Would it be wrong to eradicate a species?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's amazing how two secular humanists actually are taking God's side (He created mosquitoes for a reason).

http://insects.about.com/od/flies/f/what-good-are-mosquitoes.htm

Keep in mind that death from mosquitoes is rare in the US due to modern vaccines, insecticides, etc., which is a direct result of that nasty and ever so vicious free enterprise system.

Export free enterprise and problems in countries that are currently dealing with deadly diseases caused by things like mosquitoes will be practically non-existent.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
I'm pretty sure simply eradicating just any virus we can will severely mess up the ecosystem. Death is as necessary as life. It's a circle of life, not a straight line. Ever seen The Lion King :freak:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm pretty sure simply eradicating just any virus we can will severely mess up the ecosystem. Death is as necessary as life. It's a circle of life, not a straight line. Ever seen The Lion King :freak:

There's a big difference between eradicating a virus and a species.

gcthomas

Personally I think mosquitoes can be done away with. I do not think their role is that important.

Mosquitoes are involved in pollination, so I'd be nervous of removing them. And when the niche is filled with another insect who's to say it won't be worse?

A better way to deal with mosquitos is to deal with the pathogens they carry, treating the mosquitos, genetically engineering them, developing better postdocs, or reduce the populations in specific locations.

I doubt that humans can exterminate any mosquito species anyway, so the op question is moot. Evolution will likely weaken any attacks over time, producing resistant species.

Damiano

Eradicare mosquitos isn't wrong

Eradicare mosquitos isn't wrong

I think it's impossible to answer to this question abstractly because abstractly it's always better to try to save the species in extinction for the principle to conserve intacte the nature et because every specie has utilities even if it causes harm.
But there are kinds of species which only causes harms like the mosquitos,the most dangerous animal in the world.
I think it isn't wrong to eradicate the mosquitos et it isn't immoral.
All the best.
Damiano

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Every creature has a function

In the post flood world? We didn't have to eat animals before the flood. You might re-think that statement. And it is a question, not rhetorical.

What does the mosquito do?