‘My son is not the same’: New testimony paints bleak picture of family separation

Status
Not open for further replies.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
"I had hopes that as a human being I would have the right to live," said one woman from Honduras, who requested she not be named to protect her identity. After her 15-year-old son witnessed a massacre by a local gang, the woman said her whole family was threatened. In the past two months, she said, they have gone many days without shelter or food, she said. "I wasn’t coming for better opportunities," she said. "I was coming to save my life."

The Lives At Our Door

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
"I had hopes that as a human being I would have the right to live," said one woman from Honduras, who requested she not be named to protect her identity. After her 15-year-old son witnessed a massacre by a local gang, the woman said her whole family was threatened. In the past two months, she said, they have gone many days without shelter or food, she said. "I wasn’t coming for better opportunities," she said. "I was coming to save my life."

The Lives At Our Door

why not stay and help remake her society, band together with like minded citizens and execute the members of the gangs, like Duterte?

i'd be willing to send them guns and ammo and training

Make Honduras Great Again!

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Requesting asylum isn't a crime........

Hey Mrs. Brainless, first of all asylum seekers present themselves at a point of entry, they don't sneak in. Second of all, simply leaving your country because you don't like it does not qualify for asylum, you dope. Asylum is for the politically persecuted, people jailed for religious or political beliefs, maybe escaping a Communist regime, those type of things. That's not what this is.

Lord you are dumber than dirt.

ok doser

Then why did you bring the Holocaust into the conversation?

i thought it would be a simple example to use to illustrate the silliness of your statement: "Until you've lived through what they've lived through, you're in no place to judge them"

let me try another tack - anna, have you ever lived through being a NYC real estate mogul, a billionaire, a TV star, an unlikely political success story, the president of the United States?

no?

then you're in no place to judge Donald Trump

ok doser

anna: "Until you've lived through what they've lived through, you're in no place to judge them"

anna - have you ever lived through being a mentally unstable racist, shouting at brown people on a bus?

no?

then you're in no place to judge those who are

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
asylum seekers present themselves at a point of entry, they don't sneak in.

In a break from previous administrations, Donald Trump's Department of Homeland Security is forcibly separating asylum-seekers from their children when they arrive in the U.S., according to the American Civil Liberties Union.

A mother and her 7-year-old daughter escaping persecution and "near certain death" by fleeing the Democratic Republic of Congo have been separated for nearly four months, according to a legal complaint filed today by the ACLU.

Referred to in the case as "Ms. L" and "S.S.," the mother and daughter arrived in San Ysidro, California, Nov. 1. They told border guards they were seeking asylum, according to the court documents. Ms. L passed what's called a "credible fear interview," where an officer determined she and S.S. had a "significant possibility of ultimately receiving asylum."

Like many asylum-seekers, the two were detained while their application was processed. Under longstanding policy, families typically are kept intact at detention centers or released with a court date.

But just four days after arriving in the U.S., Ms. L was sent to Otay Mesa Detention Center in San Diego County while S.S. was ripped away from her and flown to another center in Chicago, according to the filing. S.S. speaks Lingala, a few words of Spanish and no English.

Contacted by ABC News about the case, a Department of Homeland Security spokesperson said the department does not comment on pending litigation.

The complaint claims, "When the officers separated them, Ms. L. could hear her daughter in the next room frantically screaming that she wanted to remain with her mother.” Ms. L said that no one involved in the process explained that her daughter would be taken away, to where she would be taken or when they would next see each other.
The mother and daughter spoke on the phone about five days after being separated, but have been apart ever since.
“Seven-year-old S.S. sits all alone in a Chicago facility, frightened and traumatized, crying for her mother and not knowing when she will see her again,” according to the court papers, which also claim Ms. L and her daughter had their due-process rights violated by DHS and other federal agencies.
This lawsuit will be "a legal test case" in how the current administration handles situations involving parents and children seeking asylum, said Lee Gelernt, Ms. L's attorney and deputy director of the ACLU's National Immigrants' Rights Project.

The ACLU has learned of hundreds of similar cases and intends to "attack this practice more broadly in the near future," Gelernt told ABC News. "We hope the administration will reconsider this horrific practice, but unfortunately we are hearing it may actually expand and formalize the practice into national policy."

In nearly three decades of civil rights work, Gelernt said Ms. L's case is among the worst he's seen."Listening to this mother describe her child frantically screaming when they took her away," he added, "was gut-wrenching."

Second of all, simply leaving your country because you don't like it does not qualify for asylum, you dope. Asylum is for the politically persecuted, people jailed for religious or political beliefs, maybe escaping a Communist regime, those type of things. That's not what this is.

She passed a credible fear interview. Guess they didn't call you for permission this time.

Lord you are dumber than dirt.

Glad you appreciate my sig line. I'm very fond of it. :)

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
i thought it would be a simple example to use to illustrate the silliness of your statement: "Until you've lived through what they've lived through, you're in no place to judge them"

It's not a silly statement, it was a necessary statement. If you hadn't accused the parents of child abuse, and just stuck to an argument for humane immigration reform, you could have focused on the issue instead of on the character of the parents seeking asylum and safety for their children and it would have been a more productive discussion.

Arthur Brain

The Lives At Our Door

They don't care, they're just "criminals" who shouldn't "pollute" America...

Arthur Brain

If these were American parents, child services would be taking their kids away in a heartbeat for dragging their kids into a federal crime.

The person who started this thread is a total imbecile. Who was that, anyway

American parents in the main aren't faced with the type of circumstances that would drive those outside of your country to try and escape them.

Prat.

ok doser

If you hadn't accused the parents of child abuse...

if i subjected my children to the trials and deprivations these honduran/guatemalan kids were subjected to in crossing mexico and the border into america, NYS social services would charge me with child abuse and take my kids away

that's not an accusation, it's a mere statement of fact

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
... she's ... a racist piece of work...

Therefore, because there are some racists in America, we should let illegals flood over the borders and not enforce our laws. Is that your ignorant stupid deduction?

Here's a question: If you were being raped in an alley, and you saw a cop, and you needed his help, but you know the cop was a racist because you actually happen know him personally, would you choose not to ask for his help? Just curious.

If your kid needed a special operation to live that only one doctor in the world could perform, and that doctor was a racist, would you let your kid die? Just curious.

You know what? If someone wants to be a racist, why is that even anybody's business. Seriously. Blacks are the most racist people in a America and you never utter a peep about them. Guess what: If a black person hated me because I was white, I'd go on with my day without a care in the world. Do you know why? Because his racism does not affect me in the slightest, and I don't give a damm about it.

You know, every time you open your ignorant trap, I am just amazed at the depths of your stupidity, hypocrisy, and ignorance. Lord help your kids and save them from you.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
:plain: It's not these beautiful children and their parents who are polluting America.........

Liar. They are illegally sneaking into America and overburdening our systems and tax dollars and prisons. They are criminals. The children are victims of their criminal parents and of imbeciles like you who let it all happen.

Oh, and then there's this:

Illegal immigrants are trying a bold new strategy to sneak into the U.S. — pairing up with unrelated children and pretending to be families, fabricating tales of heart-rending woes back home to try to convince border agents to admit them into the country, according to internal Homeland Security documents reviewed by The Washington Times.

That is one of the tactics feeding the surge of illegal immigrants in recent months, which the Border Patrol’s intelligence unit says was part of a pre-election rush to try to get into the country. The U.S. set records for illegal immigrant children and families in fiscal year 2016 and is on pace to break those records one month into fiscal year 2017.

>> STORY LINK

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Therefore, because there are some racists in America, we should let illegals flood over the borders and not enforce our laws. Is that your ignorant stupid deduction?
So you build strawmen on your yard in the fall, just to practice?

Here's a question: If you were being raped in an alley, and you saw a cop, and you needed his help, but you know the cop was a racist because you actually happen know him personally, would you choose not to ask for his help? Just curious.
You really sound curious. And possibly intoxicated.

You know what? If someone wants to be a racist, why is that even anybody's business.
Because racists tend to promote it in the public square, discriminate to the extent they can, that sort of thing.

Seriously. Blacks are the most racist people in a America
Funniest post ever...and by funny I mean thanks for the insight, in case anyone hadn't made up their mind about you on the point.

Guess what: If a black person hated me because I was white, I'd go on with my day without a care in the world.
That's because you likely grew up without a concern on the point. Most white people do. We're insulated from race as an impactful concern in our daily lives. It's not something we have to think about. It's not a concern when we go running in our neighborhood, or move into a new one.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
......You really sound curious. And possibly intoxicated........

Wow. That's a new low, and that's saying a lot for an ignorant lowlife like you.

So, I believe in law enforcement, and in protecting our border as is called for by law, and I illustrate how racism has no part in this, and you conclude that I am drunk.

Well, I guess that's the last refuge for a pathetic Cretin such as you. Got not argument to make? Call the other guy drunk and end the discussion.

Goodbye McFly, go smoke some more crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.