why own a gun?

brother Willi

Originally posted by philosophizer

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 --
1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Do you have love?
you tell me

do i?

philosophizer

Originally posted by brother Willi

you tell me

do i?

Luke 6:32-33 --
32"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. 33And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that.

Can you show love to those who ask questions against your beliefs? Can you give them answers? Do you care?

brother Willi

32"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. 33And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that.

Can you show love to those who ask questions against your beliefs? Can you give them answers? Do you care?

am i not attacked for living these words?

philosophizer

am i not attacked for living these words?

Romans 14:19-21 --
19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

If you are being attacked, why do you not love your attackers by giving them what they want-- by turning the other cheek?

They want answers to questions. You refuse to give them this. You are doing something to cause your brother to fall. You are not showing love. You do not seem to care.

brother Willi

Romans 14:19-21 --
19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

If you are being attacked, why do you not love your attackers by giving them what they want-- by turning the other cheek?

They want answers to questions. You refuse to give them this. You are doing something to cause your brother to fall. You are not showing love. You do not seem to care.
if i give you a fish, you eat for one day.

if i teach you how to fish, you eat everyday.

questions make folks think a lot harder

philosophizer

im sorry if you see it as inconsiderate

please tell me why
From post #176
When I asked about banishment today, you talk about Australia. I understand the reference, but it does nothing toward answering my question.

When I asked you to show me where Jesus would support imprisoning murderers, you replied about stopping a fist. That didn't even ADDRESS the quote that it was a reply to.

When I challenged your idea that police in other countries don't carry weapons, you told me what I could do if I became a policeman. What does that have to do with my challenge?!!

:D
Congrats on that third green star, by the way.

philosophizer

how would you answer your questions?
My questions were about your beliefs. I can't answer them. And even if I could, it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

The main point of that post was to ask you about imprisonment. Would you have murderers imprisoned their whole lives? If so, why? Is it because of something Jesus said? If so, what?

And the second point was about police who don't carry guns. They do carry something. If it's not alright for a cop to use a gun on a criminal, is it okay to use a billy club?

howbout that
thank you:D
You're welcome.

brother Willi

My questions were about your beliefs. I can't answer them. And even if I could, it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

The main point of that post was to ask you about imprisonment. Would you have murderers imprisoned their whole lives? If so, why? Is it because of something Jesus said? If so, what?
i see jail more in what Jesus taught then a good stoneing to death.
do you?
And the second point was about police who don't carry guns. They do carry something. If it's not alright for a cop to use a gun on a criminal, is it okay to use a billy club?

if it is called for, yes

but justly, and with mercy.

we must always see ourselves in our brothers and sisters.

do your questions teach me?

You're welcome. [/QUOTE]

Aimiel

Originally posted by aharvey

Sorry, I don't see how that makes BW's viewpoint so wrong that it's not even worth considering.
For the same reason that selling everything that you have and giving all your money to the poor isn't done... a lack of faith. If we trusted The Lord half as much as we think we do, we'd do as He said, not as we think. We think we're walking by faith, but most of what we do shows what we have faith in: money. We work, we buy guns to defend our 'stuff' and we save money for vacations. I just don't see where someone ought to be foolish enough to put their life on the line, not keeping a gun in the house and not being willing to defend the lives and safety of their family (apparently) by thinking that one suggestion by The Lord would mean that their obedience is mandatory, when one isn't follwing all that He said, or at least looking at the context of what was said. It just seems too far-fetched. It reminds me of the 'snake-handling' churches, for some reason. Completely out-of-context; and not worth regarding as sound or acceptable doctrine.

aharvey

Originally posted by Aimiel

For the same reason that selling everything that you have and giving all your money to the poor isn't done... a lack of faith. If we trusted The Lord half as much as we think we do, we'd do as He said, not as we think. We think we're walking by faith, but most of what we do shows what we have faith in: money. We work, we buy guns to defend our 'stuff' and we save money for vacations. I just don't see where someone ought to be foolish enough to put their life on the line, not keeping a gun in the house and not being willing to defend the lives and safety of their family (apparently) by thinking that one suggestion by The Lord would mean that their obedience is mandatory, when one isn't follwing all that He said, or at least looking at the context of what was said. It just seems too far-fetched. It reminds me of the 'snake-handling' churches, for some reason. Completely out-of-context; and not worth regarding as sound or acceptable doctrine.

Nope, still not getting it. Your first couple of sentences seem to say that we work to get money, buy stuff, buy guns to protect our stuff, because we don't have enough faith in the Lord to do what he actually said to do (which I assume does NOT revolve around money, stuff, and protection thereof!), not as we think. So far you sound like you're exactly on the same page as BW. The second half of your post seems to be where you dismiss his viewpoint, but frankly, your arguments don't add up to me.

I agree that it is inappropriate to base your entire view on this or any other issue on one statement (suggestion? I've never heard of Jesus's teaching being considered mere suggestions before!), especially without properly recognizing the context of the statement. However, if you follow this thread, this has been more of a problem with the pro-gun (pro-sword?) crowd. BW's argument, as aggravatingly as he may seem to be presenting it, is in fact that when you look overall at what Jesus said and did, it's hard to justify the legal weaponry and aggression that seem to characterize our society. And I happen to think that that's a valid viewpoint worthy of more serious consideration than is being presented here, for exactly the reasons that you wish to deny it!

brother Willi

Matthew 25:36
naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.'

Matthew 25:39
'When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?'

Crow

Matthew 25:36
naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.'

Matthew 25:39
'When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?'

Do you think that these verses endorse a prison system?

Nineveh

Merely Christian

i answered your question, with a question.
did you think about my questions?

You said, "protect, YES. with a weapon, NOPE."

I asked, "How might you protect your family against an armed villian unarmed?"

You "answered", " when does Jesus teach you your enemies life is yours to take? your enemies life belongs to God."

Either your "protection" is simply standing by to watch the slaughter, or you believe an evil man has the "right" to take your family's lives while you don't have the right to stop the evil.

Out of curiosity...

If you saw another man's wife being murdered, would you stop it? If yes, How far would you go to stop it?

brother Willi

Originally posted by Crow

Do you think that these verses endorse a prison system?

for now
what was the punishment for murder given to Cain?
banishment.not death

hard to banish a person in the world today without jail of sometype.

whats your thoughts

should it be a new thread?