why own a gun?

Balder

Are you a criminal?

No, Aimiel. My life is probably "straighter" than many Christians' here. I'm just surprised that you think it in keeping with Christian standards to speak this way, and I'm more surprised that no one you've met has ever objected to it.

How about others here? Do you think referring to killing human beings as "taking out the trash" is a Christian way of thinking?

Maybe I should do a poll.

aharvey

Originally posted by Aimiel

You're the only person I've ever seen become upset with that term, which says more. Perhaps you take it personally. Maybe you're afraid for a reason. Those who do good don't have anything to fear from authority, only criminals. Are you a criminal?

Sound familiar? "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

Nineveh

Merely Christian
aharvey,
"...it's possible to mine quotes from the Bible to support a rather, er, broad range of contradictory positions..."

I never doubted your ability to read. I asked how you discern who is speaking closer to what the God of the Scriptures has said and who is not. Have you considered you might not be allowing for "audience" and "context" in your judgements?

I also asked, "Would you be willing to share your knowledge of the Biblical God." You did ineed give your understandings of things you believe He has said, I was asking how/where you derived those understandings.

brother Willi

Originally posted by Balder

No, Aimiel. My life is probably "straighter" than many Christians' here.

please excuse a question Balder

are you a Buddhist?

please dont take that question wrong.
you sound like you wont

I'm just surprised that you think it in keeping with Christian standards to speak this way, and I'm more surprised that no one you've met has ever objected to it.

How about others here? Do you think referring to killing human beings as "taking out the trash" is a Christian way of thinking?

Maybe I should do a poll.

i think im startin to understand someting here.

I SEE FEAR

any time a point for peace is made.
yep, a few misunderstood, verses are used to defend you right to
"taking out the trash"

i dont think even Balder will say death does not happen.
it happens to folks sleeping in bed, and folks robbing a bank holding hostages,raping the innocent.

the point Jesus made clear to me is that life is not ours to take, EVER!!!

there will me accidents, maybe trying to stop this SUPER EVIL MANâ„¢, you all dream up, but have never met face to face.
(or you"d all be a braggen how you blasted the varment dead)

you act must be with a clean heart.

if yus is a gonna be blastin, be shootn at the legs now hear.

DONT AIM AT HEAD.

Balder

Hi, Bro Willi,

Yes, I'm a Buddhist. I used to be a Christian, though.

Why do you ask?

Peace,
Balder

brother Willi

Originally posted by aharvey

Sound familiar? "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

thanks aharvey, i think i needed to remember that.

there is so much FEAR here

it explains alot

Aimiel

No, Aimiel. My life is probably "straighter" than many Christians' here.
Do you believe that if you earn enough brownie points (kharma) that you'll make it into Heaven? What do you believe will happen to you when you die? Where will you go?
I'm just surprised that you think it in keeping with Christian standards to speak this way, and I'm more surprised that no one you've met has ever objected to it.
That's because I don't believe that we ought to do so without trying every avenue of peace first, unlike the Japanese (Pearl Harbor), Germans (Poland), the Iraqis (Hussein and assorted terrorist groups) or anyone who might defy human rights or authority, so as to make themselves a threat, either to the US, our allies or even someone who might become our ally after being liberated from their oppressor(s). I don't believe that Libya is on the right track just yet, but don't propose that we nuke 'em, as you might suppose. I believe that they have taken the first turn onto the road to wisdom. I also believe that if there were more states which had the death penalty, that there would be less crime. Murder, treason, rape and homosexulity should be capital offenses.

Aimiel

I think Willi took The Word of God to heart, where It said to, "...do good unto all men," but stopped reading before he got to the part where It said, "...especially unto them who are of the household of faith."

Balder

Do you believe that if you earn enough brownie points (kharma) that you'll make it into Heaven? What do you believe will happen to you when you die? Where will you go?

Liberation in Buddhism is not about earning enough brownie points or collecting enough good karma. Karma is important -- it is a way of talking about relationships and intentions -- but it is not the "road to salvation." Why do you choose to do good? Because it's the good thing to do, or because you're afraid of getting in trouble and being severely punished if you don't? Personally, I believe living a life of love and respect for self and others is its own reward; it doesn't have to do with "earning" anything. I'm sure you agree with that.

Concerning your second paragraph, I'm not sure what it has to do with your fondness for referring to killing human beings as "taking out the trash."

Peace,
Balder

Aimiel

Concerning your second paragraph, I'm not sure what it has to do with your fondness for referring to killing human beings as "taking out the trash."
OK, I'll type this real s l o w so that you can get it. Hitler was trash that had to be taken out, as was Hirohito, Hussein, Castro, bin Laden, Arafat, Mussolini, Stalin, Lenin, Khrushchev, Napoleon, Antoinette, Attilla, Goliath, Saul and even Satan. They're all marked. They're trash. They have no business in authority, but have taken to abusing those they were entrusted to care for. That's treason. That deserves punishment.

It isn't about being a nice guy, or being right. It's about being faithful with what The Lord sees fit to put into your hands. It's about having integrity, character. Those who prove that they don't have a shred of it don't deserve to live. :think:

aharvey

Originally posted by Nineveh

aharvey,
"...it's possible to mine quotes from the Bible to support a rather, er, broad range of contradictory positions..."

I never doubted your ability to read. I asked how you discern who is speaking closer to what the God of the Scriptures has said and who is not. Have you considered you might not be allowing for "audience" and "context" in your judgements?

I also asked, "Would you be willing to share your knowledge of the Biblical God." You did ineed give your understandings of things you believe He has said, I was asking how/where you derived those understandings.

Nineveh,

I don't understand the point of your questions here. How do I discern who's closer to the true intentions of Scripture? By comparing what people say to what I see Jesus actually saying. I've given you my impressions, I gave you examples of statements that led to this impression. I do very well understand the notion of audiences and context; aren't those the main reasons people can come to differing interpretations? I don't think the context of my quotes were inaccurate. Certainly not as inaccurate as Turbo claiming that Jesus instructing his disciples to get a couple of swords showed that He supports the use of weaponry in self-defence, especially as he later chastizes Peter for doing so with one of those self-same swords!

But sure, maybe I don't have the audience and context quite right either. I've spent probably thousands of hours during my life being exposed to the Bible and various interpreters thereof, but I don't claim that that gives me any special insights. The whole reason I jumped in here is because I thought BW's point was reasonable, certainly reasonable enough to bear serious discussion, but has generated anything but.

brother Willi

Originally posted by aharvey

Nineveh,

I don't understand the point of your questions here. How do I discern who's closer to the true intentions of Scripture? By comparing what people say to what I see Jesus actually saying. I've given you my impressions, I gave you examples of statements that led to this impression. I do very well understand the notion of audiences and context; aren't those the main reasons people can come to differing interpretations? I don't think the context of my quotes were inaccurate. Certainly not as inaccurate as Turbo claiming that Jesus instructing his disciples to get a couple of swords showed that He supports the use of weaponry in self-defence, especially as he later chastizes Peter for doing so with one of those self-same swords!

But sure, maybe I don't have the audience and context quite right either. I've spent probably thousands of hours during my life being exposed to the Bible and various interpreters thereof, but I don't claim that that gives me any special insights. The whole reason I jumped in here is because I thought BW's point was reasonable, certainly reasonable enough to bear serious discussion, but has generated anything but.

aharvey, when you get taught the Word of Jesus, with a HUGE dose of FEAR.you get fearfull Christians.

i gather you learned what Jesus had to teach, without the FEAR blasted in your ears.

brother Willi

Liberation in Buddhism is not about earning enough brownie points or collecting enough good karma. Karma is important -- it is a way of talking about relationships and intentions -- but it is not the "road to salvation." Why do you choose to do good? Because it's the good thing to do, or because you're afraid of getting in trouble and being severely punished if you don't? Personally, I believe living a life of love and respect for self and others is its own reward; it doesn't have to do with "earning" anything. I'm sure you agree with that.

Peace,
Balder

my understanding on Buddhism is, if you behave unjustly, you are not granted further enlightenment. is this true?

might want to reply in my other thread,

billygoat

How did I get such great kids??
LIFETIME MEMBER
carrying a gun

carrying a gun

:doh: I don't carry a gun, I carry two guns; and don't even think about comin into my house...I have so many guns I can reach one no matter where I am...I will shoot a bad guy dead...In love of course...sorry I didn't read all the other posts yet..I will, I promise....but what do you mean about a Christian not needing a gun? Criminals don't rape Christian women and rob and kill Christians???

Crow

Re: carrying a gun

Re: carrying a gun

Originally posted by billygoat

:doh: I don't carry a gun, I carry two guns; and don't even think about comin into my house...I have so many guns I can reach one no matter where I am...I will shoot a bad guy dead...In love of course...sorry I didn't read all the other posts yet..I will, I promise....but what do you mean about a Christian not needing a gun? Criminals don't rape Christian women and rob and kill Christians???

:BRAVO: :bow:

billygoat

How did I get such great kids??
LIFETIME MEMBER
A Christian who would stand by and watch his 17 year old daugter and his own beloved wife brutally, and repeatedly raped by a gang of animals because he can;t stop them; is this man a man? Is he a good husband? Will his wife respect him, and look him in the eye? Is he a godly man, allowing his wife to be abased and treated like an animal. After eight men have raped his beautiful virgin daughter, what manhood does her father have remeining? The best thing he can do is end his miserable pathetic life....His wife and daughter want nothing to do with this coward,

We men sometimes have to die for our woman. Life is not so precious that it is the only thing that matters. I prefer death with honor than life with none. This world is NOT OUR HOME, remember?? Weesa passin thru..your safety and cimfort is NOTHING

No, self respect matters a great deal. Honor still matters. I want to sit at the feet of MY SAVIOUR and hear those long awaited works...well done, son. You did all you could have been expected to do. If I coul;d only kill three of therm before they killed me, then so be it. God is able to heal the worst hurts, but not cowardice and caving in to fear,,,We men must be men:Grizzly: :jeffrson: