AM I THE ONLY ONE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Brain

It amounts to idolatry. I kind of had that same vibe with those who loved Obama too. You will see me highly esteeming Ronald Regan, but not toward idolatry. I didn't think he walked on water, just the best thing since sliced bread.

See, that's the difference. I don't recall there being the same vapid fawning where it came to Obama even from most supporters. He was hardly faultless as with any president but he was certainly far more of a statesman and professional in office than the current 'occupier'. On here he was practically regarded as the devil incarnate along with Hilary and the incessant whining from far right zealots about his birth certificate and credentials was beyond laughable. Had Obama been accused of the same assault allegations or anything akin to the 'Access Hollywood' tape, there'd have been thread after thread on here about how he was completely immoral and unfit to be president etc etc.

Yet with Trump it's all no big deal, just 'locker room talk' and the like. Somehow it's all great and ordained by God when Trump's 'at the helm' as he supposedly reflects the far right's conservative "values". Although how adultery, misogyny, ineptitude, crassness and egotism gone wild is anything to celebrate and fawn over remains a mystery...

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
See, that's the difference. I don't recall there being the same vapid fawning where it came to Obama even from most supporters. He was hardly faultless as with any president but he was certainly far more of a statesman and professional in office than the current 'occupier'. On here he was practically regarded as the devil incarnate along with Hilary and the incessant whining from far right zealots about his birth certificate and credentials was beyond laughable. Had Obama been accused of the same assault allegations or anything akin to the 'Access Hollywood' tape, there'd have been thread after thread on here about how he was completely immoral and unfit to be president etc etc.

Yet with Trump it's all no big deal, just 'locker room talk' and the like. Somehow it's all great and ordained by God when Trump's 'at the helm' as he supposedly reflects the far right's conservative "values". Although how adultery, misogyny, ineptitude, crassness and egotism gone wild is anything to celebrate and fawn over remains a mystery...
I fawn over Trump to counter the hate and rage against him. The trash talk, hatred and obsession by the media and the liberal dems only makes the Deplorables stronger and more vocal. How's that Theresa May poster?

Arthur Brain

I fawn over Trump to counter the hate and rage against him. The trash talk, hatred and obsession by the media and the liberal dems only makes the Deplorables stronger and more vocal. How's that Theresa May poster?

You shouldn't fawn over any politician PJ, I don't. I'm no fan of any political leader in the UK so you'll see no venerating or blind praise from me on the score. I'm cynical all ends up and you're the opposite. Anything Trump related and it's all rose tinted glasses.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I see that the 'newest incarnation' of Road Runner is now among us and will most likely be banned. His original entry into TOL has already been "EXILED" into oblivion. I have a sneaking suspicion he's had OTHER visits in the past under different names. These "TYPES" of creatures give themselves away by getting 'too familiar' right away with Posters that are regulars on TOL. And, they start their "ATTACKS" right off the bat. Soon, they usually start using "inferred" foul language and terms. They are what are called; "True Trolls" as opposed to your 'run of the mill, Trolls.'

Lon

See, that's the difference. I don't recall there being the same vapid fawning where it came to Obama even from most supporters.
I've seen the opposite. Perhaps what we paid attention respectively. I've not seen Trump sitting with Paul McCartney with Oprah sitting next to them. I've not seen kind comments by Britain toward Trump like the fawning that was VERY evident over Obama. Harry didn't invite him, but only because his disdain for Trump outshined his friendship with Obama :noway: He should have just invited Obama, because the politics were already there one way or the other.

He was hardly faultless as with any president but he was certainly far more of a statesman and professional in office than the current 'occupier'.
See, you are letting media form your opinion. Obama used the "F" word among other choice bombs, before and after office BUT media hid it. You really need to see that media is especially Democratic. Liberals don't play 'fair.' Maybe nobody does, but when it affects what is supposed to be neutral news, it isn't news, but propaganda. You know this, but we REALLY need to be leery and vigilante against another's propaganda. I WILL think for myself. I'd like to see a lot more intelligent people do the same. I'm self-analytical and reflective so often asking 'what propaganda am I buying that I need to stop being a dupe to?' Obama was a better man in other ways, but not the statesman or professional that media edited him to be.

On here he was practically regarded as the devil incarnate along with Hilary and the incessant whining from far right zealots about his birth certificate and credentials was beyond laughable. Had Obama been accused of the same assault allegations or anything akin to the 'Access Hollywood' tape, there'd have been thread after thread on here about how he was completely immoral and unfit to be president etc etc.
I wrote in Cruz on my first ballot. That said, I was impressed that Trump went the right avenues for apology and asking for forgiveness, first to his wife, and children, then to the public. Hard to tell when one is 'caught.' Kennedy, Clinton, and it seems a few others preceding, brought immorality with them into the White House. I'd hope Trump left his at the door. Until I have reason to think otherwise, I'll hope his commitment against it is holding. You can call me all kinds of naïve for it. That's fine. I agree even.

We give power to whomever we favor. Some discrimination is necessary. Obama didn't get that. He was everything a liberal democrat wanted so of course, there was more fawning than you realize across the sea. He appealed to a minority only. Trump wasn't the preference, but he was the answer to liberal morals (not personally, by policy). We needed someone that at LEAST would listen sympathetically. During Obama's run, the Judicial court ran amok. Trump has called that inordinate power into check. The CIA and IRS were run amok. He also has brought that into check. Democrats believe in big and powerful government. Republicans don't. What we are seeing then, is a rebalancing and so, Trump' personal character flaws may not be as important as his strengths to the U.S. needs at present. Imho, it is the larger and more important picture than focusing on just the POTUS' failures/flaws. Rather, the strength of the Constitution and government and its reflection of the values of its people is the needed larger focus. When a Democrat is in office, the media is liberal and loose morally. When a Republican is in office, that is shunned and begins to be reformed. IOW, the effect of the vote is the important thing. Your government is a bit more complicated than this and your parties are set up with differing values expressed between them than is the case here.

rexlunae

This wasn't directed at me, but I did have a few thoughts.

See, you are letting media form your opinion. Obama used the "F" word among other choice bombs, before and after office BUT media hid it.

The one thing Trump is often candidate about is his feelings. And I think that's good, in and of itself. The problem comes, not from the fact that Trump is willing to be candidate about some of those feelings, but from what those feelings are. I honestly think that the American context for "profanity" is extremely silly. It's just a little hard to take Evangelicals excusing behavior that they've spent the last several decades haranguing liberals for.

As far as covering up Obama's supposed dirty mouth, I expect he has used "F-bombs" in the past, just like pretty much everyone. But there is such a thing a decorum, and Obama generally has a pretty strong sense of when it's appropriate to use that language. That's not covering it up. Do you have any examples of cases where the media covered up a case of Obama breaking the social protocols for such colloquialisms?

You really need to see that media is especially Democratic. Liberals don't play 'fair.' Maybe nobody does, but when it affects what is supposed to be neutral news, it isn't news, but propaganda. You know this, but we REALLY need to be leery and vigilante against another's propaganda. I WILL think for myself. I'd like to see a lot more intelligent people do the same. I'm self-analytical and reflective so often asking 'what propaganda am I buying that I need to stop being a dupe to?' Obama was a better man in other ways, but not the statesman or professional that media edited him to be.

I think neutrality is overrated. What matters is honesty. It's pretty hard to find people who are actually neutral, which means that neutrality is often a bit of a farce. Certainly, there was no shortage of opposing voices during Obama's presidency. The problem that they had was that they had a very hard time saying anything about him that stuck, which lead them to compromise their honesty.

I wrote in Cruz on my first ballot. That said, I was impressed that Trump went the right avenues for apology and asking for forgiveness, first to his wife, and children, then to the public.

I don't recall that happening. When did he apologize to anyone? And was the before or after he had his lawyer paying off Stormy Daniels?

Hard to tell when one is 'caught.' Kennedy, Clinton, and it seems a few others preceding, brought immorality with them into the White House. I'd hope Trump left his at the door. Until I have reason to think otherwise, I'll hope his commitment against it is holding. You can call me all kinds of naïve for it. That's fine. I agree even.

Personally, the thing that concerns me is not that you want to forgive him, but the fact that you seem to remember him performing some sort of penance that I don't think has happened.

Lon

This wasn't directed at me, but I did have a few thoughts.
:e4e:

The one thing Trump is often candidate about is his feelings. And I think that's good, in and of itself. The problem comes, not from the fact that Trump is willing to be candidate about some of those feelings, but from what those feelings are. I honestly think that the American context for "profanity" is extremely silly. It's just a little hard to take Evangelicals excusing behavior that they've spent the last several decades haranguing liberals for.
Some of them are worse than others. I don't cuss but generally, it is taking the Lord's name in vain that bothers me most. That said, the "F" word is crude and inappropriate, more so than stink-holes et al.
As far as covering up Obama's supposed dirty mouth, I expect he has used "F-bombs" in the past, just like pretty much everyone. But there is such a thing a decorum, and Obama generally has a pretty strong sense of when it's appropriate to use that language. That's not covering it up. Do you have any examples of cases where the media covered up a case of Obama breaking the social protocols for such colloquialisms?
You can search it. I don't like dragging dirt onto TOL. I know many do, but I try to hold on to my PG rating.

I think neutrality is overrated. What matters is honesty. It's pretty hard to find people who are actually neutral, which means that neutrality is often a bit of a farce. Certainly, there was no shortage of opposing voices during Obama's presidency. The problem that they had was that they had a very hard time saying anything about him that stuck, which lead them to compromise their honesty.
I disagree. If you don't represent both sides fairly, you aren't being impartial nor are you being honest when you marginalize your opponent.
What is true, never has reason to hide but when you hide an foul-bomb here and an expletive there, then post them from the other guy...yeah, that's not honest. You are trying to steer opinion and lose your political tax exemption. You can't 'report' the news if you are the one 'making' it. That's narcissism and brainwashing.

I don't recall that happening. When did he apologize to anyone?
You can search this too but try to get past media indignation and 'slant' like "but he ALSO said" or "BUT." My suggestion is just to see if there is an actual apology to his wife, kids, and then the public. It is documented. Any attempt to say "that isn't an apology" is being parsimonious with counterfactuals ONLY for political reasons, imho.

Personally, the thing that concerns me is not that you want to forgive him, but the fact that you seem to remember him performing some sort of penance that I don't think has happened.
It did happen. Why would that be your concern? If our seats were changed, I'd be more concerned over my quick forgiveness. It isn't that. My point again, was 'keep it out of the White House' and a hopefulness that it is behind him for the time being. Probably wishful thinking more than forgiving. He wasn't representing me/us before. 'We' certainly should expect and hold him to our high standard 'while' he is representing us. That was the problem with Clinton. He did not represent 'us' well with that indiscretion-made-public.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Patton cursed and everybody loved it. The movie "Patton" was shocking in its day for its cursing. Today, not so much. But his cursing was righteous and therefore loved .

Lon

Patton cursed and everybody loved it. The movie "Patton" was shocking in its day for its cursing. Today, not so much. But his cursing was righteous and therefore loved .

"Vain" isn't just offensive, but wrong, thus profane as well. It maligns what is Gods. Almost all cussing and swearing can be reduced to that, simply: Profaning what is sacred. It is 'dirtying' or dragging that which is God's through the muck. We can do it with more than just cussing and swear words by 'treating' what is God's in a profane or cavalier matter as well. So, a "God-condemned day?" This was George C. Scott. Did Patton use the same?

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
"Vain" isn't just offensive, but wrong, thus profane as well. It maligns what is Gods. Almost all cussing and swearing can be reduced to that, simply: Profaning what is sacred. It is 'dirtying' or dragging that which is God's through the muck........

Dammit, I guess I'm screwed.
We'll, I'm no saint, just a regular Joe, hoping I can slip Saint Peter a c-note and at least make it to Purgatory.

.....So, a "God-condemned day?" This was George C. Scott. Did Patton use the same?

I don't know. He probably did. Many scenes in Patton are an amalgam of remembered quotes, albeit sometimes in different contexts.

Arthur Brain

I've seen the opposite. Perhaps what we paid attention respectively. I've not seen Trump sitting with Paul McCartney with Oprah sitting next to them. I've not seen kind comments by Britain toward Trump like the fawning that was VERY evident over Obama. Harry didn't invite him, but only because his disdain for Trump outshined his friendship with Obama :noway: He should have just invited Obama, because the politics were already there one way or the other.

Well, if Trump isn't getting 'kind comments' from Britain, it may have something to do with his childish and unfounded tweets for starters. The guy does himself no favors when he acts like an overgrown, uninformed idiot aka 'Britain First' and his tweets about the NHS. He is completely unprofessional and nowhere near the statesman that Obama was during his presidency, regardless of politics. Trump has invited dissent with these reckless twitter fests of his and it's far from Britain that has been unimpressed. I feel sorry for what his administration team must have to cope with on a daily basis.

See, you are letting media form your opinion. Obama used the "F" word among other choice bombs, before and after office BUT media hid it. You really need to see that media is especially Democratic. Liberals don't play 'fair.' Maybe nobody does, but when it affects what is supposed to be neutral news, it isn't news, but propaganda. You know this, but we REALLY need to be leery and vigilante against another's propaganda. I WILL think for myself. I'd like to see a lot more intelligent people do the same. I'm self-analytical and reflective so often asking 'what propaganda am I buying that I need to stop being a dupe to?' Obama was a better man in other ways, but not the statesman or professional that media edited him to be.

You assume I get my news from mainstream outlets and everything you level at 'liberal media' can be countered likewise. If Obama used the 'F' word outside of presidency then it's hardly any big deal as practically everybody cusses and there was no need to even bother trying to hide it. That is far removed from Trump's comments caught on tape where he brags about being able to grope women.

I wrote in Cruz on my first ballot. That said, I was impressed that Trump went the right avenues for apology and asking for forgiveness, first to his wife, and children, then to the public. Hard to tell when one is 'caught.' Kennedy, Clinton, and it seems a few others preceding, brought immorality with them into the White House. I'd hope Trump left his at the door. Until I have reason to think otherwise, I'll hope his commitment against it is holding. You can call me all kinds of naïve for it. That's fine. I agree even.

As with Rex, I'm a bit bemused as to where this 'apology' is?

We give power to whomever we favor. Some discrimination is necessary. Obama didn't get that. He was everything a liberal democrat wanted so of course, there was more fawning than you realize across the sea. He appealed to a minority only. Trump wasn't the preference, but he was the answer to liberal morals (not personally, by policy). We needed someone that at LEAST would listen sympathetically. During Obama's run, the Judicial court ran amok. Trump has called that inordinate power into check. The CIA and IRS were run amok. He also has brought that into check. Democrats believe in big and powerful government. Republicans don't. What we are seeing then, is a rebalancing and so, Trump' personal character flaws may not be as important as his strengths to the U.S. needs at present. Imho, it is the larger and more important picture than focusing on just the POTUS' failures/flaws. Rather, the strength of the Constitution and government and its reflection of the values of its people is the needed larger focus. When a Democrat is in office, the media is liberal and loose morally. When a Republican is in office, that is shunned and begins to be reformed. IOW, the effect of the vote is the important thing. Your government is a bit more complicated than this and your parties are set up with differing values expressed between them than is the case here.

Sorry lon, but that just sounds like a bunch of rhetoric and a party political broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.