You Must Have Works To Prove Your Faith

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Works Are The Proof

Luke 13:6-9
6 He also spoke this parable: "A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none.
7 "Then he said to the keeper of his vineyard, 'Look, for three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree and find none. Cut it down; why does it use up the ground?'
8 "But he answered and said to him, 'Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and fertilize it.
9 'And if it bears fruit, well. But if not, after that you can cut it down.' "
Matt 7:13-24
13 "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.
14 "Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.
15 "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.
16 "You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles?
17 "Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.
18 "A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.
19 "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
20 "Therefore by their fruits you will know them.
21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22 "Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?'
23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'
24 "Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock:
Matt 7:26-29
26 "Now everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand:
27 "and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall."
28 And so it was, when Jesus had ended these sayings, that the people were astonished at His teaching,
29 for He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
John 4:34-38
34 Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work.
35 "Do you not say, 'There are still four months and then comes the harvest'? Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest!
36 "And he who reaps receives wages, and gathers fruit for eternal life, that both he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together.
37 "For in this the saying is true: 'One sows and another reaps.'
38 "I sent you to reap that for which you have not labored; others have labored, and you have entered into their labors."
Matt 25:1-13
1 "Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.
2 "Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3 "Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them,
4 "but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
5 "But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.
6 "And at midnight a cry was heard: 'Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!'
7 "Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps.
8 "And the foolish said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.'
9 "But the wise answered, saying, 'No, lest there should not be enough for us and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.'
10 "And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut.
11 "Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open to us!'
12 "But he answered and said, 'Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.'
13 "Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.
Luke 8:11-15
11 "Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
12 "Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
13 "But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.
14 "And the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity.
15 "But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience.
James 2:19-22
19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe-- and tremble!
20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?
22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect?
James 2:26
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
James 2:24
24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
(NKJ)

xxx You must have works, faith is dead without works. Works are the only way you can prove your faith. Doing what it says to do is the only way you can prove you believe God. Abraham had to prove his faith with works. You will have to prove your faith with your works.

1Thes 5:21-23
21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.
23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(KJV)

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Abraham had to prove his faith by works. You will have to prove your faith.

[Heb 11:17
17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises offered up his only begotten [son],

GeoffW

Abraham had to prove his faith by works. You will have to prove your faith.

[Heb 11:17
17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises offered up his only begotten [son],

Joh 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Joh 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

I believe Jesus gives us a better explanation of the power behind Abraham's faith.
The source of Abraham's works was demonstrated more excellently in the life of Jesus.

Geoff.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Joh 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Joh 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

I believe Jesus gives us a better explanation of the power behind Abraham's faith.
The source of Abraham's works was demonstrated more excellently in the life of Jesus.

Geoff.

I said
This is true. Jesus had works, and Abraham had works to prove their faith.

beameup

Works Are The Proof
The verses you quoted applied to those still "under the Law", as Jesus entire ministry to Israel was "under the Law". The dispensation of Grace through Faith without the Law didn't even begin until Paul was saved in Acts 9.
Once again, you are mixing Law and Grace, which leads to a total state of confusion :dizzy:

Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. - Galatians 5:4

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
The verses you quoted applied to those still "under the Law", as Jesus entire ministry to Israel was "under the Law". The dispensation of Grace through Faith without the Law didn't even begin until Paul was saved in Acts 9.
Once again, you are mixing Law and Grace, which leads to a total state of confusion :dizzy:

Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. - Galatians 5:4

I said
Not so, them verses are for those under grace and grace is the law of Christ. You are mixing the old testament law with the new testament law. They must be separated. Do you know that grace IS the law of Christ? God in His grace(uncilisited mercy) gave us the law of Christ which is a much stronger law that overrides the old testament law.

[Heb 7:12, 18
12 For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law. ...
18 For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness,

GeoffW

I said
This is true. Jesus had works, and Abraham had works to prove their faith.

Yes, they both had works, but not of themselves. Neither of them would lay claim to their works being in and of themselves. They would claim that their Father was the enabling power behind their works, having received his Spirit so that their actions were of God.
No man can choose the things of God without having been given the mind of God concerning those things that confront them in their daily lives.
That's how faith enables our works and our works demonstrate our faith.

Geoff.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
[Jhn 14:10
10 "Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own [authority]; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Yes, they both had works, but not of themselves. Neither of them would lay claim to their works being in and of themselves. They would claim that their Father was the enabling power behind their works, having received his Spirit so that their actions were of God.
No man can choose the things of God without having been given the mind of God concerning those things that confront them in their daily lives.
That's how faith enables our works and our works demonstrate our faith.

Geoff.

I said
There are many works we must do. We must resist the devil, but first we must find him. We must bring every thought into the obedience of the new testament. And we must crucify all our emotions.

[Jas 4:7
7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

[2Co 10:4-5
4 For the weapons of our warfare [are] not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,

[Gal 5:24
24 And those [who are] Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.