ARCHIVE: Finding my way

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Berean Todd said:
Regeneration is not salvation, it preceedes salvation. Regeneration is what Jesus spoke of here:

3In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."

4"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"

5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.

Ephesians 2 and other places tell us that we are spiritually dead. 1 Cor 1-2 tells us that in our flesh we can not even understand the Gospel let alone respond to it. It is utter foolishness. The Spirit comes and "regenerates" us, it gives us spiritual life, and at that point our eyes are truly opened to God's grace and (following from irresistable grace) we will respond in faith.
Thanks for your response. So would it be fair to say that the "drawing of the Holy Spirit"
and "regeneration" are basicly the same thing, in your view? Also I don't think you answered this question. Is it possible that someone would experince regeneration and not become saved?

Berean Todd

Delmar said:
Thanks for your response. So would it be fair to say that the "drawing of the Holy Spirit" and "regeneration" are basicly the same thing, in your view?

I am not sure that there is a specific calvinistic viewpoint on this, but as for me personally I would say it's a bit of a grey area to me. They are at least connected, but whether they are they same I'm not entirely sure.

Also I don't think you answered this question. Is it possible that someone would experince regeneration and not become saved?

Ultimately no (based on the calvinistic view of irresistable grace). I believe that any who is regenerated will respond to God. Some view it as an immediate thing, some possit that there could be a gap of indeterminate time between the regeneration and the placing of faith. I would simply say that the one preceedes the other, and that any who is regenerated will respond in faith.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So in a real sence you are saved, not by faith, but by regeneration?

Berean Todd

Delmar said:
So in a real sence you are saved, not by faith, but by regeneration?

No, salvation is by faith that much is clear. Apart from faith there is no salvation. However apart from regeneration we have not the ability to place that faith in God.