Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Wine, Hard Liquor, and Scripture

This is the show from Wednesday June 29th, 2011.

SUMMARY:

* God Condemns Drunkenness While Approving of Drinking Alcohol: A Denver pastor of a Church of Christ fellowship hosts a talk show that airs one hour before Bob Enyart Live. On June 29, 2011, Brian from Thornton called into the Church of Christ pastor's program and presented three lines of evidence that Bible teaching generally and Jesus in particular approve of drinking alcohol, but that to excess, it is drunkenness that is a sin. At Denver Bible Church we agree with Brian that God's Word approves of drinking alcohol including wine, beer, and other liquor. Why? Well you can listen to today's program or read the same biblical material at KGOV.com/wine in the article, What Does the Bible Say About Wine.

Today's Resource: Pastor Bob's verse-by-verse study of First Timothy is fascinating! Find out why the Apostle Paul writes to his beloved disciple Timothy about violent crime and gross sexual immorality. And glean fascinating truths from God’s qualifications for pastors and elders. For example, what does the Bible teach concerning the drinking of wine? Is it ok for a Christian to have beer and pizza (with pepperoni no less?) And what does the Bible really say about elders and pastors drinking alcohol? Also, learn why God prohibited a church from providing welfare support for a widow under sixty years of age. . You can hear this study by getting it on an MP3 CD through the mail or by instant MP3 download!

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is one area where the Church has been a legalistic flop. They do all kinds of Scripture twisting gymnastics to justify their legalism. One of the hardest scriptures for these legalists is the wedding at Cana.

John 2:9-11 - When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom, And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.
This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.

The highlighted section is especially problematic for the legalists.

I don't drink in front of members of my church because of the law of love. They think drinking is a sin and some of them struggle with alcoholism. When my husband and I have a nice dinner by ourselves we will have beer or wine. My favorite is a red sweet wine. I do drink wine regularly for heart health.

Legalism in this area has probably contributed to the problem of alcoholism. Guilt feeds it. I view wine and strong drink as a gift from God to be enjoyed. So to me they are treats to be enjoyed--drank slowly and the flavor relished.
Good program!

Status
Not open for further replies.