Why would God say He was going to do something and then change His mind and not do it?

marke

Jeremiah 18

5 Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying,

6 O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the Lord. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel.

7 At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it;

8 If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.

9 And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it;

10 If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them.

marke

Jeremiah 18

5 Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying,

6 O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the Lord. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel.

7 At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it;

8 If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.

9 And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it;

10 If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them.
Maybe God did not know the Jews were going to change direction so when they did they took Him by surprise? (I don't believe that but, of course, I am not a Calvinist.)

Gary K

Banned
Maybe God did not know the Jews were going to change direction so when they did they took Him by surprise? (I don't believe that but, of course, I am not a Calvinist.)
The answer to that is found in the entire chapter of Ezekiel 18. God treats nations corporately as he treats individuals: justly.

marke

The answer to that is found in the entire chapter of Ezekiel 18. God treats nations corporately as he treats individuals: justly.
God clearly has a desire to bless men, but must judge righteous judgment when dealing with changing human conditions and reactions to His word.

Bradley D

To turn from evil to God.

"When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened" (Jonah 3:10).