ECT Why literalism cannot be Biblical--Isaiah 55

Interplanner

There is a 2nd century item that says that a restored Israel might be forthcoming. I think the delay after the DofJ took everyone by surprise, and no one knew what to expect. But of all the directions they could have gone, a restored Israel or Old Covenant set up should really have been relegated right away.

Interplanner

Is the idea of Israel being different than the Body of Christ external to scripture?

Interesting way to put the question, but the NT is crammed with merging all those who have faith into one body, no matter race, class, ethne, etc. Once that is established as the objective, differences about Israel and unique events there fade away. There is no reference to Israel as such in NT passages on the 2nd coming/day of judgement such as Rom 2, 8, I Cor 15, 2 Tim 4, Heb 9, Acts 17, 2 Pet 3, etc.

There is, of course, the background which Israel has, and Paul wanted to see that leveraged for evangelism and mission work.

ClimateSanity

Interesting way to put the question, but the NT is crammed with merging all those who have faith into one body, no matter race, class, ethne, etc. Once that is established as the objective, differences about Israel and unique events there fade away. There is no reference to Israel as such in NT passages on the 2nd coming/day of judgement such as Rom 2, 8, I Cor 15, 2 Tim 4, Heb 9, Acts 17, 2 Pet 3, etc.

There is, of course, the background which Israel has, and Paul wanted to see that leveraged for evangelism and mission work.

That doesn't make it external to Scripture.

Interplanner

Within about 100 years of the DofJ, there is a paragraph by Irenaeus in which he thinks there might be another episode with Israel. It uses Dan 9 the opposite of the normal sense validated by the apostles, as I recall.

But in his defense, I think the delayed 2nd coming in judgement was a true puzzle for most believers of the 2nd generation. As you may know, Paul had no idea there would be a delay. I mean, it does not even appear to be an alternate as in Mark 13, Mt 24, 2 Peter 3.