, and that anyone who knows a thing or two about Christianity and can render an argument is not qualified to do so...BECAUSE HE'S NOT A CHRISTIAN. In other words, Rolf, you believe non-Christians (especially former ones) aren't qualified to comment on your faith. Now, you might think I'm a little schizoid, but you're chasing your own tail there.

Is Christianity immune from criticism, Rolf?

Should non- or former Christians not be allowed to question their former faith, Rolf?

I'm not instructing anyone here. I don't need to. It's a bulletin board, Rolf. I'm talking. That's all. I had that right, last time I checked. Brandon asked me a question, I answered him. You're getting all huffy. Well, grow up. I notice you didn't even address the issue of Paul and Peter twisting scripture. Your nose is out of joint because I presume to question your faith. Tough.

Something else. I do respect the Bible. There is much to like in there; there is much literary beauty. There's a lot in there that I don't care for, either. Not being a Christian any longer I have the luxury of appreciating the Bible as I would any other book. Vis a vis your comments on atheism...I'm not an atheist so trying to turn the discussion in that direction's a waste of time. And it's just smoke blowing on your part.

P.S. When, exactly, did I refer to "religionists" (your quotation marks). Or are you following Paul's example and twisting words?

Jackielabby

Banned
Banned
quote:

"AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals."
?EJerry Falwell

Your point being?......Same mindset as Hitler, wouldn't you agree?

Granite

Hall of Fame

quote:

?EJerry Falwell

Hey Jackie! Welcome to TOL and happy new year.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Stopped being a xian when I saw a tv report of a catholic priest blessing a B52 bomber during the Vietnam War!!!
You stopped being a Christian, because of something a Catholic did? That's one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard. The things catholics beleive and do are reasons I'm not a Catholic, but I'm not going to reject Christ because of the perversion of one denomination.:doh:

Rolf Ernst

Jackielabby--you are religiously, fanatically devoted to being antichrist. It is your SPIRITUAL NATURE, (that is to say your religious nature) which has you in such great turmoil against Christ. Spiritually (that is to say RELIGIOUSLY) you are antichrist.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

You stopped being a Christian, because of something a Catholic did? That's one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard. The things catholics beleive and do are reasons I'm not a Catholic, but I'm not going to reject Christ because of the perversion of one denomination.:doh:

I suspect he was being a wee bit facetious...

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Either way, jackielabby is a moron. He also needs to learn how to use the quote function.

Aimiel

quote:

?EJerry Falwell

No, Jerry Falwell isn't proposing that we round up sick, feeble, infirm (paraplegics and quadraplegics), Jews or anyone else and put them to death; merely stating that sin carries consequences, and that those who sin have no one to blame for those consequences but themselves. Hitler wanted to rid Germany of the 'burden' that ill or 'lesser' beings put upon the 'Master Race.' Christians don't think of themselves as above others, merely forgiven of their sins, which will grant us access into Heaven. It is God that considers us His Sons, because of our faith. That doesn't make us any better, merely accepted into His Family, which (from my experience) means that we have a tougher row to hoe than others. The eventual end of a Christian's life (if we follow Christ) is the cross. We're not looking for a way to kill others to make our life easier, we're looking for a way to be killed for The Word of God, to make seeing salvation easier for those still living. Sort of the opposite, wouldn't you say?

Jackielabby

Banned
Banned
Catholics believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible. Does that not make them christians? Did not Henry VIII just get rid of the catholic church because he wanted to fornicate with other women? That is the protestant church for you.
Don Hirschberg:
Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.

I am not the anti-christ but I am certainly am an anti-christian. lighthouse I could most certainly stoop to your level and call you a moron for your beliefs but I will not.

Jackielabby

Banned
Banned
Aimiel, so being a homosexual is a sin in your and most fundamental xian's eyes. I am not homosexual but if they are doing something in the privacy of their own homes and not hurting anyone what the hell is wrong with that? Isn't the following more despicable:
JESUS ON FAMILY VALUES (part 5) - Matthew 10:35-36
"For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law -- a man's enemies will be the members of his own household."

I can offer further quotes from the euphemistically termed 'good book', but I gather you would not like to read them When someone disagrees with a 'fundie' isn't it funny that he/she is soon termed a Satanist or anti-christ.

Granite, thank you for the welcome and I hope you have a good 2005.

Last edited:

Jackielabby

Banned
Banned
JESUS ON FAMILY VALUES (part 7) - Luke 14:26
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters -- yes, even his own life -- he cannot be my disciple."
Fostering hate? I do not hate any of my family, one a catholic, one an agnostic, one devout lutheran. None of them hate me. Are we all damned to live forever without Jesus?
Oh, woe are we!!!

Granite

Hall of Fame

Aimiel, so being a homosexual is a sin in your and most fundamental xian's eyes. I am not homosexual but if they are doing something in the privacy of their own homes and not hurting anyone what the hell is wrong with that? Isn't the following more despicable:
JESUS ON FAMILY VALUES (part 5) - Matthew 10:35-36
"For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law -- a man's enemies will be the members of his own household."

I can offer further quotes from the euphemistically termed 'good book', but I gather you would not like to read them When someone disagrees with a 'fundie' isn't it funny that he/she is soon termed a Satanist or anti-christ.

Granite, thank you for the welcome and I hope you have a good 2005.

You as well!