You got something to say fool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. 5020

SOTK said:
It would be more correct for fool to make that statement since she was addressing him.
That's ridiculous. She made a completely unjustified statement, and all I did was quote her and change out the word "fool" for "you" simply to show how asinine her statement was. I have no problem with the bee (except for those ridiculously random quotes that she posts everywhere).

Lovejoy

This whole thread could use a little something, I think. Take or leave any of this as you see fit.

Judgementalism:

What is judgementalism? (v 37)
To assume that I have the right and capacity to accurately assess another person’s motives, worth and future potential. (Ge 2:9, 16, 17; 3:5, 6)

Why is this wrong?
1. It reveals my heart lacks these four things:
• Faith: I have forgotten how important the person is to God
• Love: I have criticized someone without committing myself to help
• Humility: a) I have forgotten that only God knows the true motives of a person’s heart and is fit to judge it (1Sa 16:7); b) I have forgotten who’s God (Ro 14:4-12)
• Hope: I have stopped expecting God to change that person’s heart
2. It sours my personality toward others who are innocent.
• I develop a generalized “grudge” toward similar individuals (“those people are all alike”)
3. I sin by passing my judgments on to others.

The Underlying Principle (v 38)
a) Giving love, patience and mercy releases a powerful response in others. A community is created where, in our own moments of weakness, we receive far more grace than we have given. b) Nothing binds up my ability to receive God’s grace like judging others. In order to receive His mercy I must choose to give mercy (prodigals).

God’s Perspective (v 41)
A harsh judgmental attitude is far worse than the sins we criticize in others. It proves we are loveless and disqualified to help others. Only those who judge themselves first are fit to correct others (with reluctance, not satisfaction; moderation, not exaggeration; love, not harshness).

Where does judgmentalism come from? (vs 43-45)
With this parable Jesus compares a person whose heart is full of love to a tree that bears good fruit. He says the attitude of the heart will always be revealed by the words that person speaks. Harsh words reveal a judgmental heart.

What is the solution?
It is impossible to simply will myself to stop judging others. To change I must learn to process offenses differently.

1. Let God be the judge. (Ge 50:19, Joseph; 1Sa 16:6, 7, Samuel)
2. Pray for the person and bless them. (2Ki 6:8-23, Elisha)
3. Give people time to learn and grow. (1Co 13:4, 7)
4. Never lose sight of God’s love for that person. (Mt 5:44, 45)
5. Always keep your own sinfulness in perspective. You need mercy too. (Mt 10:8; 18:23-35)

Reconciliation:

1. (vs. 21, 22) He says we can murder someone is our minds without physically harming them. How do we do this:
• Ephesians 4:26 – It isn’t a sin to be angry, but if not resolved anger will cause us to sin. Jesus is talking about prolonged anger (a grudge) which arises from a decision to hold onto an offense rather than reconcile.
• Three ways:
- Abandon/Divorce: kill the relationship, kill the memory of the person (forget them and “move on”)
- Dehumanize: strip the person of dignity; they’re a “demon” or fool, not an equal partner in our community (“he/she has a spirit!”)
- Slander: kill the person’s relationship with others by my words
2. (vs 23, 24) He says if I know I have offended someone I must go and ask them to forgive me so they can be released from their anger.
• I must not cause a brother or sister to stumble (Ro 14:13).
3. (vs 25, 26) He says if I have offended someone and then refuse to take steps to remove the grudge in their heart they will someday accuse me before God who will agree with them and judge me for being merciless.
• I am partially responsible for the bitterness others hold toward me and the sinful acts it causes them to do if I do not attempt to heal the matter and release them from their anger, I must go and try to set them free.
• When we harden people toward us we also harden them toward God. Bitterness is a disease that affects every relationship.
• If we choose to leave them in bondage to anger, we share the responsibility for their sin. When someday they blame us before God their charges will be valid.
• If we are indifferent to the spiritual damage we cause others (“cause them to stumble”) God will judge us as loveless.

Jesus says God will hold me accountable for grudges I hold toward others, but also for the grudges others hold toward me if I have not tried to reconcile with them. Then He says we must obey in these matters if we wish to continue receiving grace for ourselves. His warning does not nullify grace or imply that we earn it, but it does tell us that mercy is not a one-way street. If we want it for ourselves we must give it to others.

Blessings that come from practicing reconciliation.
• It preserves love
• It brings people to Christ (Jn 13:35, “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another”)
• It brings the ministry of the Holy Spirit (Ps 133)
• It allows the Body of Christ to be a team that effectively works together
• It brings joy, peace and health

Steps to reconciliation
• Meet: You initiate as an obedience to the Lord. Most people don’t have a clue how to properly handle offense. You help them rightly process their pain toward you (drain the venom).
• Speak the truth in love (Eph 4:15): Speak with the goal of healing, not hurting. Only truth can be the basis for real relationship.
• Try to win the person, not the argument.
• Humbly, openly judge yourself first. Evaluate your own attitudes and actions from Jesus’ perspective.
• Ask for forgiveness (only after the above step).
• Usually offenses go two ways so helpfully they will apologize and ask your forgiveness as well, but if not, tell them you forgive them (kindly, not accusingly).
• Pray for one another.
• Schedule a follow-up meeting before you separate because doubts will soon return and make you want to avoid the person.

Difficult situations
This is not a perfect world and there may be people with whom a full restoration (establishing love and trust) is not possible at this time. Here are situations that may be difficult to reconcile:
• Addicted people: The person’s spirit is no longer in control of their actions.
• Dangerous people: By reentering the relationship I am put back into danger. I forgive and love but can’t yet trust.
• Denying people: Honest disclosure isn’t two-way. The person insists they aren’t angry and the problem is all in your mind.
• Divorcing people: People who decide it’s easier to dump you than reconcile. They reject your attempts and announce they have “moved on.”
• Labeling people: People who label you as unsafe and refuse to give you another chance.
• Dominating people: People who can’t be at peace unless they get their way.

Remember: Romans 12:18 “If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.”

SOTK

Mr. 5020 said:
That's ridiculous. She made a completely unjustified statement, and all I did was quote her and change out the word "fool" for "you" simply to show how asinine her statement was. I have no problem with the bee (except for those ridiculously random quotes that she posts everywhere).

First of all, you're ridiculous. You need to relax. Second of all, she was joking and obviously didn't mean for her statement to be taken literally. Thirdly, Jujubee is new to forums and doesn't think she is doing any harm by posting her quotes. You can either ignore them or PM her and nicely instruct her about her posting etiquette. Personally, I find her quotes having more substance than a lot of other people's posts around here. Most of her quotes are either direct scripture quotes or Biblical truths. You find those ridiculous, huh? She has received PM's and received positive rep points by many encouraging her to continue. :think:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
SOTK said:
First of all, you're ridiculous. You need to relax. Second of all, she was joking and obviously didn't mean for her statement to be taken literally. Thirdly, Jujubee is new to forums and doesn't think she is doing any harm by posting her quotes. You can either ignore them or PM her and nicely instruct her about her posting etiquette. Personally, I find her quotes having more substance than a lot of other people's posts around here. Most of her quotes are either direct scripture quotes or Biblical truths. You find those ridiculous, huh? She has received PM's and received positive rep points by many encouraging her to continue. :think:
Juju will be a ToL veteran in no time. :thumb:

Besides I like Scripture quotes, so there!

Status
Not open for further replies.