ARCHIVE: Finding my way

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Doc... God tells us an interesting fact about Himself....

Proverbs 6:16 These six things the LORD hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him: 17 A proud look, A lying tongue, Hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that are swift in running to evil, 19 A false witness who speaks lies, And one who sows discord among brethren.

Yet you tell us that God ordains every proud look. You say God directs the lying tongue. You say God guides the hands that shed innocent blood. You say hearts do not devise wicked plans, only God can do that. You say God compels feet to run swiftly to evil. You claim God is the source of a false witness. And finally you preach that God sows discord among the brethren.

God hates these things that you accuse Him of.

docrob57

Knight said:

Proverbs 6:16 These six things the LORD hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him: 17 A proud look, A lying tongue, Hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that are swift in running to evil, 19 A false witness who speaks lies, And one who sows discord among brethren.

Yet you tell us that God ordains every proud look. You say God directs the lying tongue. You say God guides the hands that shed innocent blood. You say hearts do not devise wicked plans, only God can do that. You say God compels feet to run swiftly to evil. You claim God is the source of a false witness. And finally you preach that God sows discord among the brethren.

With as much respect as is possible, I would submit that God hates your attempts to bring Him down to your level.

God allows unregenerated sinners to carry on in their destructive ways. Since He is the sovereign God, He is able to use even this for His own glory.

I haven't looked above to see if you have answered this, but I assume here that you didn't, why didn't God stop the Columbine shooters?

There are only 3 possible answers. Either He could not (full blown heresy), He did not know it would happen (also full blown heresy), or He has a purpose in allowing it to happen.

docrob57

Okay, I see that you did offer an answer. So your perspective is that God submits Himself to our will, not involving Himself despite the pain that would be inflicted on innocent people? I stand by my argument that you are trying to bring God down to human level.

docrob57

Knight said:
Because God values our freedom and freewill, He created us this way by design. We don't lock our kids in their room to prevent them from scratching their knee learning to ride their bikes because we value their freedom more than their temporary safety.

It does no such thing and you know it.

God is sovereign. God is sovereign over His own God is sovereignity. God is able to create any way He chooses and it's silly for us to say He couldn't have created us with a will of our own. God is able.

The alternative is to remove our freewill, God apparently values our freewill a great deal.
God tells us that He does not sin, God tells us He does not make men sin, therefore when we see wickedness and sin we shouldn't attribute it to God.

You have been shown several times (even on this thread) that you are in error.

If you fail to acknowledge responses why ask?

The Body of Christ has been predestined to be holy and blameless before God until the day of redemption. I can have the same assurance in salvation that you do.

I don't know what wacky Calvinists you have been listening to but clearly they don't understand the debate very well.

Because He values our freewill more than He values our temporary safety here on earth.

Your alternative is God drove Harris and Klebod to Columbine that day. God planned out their blood bath, God orchestrated and planned Harris and Klebolds actions and perverse video tapes leading up to that day, God planned that they would mock the victims as Harris and Klebold shot them in the head, God planned out their every move that day. Your theology turns God into Harris and Klebold's architect. :(

You trade a God that allows evil to ensure freewill, for a God that IS the mastermind behind every evil event.

No, I worship the Sovereign, Almighty God, who is perfect in all things. You worship something that more closely resembles yourself. It doesn't make me happy to say this. I pray that God will have mercy on you as He did me. I certainly didn't deserve it.

GuySmiley

docrob57 said:
There are only 3 possible answers. Either He could not (full blown heresy), He did not know it would happen (also full blown heresy), or He has a purpose in allowing it to happen.
Or option 4, the Calvinist: He wanted it to happen, and He planned every detail.

Not that I'm avoiding the question though, 'He has a purpose in allowing it to happen.'

kmoney

Hall of Fame
docrob57 said:
God allows unregenerated sinners to carry on in their destructive ways. Since He is the sovereign God, He is able to use even this for His own glory.
doc,

Do you see a difference between allowing sinners to do evil things and God ordaining sinners to do evil things?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
docrob57 said:
With as much respect as is possible, I would submit that God hates your attempts to bring Him down to your level.
You can accuse me of that if you like. But at least I don't bring Him below our level. You paint God as a murderous thug directing Harris and Klebold as the murdered their helpless victims.

I haven't looked above to see if you have answered this, but I assume here that you didn't, why didn't God stop the Columbine shooters?
I think I answered it at least three times. :sigh: I will answer it yet again....

God values our freedom and freewill, He created us this way by design. We don't lock our kids in their room to prevent them from scratching their knee learning to ride their bikes because we value their freedom more than their temporary safety.

The only way to ensure people don't hurt each other is to confine (imprison) them and God doesn't want to do that. It's freewill or imprisonment. God values our freewill and freedom.

You take all this a step further.... you believe that God not only allowed evil, He planned and orchestrates evil! You really have no standing to mock those that assert that God allows evil when you yourself blame God for evil.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
docrob57 said:
No, I worship the Sovereign, Almighty God, who is perfect in all things. You worship something that more closely resembles yourself. It doesn't make me happy to say this. I pray that God will have mercy on you as He did me. I certainly didn't deserve it.
Columbine: God's perfect plan, eh Doc?

Wow.... that's just plain disgusting.

Not to mention anti-biblical. Man is to blame for sin, not God.

James 1:13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. 14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.

Last edited:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
docrob57 said:

Are you suggesting that Knight isn't a Christian by saying that you pray that God will have mercy on him or that God will "open his eyes" to what you've been so priviledged to know by God choosing to reveal it to you? I assume and hope it's the latter (which I remember, all too well, arrogantly doing for years :vomit: ) and that you're not suggesting one isn't saved if they don't believe as you do.

Either way, your prayers don't matter a hill of beans since everything is predetermined so why waist your time praying for Knight for any reason? Oh yeah, it sounds good and that's just what you're supposed to do even though it doesn't make sense since all is settled. Ah but let me guess... My isn't God so proud of you and don't you feel good about yourself for doing what doesn't make sense but is part of being exposed to the "deeper truths"? And hey, maybe it makes sense on some other "level", "dimension" that will one day be revealed to us.

Ick!! Too many memories of this crud.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Does placing the blame on God somehow excuse men of their evil intentions and actions?

It's sad so many pagans around TOL hold these notions close to their hard hearts.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
docrob57 said:
You worship something that more closely resembles yourself.
In this context Doc I will take that as a compliment. I agree that God is more like me than He is like Harris and Klebold as you assert.

Berean Todd

pastorkevin said:
In summary: Choosing or rejecting the gift has nothing to do with the person who accepts or rejects the gift. It is still a free gift offered to them.

God's salvation is offered to all mankind. We can choose it or reject it. It is a gift!

A gift is not a gift if you are forced to take it. Then it is a burden.

God bless

PK, do you believe that Christ's death on the cross was the penal substitution for our sins? If not what is your view of the atonement?

Berean Todd

Knight said:

STRAW MAN ALERT, STRAW MAN ALERT!!! Knight, we do not teach that God guides hands to innocent blood, that he leads people's feet swiftly to evil. We teach that He allows our evil actions, but that He is big enough to order things such that OUR evil actions will ultimately bring about His good and perfect will.

Look at the life of Joseph, did God want or force the brothers to nearly kill Joseph, to sell him into slavery, for him to be jailed and abused for years of his life? No God did not MAKE people do that. But what does the Bible say later to the brothers?

Gen 50:20 "What you meant for evil, God meant for good ..."

God does not force our hands to evil. He allows us to choose our path, but our hearts CHOOSE evil, because of our fallen nature. He is big enough though to order things such that ultimately His will, will be done.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Berean Todd said:
God does not force our hands to evil. He allows us to choose our path, but our hearts CHOOSE evil, because of our fallen nature. He is big enough though to order things such that ultimately His will, will be done.
So you are saying God doesn't plan everything that occurs?

If so, I think we have made a major breakthrough! You may want to "hip" Docrob to this because he has claimed otherwise on this thread.

I think we better be sure if we made a break-tough or not....

Can you answer the following without equivocation?

Are there events that occur that were NOT meticulously planned in advance by God? YES or NO?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Berean Todd said:
We teach that He allows our evil actions, but that He is big enough to order things such that OUR evil actions will ultimately bring about His good and perfect will.

