Why Was Canaan Cursed?

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Clete - That's so true. Take in the whole story before you weigh in on the details. I've even seen a formal hermeneutic maxim stating to consider the narrow or details first, then you may consider the wider context. At least they included the wider context.

You tell them the truth, and look at what you get. So where's the gladness and the rush of grateful thanksgiving? Shucks, I'd be happy with some reasonably objective responses from them.

Daniel H.

Consider This

Consider This

Look at the story of Lot and his daughters

Genesis 19:31-32 -- One day the older daughter said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is no man around here to lie with us, as is the custom all over the earth. Let's get our father to drink wine and then lie with him and preserve our family line through our father."

A similar situation, yet it explains pretty plainly what happened. Why would Ham's story be different?

I was studying this passage and a major difference between it and the story of Ham in Gen 9 is that this passage describes women sleeping with men [their father] where as Leviticus 18 and Gen 9 exclusively describes men sleeping with woman in a viariety of different situations. This may explain why in Gen 19 the same euphamism is not used as in Gen 9, since women sleeping with men was not descriped in the euphamism of Gen9 and Leviticus 18.

Do think there is something to this idea?
:mario:

Last edited:

Daniel H.

Good points you raise here.

I agree there is not enough story to come to this conclusion. The crime committed by Ham is more serious than told. Noah woke up and knew what Ham had done. Japheth and Shem didn't tell him leaving his wife as the informer. It becomes apparent that it could not just be seeing his father naked. Anybody walking by could have seen Noah naked; Ham happened to be passing by.The fact the the cursing takes place at the end of Noah's life, reveals he didn't have any more children when there was no reason not to.

Going deep into thes Hebrew texts suggests Ham had threatened to castrate his father. Was the actual crime castration? Some readers lean toward this explanation for Canaan's curse. Others lean towards maternal incest like Bob, yet others lean towards the missing red robe(symbol of divine authority) that Ham had allegedly stole from Noah after the flood.

http://members.aol.com/davecrnll/redrobe.html[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Does anyone know what he is talking about here, sorry but it seems a bit ridiculus? (THE HIGHLIGHTED PORTION ONLY):banana: