Why Do You Believe in Prison?

Daniel1611

A question for Christians that support prison as punishment. Why do you support prison as punishment for wrong doing? The Bible gives punishments that we are to use, and prison is not one of them.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
A question for Christians that support prison as punishment. Why do you support prison as punishment for wrong doing? The Bible gives punishments that we are to use, and prison is not one of them.

what ? you mean caveman, barbarian days ? old testament punishments ?
sure, that's fine, it's better than housing criminals and paying to keep them alive right ? is that what you want ?

i believe the punishment almost always fits the crime, in this life or the next. call it karma, heaven and hell, ying yang or whatever. prison is not a vacation; loss of freedom and time. some crimes deserve death and it should be done swiftly when proven guilty, not decades of appeals. and anyone with multiple life sentences should be able to choose lethal injection. just think of the money that would be saved !

one way or another

eye for an eye -

Daniel1611

I'm asking why Christians would believe in using prison as a punishment. It isn't prescribed by the Bible, so why do you think it is okay?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I'm asking why Christians would believe in using prison as a punishment. It isn't prescribed by the Bible, so why do you think it is okay?

certainly the bible teaches and DOES punish violators of the Commandments and all of Moses' 613 laws - what would you prefer, be-headings or chopping hands off of thieves etc. ? prison is as old as civilization, just like the Bible

The tradition that 613 commandments (Hebrew: תרי"ג מצוות‎: taryag mitzvot, "613 mitzvot") is the number of mitzvot in the Torah, began in the 3rd century CE, when Rabbi Simlai mentioned it in a sermon that is recorded in Talmud Makkot 23b.

Daniel1611

certainly the bible teaches and DOES punish violators of the Commandments and all of Moses' 613 laws - what would you prefer, be-headings or chopping hands off of thieves etc. ? prison is as old as civilization, just like the Bible

The tradition that 613 commandments (Hebrew: תרי"ג מצוות‎: taryag mitzvot, "613 mitzvot") is the number of mitzvot in the Torah, began in the 3rd century CE, when Rabbi Simlai mentioned it in a sermon that is recorded in Talmud Makkot 23b.

Show me where prison is endorsed in the Bible. I don't care what some rabbi says.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

why do I think it's OK ? what's the alternative ? you make no cents
who are you asking ? Christians like you and me ? -

Bradley D

The Apostle Paul wrote that we should obey the governing authorities. To me that includes punishment for breaking the law.

Submission to Authorities

"Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.…" (Romans 13:1).

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The Apostle Paul wrote that we should obey the governing authorities. To me that includes punishment for breaking the law.

Submission to Authorities

"Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.…" (Romans 13:1).

great post

exactly. the Bible is full of scripture explaining obedience - i didn't post any because it seems like i had the point of the op wrong - i believe in prison/incarceration for criminals, i'm done here -

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

why do you believe everything you need to know is in the bible?