Is God contradicting Himself?

Romans 3:8
And why not say, “Let us do evil that good may come”?—as we are slanderously reported and as some affirm that we say. Their condemnation is just.

PKevman

Berean Todd said:
PK, do you believe that Christ's death on the cross was the penal substitution for our sins? If not what is your view of the atonement?

A good definition I have used before is, "The atonement is the work Christ did in His life and death to earn our salvation."

The atonement was necessary because:

A. God so loved the world. (John 3:16)
He so loved the world that He sent His Son as a sacrifice to bear the wrath of God, so that men who would put their trust in God's sacrifice would not have to bear that wrath themselves for all eternity in hell. The Bible says that Christ was sent as a propitiation for our sins and to "prove t the present time that He Himself is righteous and that He justifies him who has faith in Jesus." (Romans 3:26)

B. Mankind has sinned and broken his relationship with God. Because of sin, man's standing before God is condemnation. Notice the following from John 3:

“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

The default position before a person gets saved is they are condemned to die and spend an eternity apart from God in hell. This is called condemnation.

Now to your question:

Berean Todd said:
do you believe that Christ's death on the cross was the penal substitution for our sins?

Yes. Christ paid the penalty for our sins, and He substituted Himself in our place! He paid the FULL penalty for our sins!

Romans 8:1
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

The divine blood of Christ washes away our sins!

Romans 1:18-19
18 knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.

1 John 4:9-10
In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

Before Christ, we are slaves to sin and slaves to Satan!

1 John 5:19
19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.

John 8:44
44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.

Romans 6:17
17 But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered.

Was the atonement limited?

My belief is that God desires all men to be saved, and that salvation is a free gift to all men. God paid the penalty on the cross for the sins of MANKIND and whosoever will come can realize the benefits of this great and glorious sacrifice.

John 1:29
29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!

2 Corinthians 5:15-21
15 and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.
16 Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 18 Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, 19 that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
20 Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God. 21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Notice there is a strong qualifier in there. Only IF anyone is in Christ has he become a new creation and therefore qualifies for the atonement that God offers to all men!

In this next verse, notice how wicked false teachers are also said to be denying the "Lord who bought them"!!

2 Peter 2:1
1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.

There is no doubt from this text it is not talking about Christians, in fact it is talking about non-Christians. But Christ's death still bought them. Does that mean they are saved? Not in the least! It just shows us that Christ's atoning death paid the penalty for all men!

Salvation is a free gift!
It's easy as pie to understand if you just simply think of it in terms of the free gift that it is. If I buy a box of cookies for every family that lives on my street, I have bought a box of cookies for every family on my street. Right? That means that as I walk down the street every family on the street must accept the box or I didn't buy boxes for every family on the street? NO! Those who reject the box of cookies are rejecting the free gift that I bought for them! It still doesn't negate the fact that I bought it for them!

John 4:10
10 Jesus answered and said to her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.”

Romans 5:15
15 But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man’s offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

2 Corinthians 9:15
15 Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!

Salvation is a free gift that can be accepted or rejected. If it is accepted one is saved and reaps the benefits of it. If it is rejected then one cannot be saved and will not see the benefits from it. It is really that simple to understand.

I hope that helps and God bless!

Berean Todd

Ok PK, I understand that atonement, but thank you nonetheless for your exhaustive answer. Let me get to my point ...

pastorkevin said:
Yes. Christ paid the penalty for our sins, and He substituted Himself in our place! He paid the FULL penalty for our sins!

Now I know that you also hold to the unlimited/universal atonement, that Christ died for all men. If Christ paid the penalty for our sins, the penal substitution on our behalf, and if that was done for all men, then for what is anyone sent to hell?

If you are going to be consistent in your beliefs then you must limit either the scope of the atonement (limited atonement) or the power of it (it does not cover all sins, i.e. unbelief.). If the later is the case, then we are not saved on the merrit of Christ's atonement, for He has (according to you) atoned for everybody. Instead we are saved on the merrit of our own choice of God.

Now I know that you are going to protest at that, but that is what it comes down to. One or the other must be limited, you can not have Christ paying the penalty for all sins for all men and have anyone in hell.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Berean Todd said:
Ok PK, I understand that atonement, but thank you nonetheless for your exhaustive answer. Let me get to my point ...

Now I know that you also hold to the unlimited/universal atonement, that Christ died for all men. If Christ paid the penalty for our sins, the penal substitution on our behalf, and if that was done for all men, then for what is anyone sent to hell?

If you are going to be consistent in your beliefs then you must limit either the scope of the atonement (limited atonement) or the power of it (it does not cover all sins, i.e. unbelief.). If the later is the case, then we are not saved on the merrit of Christ's atonement, for He has (according to you) atoned for everybody. Instead we are saved on the merrit of our own choice of God.

Now I know that you are going to protest at that, but that is what it comes down to. One or the other must be limited, you can not have Christ paying the penalty for all sins for all men and have anyone in hell.
You state that either limited atonement, or universal atonement must be true but you left out the why . The why not is the fact that atonement, while it is unlimited, (that is to say provided for all) is clearly conditional. Faith is the condition and everybody knows it! The limited atonement camp allows for this condition by claiming God only gives faith to the elect. The Universalists allow for this condition by claiming God will eventually get around to granting faith to everyone. The third option is, that God allows those who despise him not to believe.

Berean Todd

Delmar said:
. The third option is, that God allows those who despise him not to believe.

The problem with that third option is that according to it Christ has allready atoned for their sins, meaning that if God punishes them by sending them to hell He has twice punished that sin, making Him unjust. If the price was allready paid for their sin, and all of their sin, then there is no judgment. Either payment was not made for ALL sins, or payment was not made for ALL men. If payment was made for ALL sins for ALL men then either universalism is true or God is unjust.

docrob57

Poly said:
Are you suggesting that Knight isn't a Christian by saying that you pray that God will have mercy on him or that God will "open his eyes" to what you've been so priviledged to know by God choosing to reveal it to you? I assume and hope it's the latter (which I remember, all too well, arrogantly doing for years :vomit: ) and that you're not suggesting one isn't saved if they don't believe as you do.

Either way, your prayers don't matter a hill of beans since everything is predetermined so why waist your time praying for Knight for any reason? Oh yeah, it sounds good and that's just what you're supposed to do even though it doesn't make sense since all is settled. Ah but let me guess... My isn't God so proud of you and don't you feel good about yourself for doing what doesn't make sense but is part of being exposed to the "deeper truths"? And hey, maybe it makes sense on some other "level", "dimension" that will one day be revealed to us.

Ick!! Too many memories of this crud.

No I am not saying that Knight is not saved. As far as I know Knight legitimately trusts in the atoning work of Jesus for his salvation and does not seem to rest on his own work. But he and the OVers preach a false doctrine, though I am sure you really believe it. To that extent, my prayer for you (plural) is that God might forgive you for you know not what you do.

Ultimately, the big objection that the OVers seem to have is the suggestion that God, not you, is in control. It is impossible for you to see how an incident like Columbine could serve God's purposes. It hurt you, and the actions of the human debris that did it were evil, accordingly, the actions cannot serve God's purposes. This is your perception even though the Bible is filled with the accounts of God using evil tools for His purpose. All this is pride. You have to be in control, you have to understand. I would suggest that you reread the latter part of Job for a commentary on that attitude.

As to the issue of prayer. We do not pray so that we would move God. If we could change God, then He would be our servant. We pray so that by the Spirit, we might be brought into conformity with God's will.

It is sad that you call the Word and truth of God "crud." I further pray that God will open your eyes.

In any event, as I expressed privately to Knight, I now bid TOL fond farewell. In returning this once, it was not my intent to stay. I came simply to bear witness to God's work in my life. I wish that I could leave on better terms, but I knew that that was not to be.

I leave asking you to consider a question. And this will also difficult for you and the others to answer correctly since you also profess the false doctrine of dispensationalism, but I would ask that you consider Israel. Why did God choose Israel? Was it due to their obedience? Did they somehow recognize God, repent and ask Him to make them His chosen people? Was it that God really really hoped that they would be obedient and then He was really really disappointed?

Peace.
Robert Sims

Last edited: