You Really Believe All means All?

Lowly one

What does the English word, all, as used in the Bible really mean? In Hebrew/Greek the more popular uses of this word are ‘kol’, ‘hapas’, and ‘ouchi’, among others. However, as nearly all people who read (and therefore interpret) the Bible do so outside of the original Hebrew/Greek, we shall only look at the English word “all.” There are over 1,200 occurrences of the word “pas;” so, it’s not practical to list them all here, but an examination of a concordance will show that the term all is almost always limited to some category. The meaning of all in Scripture is always determined by the context, and rarely, if ever, means “all without any kind of limitation.”
One example out of very many
Mark 1:5
The whole Judean countryside and ALL the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.

Greek word used: πάντες/pantes G3956

Are we to accept that the radical all people of Jerusalem went out to him? and then subsequently were baptized?

beloved57

Lo

There are over 1,200 occurrences of the word “pas;” so, it’s not practical to list them all here, but an examination of a concordance will show that the term all is almost always limited to some category. The meaning of all in Scripture is always determined by the context, and rarely, if ever, means “all without any kind of limitation.”

Good this is an excellent point !

One example out of very many
The whole Judean countryside and ALL the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.

Greek word used: πάντες/pantes G3956

Are we to accept that the radical all people of Jerusalem went out to him? and then subsequently were baptized?One example out of very many

Right, good example !

Right Divider

Body part
Are we to accept that the radical all people of Jerusalem went out to him? and then subsequently were baptized?
The Bible uses MANY figures of speech. One of those is called a GENERALIZATION. Some uses of the word ALL are GENERALIZATIONS.

In some cases, they might also be considered hyperbole.

Last edited:

Lowly one

Yes but all my life and all the church believes every detailed word from the KJV is used right when it’s not specific translated well enough. So there is so much falsity. It’s a very serious problem cause truth is everything

Right Divider

Body part
Yes but all my life and all the church believes every detailed word from the KJV is used right when it’s not specific translated well enough. So there is so much falsity. It’s a very serious problem cause truth is everything

You can barely write English and you're telling us that the KJV is poorly translated into English? :rotfl:

Lowly one

How Christian of you to patronize. Just because I don’t care to write perfect doesn’t mean that what I say isn’t true. Does it make you uncomfortable that your traditions of doctrine might be wrong? Or are you arrogant that you got it all figured out? it was translated to English alright but not close to 100% accurate words and meanings you get from the original Greek abd Hebrew. I can give examples of wrong translation. Some already translated.

Is ALL gonna be made alive? I wish all would be made alive.
For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.” (1 Cor 15:22)

Now I understand the meaning and to trust God for these things. But specifics matter and determine doctrines that are wrong because people do not look carefully enough.
Have all who read this diseases get healed?
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases” (Psalm 103:2-3)

nikolai_42

How Christian of you to patronize. Just because I don’t care to write perfect doesn’t mean that what I say isn’t true. Does it make you uncomfortable that your traditions of doctrine might be wrong? Or are you arrogant that you got it all figured out? it was translated to English alright but not close to 100% accurate words and meanings you get from the original Greek abd Hebrew. I can give examples of wrong translation. Some already translated.

For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.” (1 Cor 15:22)

As you point out, the word "All" has to clarify something. All what? All frogs? All dinosaurs? All people? So if you want to read it that way, then you have to ask yourself why you assume "All" in that case means "All people without exception". However, if you read the passage as a whole, you find that "All" is a description of

a) Those who are in Adam
and
b) Those who are in Christ

Does it necessarily follow that all who are in Adam WILL be in Christ? That's nowhere said or implied in this passage.

Now I understand the meaning and to trust God for these things. But specifics matter and determine doctrines that are wrong because people do not look carefully enough.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases” (Psalm 103:2-3)

Again...you need to read who is being addressed here:

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.

Psalm 103:1-5

It's pretty clear that the Psalmist is addressing himself - exhorting himself to Praise God for His faithfulness.

As for the contention that God didn't heal all of this person's diseases (this is a Psalm of David), there are a few points here :

1. There is a possibility that one can use the term "all" in this case as being recognition that anytime a disease is healed it is healed by God. Not necessarily that all diseases David got were healed. After all, he didn't (as far as we know) have any ongoing maladies that plagued him until his death. And when he died, it's not necessary to say that God didn't heal him of whatever killed him. All men are to die.
2. These reasons for praise call to mind specific situations in David's life that provoked him to thank and praise God. David facing and defeating Goliath. Saul pursuing David to kill him. David's sin of adultery and then of murder to cover up his adultery. David is recognizing that God - in all these cases (and more - David was a warrior who survived every battle he fought) is the One who delivered him.
3. There is also a subtle (or not-so-subtle) reference to Isaiah 53:5

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Isaiah 53:5

This is a clear prophecy of Christ's sacrifice for sin. That healing, then, is in reference to spiritual healing - and Psalm 103:3 references iniquities and healing in the same breath as well. So it's entirely possible David is speaking entirely of spiritual sickness. After all, he was speaking to his soul. The soul doesn't get a common cold....

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part

You make me laugh.

ALL is sometimes used as a GENERALIZATION. It's just that simple.

The KJV translators were all very knowledgeable men in the required languages. They did not need your help.

Reactions: Lon

Bradley D

"All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet..." (Matthew 1:22).

All
ὅλον (holon)
Adjective - Nominative Neuter Singular
Strong's Greek 3650: All, the whole, entire, complete. A primary word; 'whole' or 'all', i.e. Complete, especially as noun or adverb.

Lowly one

I know it’s a generalization but others don’t.
there are tens of thousands of denominations. All interpreting different because of things like generalization.

thborn

I know it’s a generalization but others don’t.
there are tens of thousands of denominations. All interpreting different because of things like generalization.

You bring up some really good points. Happily, we can know that the God does not fail to save people and that there are denominations (or people within denominations as well as other individuals) who do come to a humble and godly understanding. Sometimes the way there can be difficult and there are many experiences different people have in their lives before coming to this point.

The chosen believers may not perhaps come to exactly the same understanding during this life, but you can identify many false denominations/teachers when their doctrine gets in the way of their giving the most glory to God through kindness and through praising his justice and sovereignty.

Lon

True, a lot of cults are cults simply because they go off of English translations and don't realize they are basing their whole disagreement with the rest of Christianity, upon something they misunderstood a translator, with good intention, to mean. Even most translator's disagree with where they took it. Its a good caution lest we build poor doctrine over an unfortunate misunderstanding of the translator's intent. The KJV translators did an exceptional job, there is no translation as poetic and beautifully written, but if someone takes any one translation wrong, it does create problems, especially for self-willed cultists who bust up the Body of Christ with controversy and arrogance.