Assisted Suicides Soar in Switzerland

shagster01

Are you involved if i have to get on public assistance for children and myself because my husband got help to end his life because of depression?

I've only commented on Colorado's law so far. That does not allow for assisted suicide for depression. I said earlier I'd have voted against it if it did. I support letting people die who are close to death anyway. Believe it or not, you can support assisted suicide of terminal patients without supporting it for depression. It's not all inclusive.

shagster01

The fact of the matter is that anyone in favor of legalizing suicide for some people is saying that some people are worth talking out of killing themselves, and some aren't.

Yes. It is not worth talking someone out of it who is going to die really soon anyway. It is worth talking someone out of it if they still have a long productive life to live.

How do you not understand that?

glassjester

Because it's what I believe is right. Do I need more reasons? That's what your reason is for your views too, right?

As you said before... there is a fundemental difference.

I believe suicide is wrong.
I believe murder is wrong.

You believe it's wrong to kill a man with 7 months to live.
But it's acceptable, even "good," to kill a man with 6 months to live.

I'm just interested in that discrepancy.

glassjester

Yes. It is not worth talking someone out of it who is going to die really soon anyway. It is worth talking someone out of it if they still have a long productive life to live.

How do you not understand that?

I don't understand it at all.

Please explain why it's worth talking someone out of suicide if they'll have a potentially long life.

shagster01

I believe suicide is wrong.
I believe murder is wrong.

What if the murder happens in war as collateral damage? Do you make an exception then?

You believe it's wrong to kill a man with 7 months to live.
But it's acceptable, even "good," to kill a man with 6 months to live.

I'm just interested in that discrepancy.

I believe a time had to be put on it because a line must be drawn somewhere for legal purposes. I don't think it's "wrong" at 7 months. But the law on the ballot said 6 months and I was ok with that.

Let me ask you a similar question... Why is it ok for an 18 year old to consent to sex with a 30 year old, but not for a 17 year 11 month and 29 day old person to?

Answer: because a line must be drawn somewhere even if it doesn't fully make sense.

glassjester

What if the murder happens in war as collateral damage? Do you make an exception then?

That probably depends on the reason that particular soldier fired that particular shot.
Was it to defend his home and family? Was it to defend his country? To stop other innocent lives from being taken by the aggressors of that particular war?

None of those reasons come anywhere close to killing a guy just because he's sick.

I believe a time had to be put on it because a line must be drawn somewhere for legal purposes. I don't think it's "wrong" at 7 months. But the law on the ballot said 6 months and I was ok with that.

Let me ask you a similar question... Why is it ok for an 18 year old to consent to sex with a 30 year old, but not for a 17 year 11 month and 30 day old person to?

Answer: because a line must be drawn somewhere if if it doesn't fully make sense.

But it would be wrong to draw that line anywhere at all if sex was always wrong.
You know, like deliberately taking the life of an innocent person (murder).

shagster01

That probably depends on the reason that particular soldier fired that particular shot.
Was it to defend his home and family? Was it to defend his country? To stop other innocent lives from being taken by the aggressors of that particular war?

None of those reasons come anywhere close to killing a guy just because he's sick.

So there are exceptions.

But it would be wrong to draw that line anywhere at all if sex was always wrong.

Is it always right for 18 year olds?

You know, like deliberately taking the life of an innocent person (murder).

Illness took the life. They just chose to get it over with sooner rather than later. And the law says it is NOT wrong. Your beliefs say it is wrong. I don't give a hoot about your beliefs.

Look, if you get cancer and want to suffer until the bitter end, you still can. But why should your choice have to be mine?

Your stance of saying it should NEVER be allowed would be akin to me saying it should be required. I'm not saying that though.

MrDante

The fact of the matter is that anyone in favor of legalizing suicide for some people is saying that some people are worth talking out of killing themselves, and some aren't.

You've said some dumb things before but I have to think that this one takes the cake.

glassjester

again no one is saying what you claim and it is false witness to pretend otherwise

Get real.

The entire concept of killing a sick, suicidal man (simply because he's sick and suicidal) can be summed up by the words, "Kill the poor bastard."

glassjester

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
God may ask us to suffer (1 Cor. 12:26; Phil. 1:29). We are to overcome (Rev. 3:5). It's not about us. It's about him (Ac 9:16, Jn 21:19).

God asks for faith in tribulation. That's what all that means.

Seriously, have you ever heard of minding subject matter, because you all seem to deliberately attach raw meaning to verses :AMR: